1.    #1  
    This is insane... somehow when my pre is plugged into my comp via usb the battery will show that it's charging, but it will continue to decrease.

Plugging it into the AC adapter charges it, and more importantly, KEEPS it charged - unlike when it's plugged into my comp.
    Quote Originally Posted by xstaticxgpx View Post
    This is insane... somehow when my pre is plugged into my comp via usb the battery will show that it's charging, but it will continue to decrease.

Plugging it into the AC adapter charges it, and more importantly, KEEPS it charged - unlike when it's plugged into my comp.
    I had this problem with my Pre plugged into the care while using the GPS Navigation Yesterday. I was dropping a lot slower than it would have if it were not plugged in, but I think this is a somewhat common complaint.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    I have the same issue, sometimes you have to plug it in, make sure it goes up atleast 1% and then let it charge. It will say its charging when I sleep and Ill wake up at 40% battery.
    Mine only charges properly via USB if it's plugged into the hardwired USB ports on the back of the computer. If I use the front USB ports or a powered hub, it's a no-go.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    USB may supply less power than is being used. This isn't surprising, since the Pre apparently uses an excessive amount of power.
    is it because its a trickle charger or something?

I used to own a Gizmondo and that had the problem that it wouldn't run straight of the ac adapter but had to run from the battery and often the you'd use more power than the battery could give you.. so even though the battery was plugged it wouldn't charge..

Make sense?
    No surprise here. The computer USB port provides 500mA, whereas the Pre requires more like 1A to charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    No surprise here. The computer USB port provides 500mA, whereas the Pre requires more like 1A to charge.
    Yep, charger is 1A.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Yeah, I noticed the same thing at work today. The powered hub in my monitor wasn't charging my Pre, though it was plugged in. The nice part is that it keeps wifi active when plugged in, even when the screen goes off, so I can keep my ssh connection open.
    Maybe the battery doesn't like your USB and, thus, wants to loose itself from the Pre...
    I was using my phones GPS and noticed the battery draining... I tried restarting.. removing the battery... airplane mode.. and turning it off to charge (which is impossible)

There was nothing I could do. I wrote down the directions on my leg and went 10 miles off course all because my damn phone wouldn't charge.

Is it the phone or the charger? I have a Palm usb charger made for the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I was using my phones GPS and noticed the battery draining... I tried restarting.. removing the battery... airplane mode.. and turning it off to charge (which is impossible)

There was nothing I could do. I wrote down the directions on my leg and went 10 miles off course all because my damn phone wouldn't charge.

Is it the phone or the charger? I have a Palm usb charger made for the pre.
    Maybe your charger, though a Palm one is not meant for use with the Pre. The following from another thread ( http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...r-charger.html ) may help.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The car charger that is sold at Best Buy is Palm Part number 3437. This unit was made for the Treo 800w and the Treo Pro it is not made for the Pre. It does not put out enough power to charge the Pre while running GPS navigation. Palm discontinued 3437 (and sold them all the Best Buy?) for the Palm part number 3453 which is designed for the Palm Pre and will charge the Pre while running GPS navigation and streaming music. I have 2 of the 3453 and they charge almost twice as fast as 3437 and about 1.5x faster than the Sprint Charger.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    mine charges fine off my PC, just slower.

I do have a nice power supply, and its possible that it supplies a true 500mA to the USB ports, where as other power supplies may struggle to properly maintain adequate power.

I currently have a web cam, SD/MMC card reader, mouse, backlit keyboard and bluetooth adapter running off my USB ports, so there is plenty of power being drawn from them, and the pre has no trouble charging.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    I would suspect a cable.
    Not the cable.

I do have the 3453 charger made for the pre. ...maybe not made to run pre using gps. Pathetic.
  16.    #16  
    Yea, I noticed no difference with the front(case)/back(mobo) usb ports and the charging speed... I have a more than decent PSU, this is just a serious design flaw on palm's part, still love the pre though.
    Yea, I noticed no difference with the front(case)/back(mobo) usb ports and the charging speed... I have a more than decent PSU, this is just a serious design flaw on palm's part, still love the pre though.
    It is not a reflection on Palm that the USB port is only intended to provide 500mA and the Pre may require more for charging. You can only expect charging if the Pre is using minimal power.
    It is part of the USB spec that PC's will supply 500ma. This has nothing to do with Palm at all.
    But they SHOULD make a decent charger that will still charge while using GPS. I will just use my garmin I guess.
    Well, I'm pissed.

I purchased third party car chargers for my Pre and they have not been able to keep the phone charged when using the GPS application. I finally broke down and purchased a a Palm car charger and it does not work. This is my third charger I exchanged from Best Buy (model# 3402, 1.0A output), tried it with two different cars and nothing.

I called Palm support and they tell me that because of the limitations of the car charger the phone will only charge when doing "normal phone operations" this apparently does not include playing media or using GPS. No defects. Thanks for your money, goodbye.

Are both my cars just not able to charge this phone (a Dodge Neon, Saab 95)? I had no issue with any other phone. Something wrong with my phone? It charges fine via usb wall charger and touchstone. Either way, Palm support (including a supervisor) didn't care.