1.    #1  
    Hi All

Anyone have the small plastic middle of the mini usb port break?This has been a total nightmare dealing with Sprint support,local Sprint store,30 day warrenty at Sprint.They keep telling me its user damage I have to disagree.Personaly I dont think a mini USB port is a good choice for daily plugging and unplugging your phone to charge it.They should have supplied Touchstones with all pre's or offer a more stable port for charging a phone that uses so much battery life in one day.If you dont have a touchstone to charge your phone I would get one or you might be fighting with sprint and palm to fix or replace your phone.

Petee
    I thought mine was going to be a problem but so far so good.
    I've had my Pre since 6 June with no touch stone and I have no problem with the mini usb port, then again I only charge one a day.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    When I first bought my Pre, I would have immediately agreed with you. I still do, but to a lesser degree. I, too, bought my Pre on the 6th and my door is still A.O.K. You just have to be gentle and either have long nails or use the slide-out keyboard method to open it.

Good luck solving your issue!
    I think it will eventually break off for everyone, some sooner than others. I bought a Touchstone after treating that door like it was an eggshell while plugging it in to charge every day. There's no covering for the headphone jack, so there's absolutely no reason Palm couldn't have integrated the USB port the same way (flush with the case, painted black so it doesn't ruin the aesthetic).
    Never thought about sliding out the kb first. That works like a charm!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    It's actually a micro-usb port and not a mini-usb port. This matters because the micro-usb, unlike mini-usb, is rated for 10,000 connect/disconnect cycles. They chose it as a connector because it's more reliable than the alternatives.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pupator View Post
    This matters because the micro-usb, unlike mini-usb, is rated for 10,000 connect/disconnect cycles.
    So, there is a way to track how many times you open and close your slider, how much air time you use, and how much data you connect... what's the ## code to see how many times you have plugged your phone in???

Mine is broken, too. Actually not the usb port. The plastic guide frame part of the USB port is broken.

Pre's OS is fantastic but the H/W quality is terrible.

I ordered the touch stone.
  10.    #10  
    Im talking about the usb port itself not the door...if you look inside the " micro-usb port"
    the middle section there is plastic piece with small metal prongs...well about 1/3 of the plastic broke revealing a metal prong,now I cant charge or tranfer data
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    wow dude, this is user error, USER ERROR, be more gentle when plugging and unplugging the charger. I don't plan to get a touch stone, had my phone since 6/6 and never had a problem breaking the middle of my MICRO-usb port.
    Don't assume it's user error. From the complaints I've read, these Pres are not the sturdiest products, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear the thing just snapped on the guy. This is the best phone I've ever had, but it's also the most fragile.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    I disagree, while there are minor production defects, i wouldn't say it is the most fragile. I've dropped the pre (still pissed about that) and it has nary a scratch on it and my slider is still rock solid.
    The plastic guide under my pre's micro ports door (where right near where after opening the slider you pull the door from got snagged and it broke off) very small and unnoticable. not an issue.
    Mini USB as a standard port does not mean the material's they used are the best. Consider filing a grievance with the ISO standard's board.