85 Global Posts
    would be nice.ipods do, would make sense. Touch pro 2 does
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Does Pre have Video Out capabilities?
    no idea would be cool
    That would be a no for now
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I had a video out cable for my touch pro..
    Used it exactly one in the year that I had that phone (and that was during testing)
    -mark
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    In the CES keynote videos, and the cellphone manufacturers get together in Spain a few months ago, they appear to be utilizing some kind of video out from the Pre for the presentation.

So is it technically possible? I'd say yes.

Is it something we'll see implemented on the phone? I highly doubt it.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about. Notice the cable going from the phone:

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    I had a video out cable for my touch pro..
    Used it exactly one in the year that I had that phone (and that was during testing)
    -mark
    I still have my video out cable from my touch pro. I was thinking about buying a mini usb > micro to see what would happen if I plug it in. I highly doubt it will do anything but there are adapters on eBay for cheap.

Mini USB to Micro Adapter Convert Charger For Motorola - eBay (item 260437163624 end time Jul-27-09 17:19:42 PDT)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    In the CES keynote videos, and the cellphone manufacturers get together in Spain a few months ago, they appear to be utilizing some kind of video out from the Pre for the presentation.

So is it technically possible? I'd say yes.

Is it something we'll see implemented on the phone? I highly doubt it.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about. Notice the cable going from the phone:

This is promising! It wont be very useful unless Pre launches a Video recording App, then one could watch videos recroded on a TV, one other App this would be nice for is PPT presos but there is no Docs to Go App But it still is a great way to carry a PPT preso and use the phone as a menas of playing it.
    Don't forget, the prototype unit used in that presentation also had a micro-SD slot in it. It's entirely possible that it had all kinds of things ours don't. The fact that that one could do video out says nothing about whether ours can or can't.
    maybe we can try to VNC into the Pre and output the video over the wifi to a networked computer
    I can see a Palm Pre HD with this capability. Youtube videos, SprintTV, photos, etc...video out would be great to have for sharing! It just goes with the flow (hear me Palm!)!!
  12. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    Does Pre have Video Out capabilities?

Yes. The beagleboard used in the OMAP 3430 chipset our Pre's come with, supports DVI-D & S VIDEO. How we can access these interfaces, remains to be seen.

Source:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._described.jpg

and

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

OMAP™ 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    Last edited by enjoyingsilence; 07/13/2009 at 11:02 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    Yes. The beagleboard used in the OMAP 3430 chipset our Pre's come with, supports DVI-D & S VIDEO. How we can access these interfaces, remains to be see.

Source:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._described.jpg

and

Texas Instruments OMAP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

OMAPô 3 Processors - OMAP3430
    Good find! I am sure w/ future software releases we will se emore capabilties.

I am beginning to think that the Palm Pre is really a premature release & like MS beta OS's we are the test market to see what the Future Pre phone will become
    As pointed out above, the CPU has that capability, but there's probably nothing connected to that output on the Pre. Maybe Pre 2.
  15. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    As pointed out above, the CPU has that capability, but there's probably nothing connected to that output on the Pre. Maybe Pre 2.
    The connector is probably there, on the beagleboard, however, to use it, we'd probably need to open up our Pre's, and connect a S VIDEO cable to it. To do that, we'd need the pin out map for the SVIDEO connector on the beagleboard, most likely. And we'd need to either develop some sort of custom connector to change svideo from that standard round connector, to a squarish (I assume) flat-ish connector --- OR --- solder/sauder? it to the beagleboard by hand... and that'd void your warranty.

It's not for the faint of heart, lol.

To be honest, Video over USB is a lot easier to implement.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by enjoyingsilence View Post
    .....To be honest, Video over USB is a lot easier to implement.
    It woul dbe cool to have Video Out Capability through the Micro to USB
    I would like to know how many people used the video out on the Pro on a regular basis... I thought it would be cool, and I had my Pro for a long long time... Although I never used the video out. Only when I first got it to show it off... Other then that, I've always had access to a computer or dvd player so I dont see a point.
    I can understand if you have to do presentations and stuff, but other then that... I don't see much of the everyday user getting use from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  18. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Just one thing to point out, and I don't mean to dash anyone's hopes, but there's no actual way to access video output from the Pre. Unless you see a port that I don't?
    one video port i see is the headphone jack!! I have a cannon camera S700 i think that came with a video cord(and audio) that plugged into a headphone jack... hmmm looks like i'm going to try and find that cable now!! LoL just to see what happens.

just tried... nothing. But it is possible to have video out of the headphone jack.
    Last edited by antonio3; 07/14/2009 at 08:10 AM.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    one video port i see is the headphone jack!! I have a cannon camera S700 i think that came with a video cord(and audio) that plugged into a headphone jack... hmmm looks like i'm going to try and find that cable now!! LoL just to see what happens.
    I'm sure if it was that simple the PRE would have had this as an feature listed on there phone...but they don't so it won't work without some type of app producing the video signal to that port.
    Sprint Palm Pre-
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast