1.    #1  
    Hi All,

First post from me.

Am a potential pre user, found the site today so started to have a look at some of the topics to get a feel of whats currently going on, its good to see an active user community !

I'm currently using an iPhone, I am a big fan of the iPhone and have had a positive experience with it. However there is one fairly big drawback for me (and I'm sure others have had this)...the requirement to have iTunes in order to sync music, photos etc. I run Linux as my main OS, in order to update my iPhone I have a VM slice running XP purely for iTunes, this is slow and a pain to be honest.

Hence looking at the Palm Pre, I like the look of it and functionality fits well with me, it also means I can upload music from Linux (ideally I'd want to automate this process from my Linux server)

Am interested in feedback from anyone using linux as their main OS, pro's and con's etc.

Also seems on a thread just below this that the music player has some gaps, how do people think that will go ?

Cheers
    Ian, Leeds, UK
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Welcome, Ian!

I don't use Linux as my primary desktop, but this topic interests me as well.
    Hey Ian,

I'm another UKer and i too use Linux!, Can't you use Amarok for the syncing of music?,

I'll await some interesting feedback in this topic,

Timmy, South of London, UK
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    The music app is useable but not amazing. you hold down forward and it speeds through the song (no scrubber to manually move where you want it) same for rewind. I use the music player everyday and I am ok with the shortcomings and I am sure it will be updated or someone will make a third party music player. I would get the pre! Once you get used to the OS everything else is will seem outdated... I even caught myself doing gestures on the iphone 3GS by accident like an ***** lol.

I love the fact that I just click an drag a 7 gig folder of music from my pc to the phone and boom I am done! No itunes for me thank you
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by DuStU View Post
    The music app is useable but not amazing. you hold down forward and it speeds through the song (no scrubber to manually move where you want it) same for rewind. I use the music player everyday and I am ok with the shortcomings and I am sure it will be updated or someone will make a third party music player. I would get the pre! Once you get used to the OS everything else is will seem outdated... I even caught myself doing gestures on the iphone 3GS by accident like an ***** lol.

I love the fact that I just click an drag a 7 gig folder of music from my pc to the phone and boom I am done! No itunes for me thank you
    Thats exactly what I'm looking for, I have a lot of Logitech Squeezebox kit so my music collection is well organised, it would be great to drag and drop the latest few albums onto my phone without having to use iTunes !

Timmy - Using Amarok would be great for me, I use that with my old iPod and it syncs well, was wondering what Linux apps people were syncing from or whether they were dragging and dropping