Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    On MSNBC, they just showed a commercial that highlighted the Pre (including a guy flipping life sized cards) as well as the Now Network. I definitely thought it was a great ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    On MSNBC, they just showed a commercial that highlighted the Pre (including a guy flipping life sized cards) as well as the Now Network. I definitely thought it was a great ad.
    Just saw that on CNN. It's not really deep, but it looks like the flavor of what you guys here are looking for.
    Message retention, brand recognition, and "watercooler discussion."

I'd say they got it right. It's attention getting, mysterious, confusing, purposefully creepy and quite frankly very memorable.

Seems like a formula for success. Clearly it isn't a stand-alone commercial. I'd bet there will be a series of them, each telling a little more of the story, appealing to different demographics.
    Attention getting only because it's so bad...no other reason really.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I was pulled. I personally would prefer commercials that show the product off; however, I (and I suspect most of you posting about this) already have a Palm Pre!!! I decided, even before I read the post, that I fit in that group mentioned by GMoney749 that doesn't get "their info on a device from a TV commercial." But, I decided that before I posted, I too would put it to an ultimate test.
    My wife (and I too have been married a long time) doesn't have a Pre. She has a Centro and though she probably knows it's inevitiable that she'll eventually get one, she's not exactly chomping at the bit to get a Pre.
    I had her watch the commercial. She said she'd love a device that made her life as easy as "bing bing bing". She also said it goes well with the other commercial (which means she remembered it, one of the cardinal rules of advertising).

Sorry folks, but I say this one goes to Palm.
    Thus far, the anecdotal evidence would be that chicks dig the commercials while guys don't. And Palm has already stated that their main target was going to be chicks, so those ads work on that level.

In the meantime, Sprint is working the other angle with the Now Network/Pre ads. I think they're covering all bases nicely now. Just wait till you see the new NEW Now/Pre ad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Thus far, the anecdotal evidence would be that chicks dig the commercials while guys don't. And Palm has already stated that their main target was going to be chicks, so those ads work on that level.

In the meantime, Sprint is working the other angle with the Now Network/Pre ads. I think they're covering all bases nicely now. Just wait till you see the new NEW Now/Pre ad.
    Exactly. I just showed it to my wife from the link on Engadget. Didn't say anything beforehand, just said "Hey, check this out" and started playing it.

About half way through playing:

She: "Yeah, I like that one, it's cool".

Me: "You've seen it before"?

She: "Yeah, it's nice. Why?"

Me: "Some guys on the Pre forum think it's horrible".

She: "That commercial is obviously not for guys."

For those of you that think everything is about you; it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    I was thinking Borg Queen.
    i agree, that was the first thought that went through my mind ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Exactly. I just showed it to my wife from the link on Engadget. Didn't say anything beforehand, just said "Hey, check this out" and started playing it.

About half way through playing:

She: "Yeah, I like that one, it's cool".

Me: "You've seen it before"?

She: "Yeah, it's nice. Why?"

Me: "Some guys on the Pre forum think it's horrible".

She: "That commercial is obviously not for guys."

For those of you that think everything is about you; it's not.
    I know it sounds like me just saying "me too", but that really is almost exactly the same conversation I had with my wife tonight.

Guys (and even gals) on here: This commercial likely wasn't targeting you. You already have decided.

As much as I hate to say, one or two more of these, and my wife is going to be bugging me to get her Pre.

I want her to wait until the Pre II is out, so I can give her mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As much as I hate to say, one or two more of these, and my wife is going to be bugging me to get her Pre.

I want her to wait until the Pre II is out, so I can give her mine.
    This just in: "I want one of those."
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    This just in: "I want one of those."
    LOL! I'd say, targeted and effective. It's kinda funny that all the tech sites are alive with negative critiques of that commercial. Geeks they are, ad men who know they're targeted audience, they're not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    LOL! I'd say, targeted and effective. It's kinda funny that all the tech sites are alive with negative critiques of that commercial. Geeks they are, ad men who know they're targeted audience, they're not.
    LOL. I don't know if we can give all the credit to the commercial, but as she laid her head on her pillow tonight she asked if Sprint has a family plan (her and the boys are on Verizon). My youngest son has been eyeing the Pre too.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    LOL. I don't know if we can give all the credit to the commercial, but as she laid her head on her pillow tonight she asked if Sprint has a family plan (her and the boys are on Verizon). My youngest son has been eyeing the Pre too.
    YES!!!! Entire family conversions! (They do have excellent family plans.)

Maybe the chick in the commercial really is the Borg Queen. It would appear that she's already assimilating your family.
    "Bing" "Bing" "Bing"

haha awful

horrible commercial...if I was someone else looking at this commercial....I wouldnt buy that phone

not after what htc is cookin up
    Idk, everyone in here seemed pretty depressed/pissed off before the pre was released. Now that the pre has been released the aura of pissed offness seems to have subsided.

I'm no scientist, but I think the pre has antidepressive qualities. That must be what the commercial is trying to convey.
    -Sarah Palin

I'm just glad they are not using mimes in their commercials. You know they thought about it...
    that commercial lacked a soul, much like the girl...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123