Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I thought commercials were supposed to make you interested in the product not creeped out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    ... then its easy for me to see how Palm is trying to play to the fat middle in showing its strength...multi-tasking....
    This is the route they should go to, but they are failing horribly. Take the "bing bing bing" commercial where the woman is switching tasks. I own a pre and I only barely understand what she's doing.

If you have zero experience with the pre, you have no idea that she's swiping different open applications. It's not obvious if it is not being explained as she does the actions. So really, all Palm is trying to say is "using the pre is like heaven" and yet, that means nothing when everyone else is giving practical uses for their smartphones.

Abstract feelings are good in advertising only when your advantages are clear. That is why Apple and RIM are going the practicality and functionality route in their advertising.

Right now, for anyone who does not own a pre (or hasn't looked for one) these commercials mean nothing and are easily forgotten. Hell the only reason I remembered these commercials was because I own a pre, but now I remember seeing them prior to owning my pre and disregarding them.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    thats commercial really does suck
    Quote Originally Posted by KallDrexx View Post
    If you have zero experience with the pre, you have no idea that she's swiping different open applications. It's not obvious if it is not being explained as she does the actions. So really, all Palm is trying to say is "using the pre is like heaven" and yet, that means nothing when everyone else is giving practical uses for their smartphones.
    I don't think I've seen that particular commercial, but it sounds like simple narration would help. She switches to an app... "You need to email Bob about the hike" (switches to email) "but when was it?" (switches to calendar, back to email) "Bob likes maps..." (Google Maps, screenshot, attach to email) "and GPS coordinates..." (switch to ##477#) "so you give them to him. You might catch a movie after..." (switch to Fandango, use this one to show how to dismiss an app)... and so on.

Yeah, that sort of idea. Even better if it's all one-handed. If Palm uses this idea, I demand a bright, shiny quarter as payment!
    advertisements often aren't so much about features and benefits as they are about feelings/connotations.

this girl is mysterious (alien/robotic?) and turning away from the camera...what does she have that's so special? oh, it's that new phone from Palm...maybe I should check it out!!

maybe early adopters/heavy forum users aren't exactly the target audience
    Palm should have gave sprint some money and let sprint and their new advertizing company do the Pre commercials, sprints marketing is excellent now.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    This could be phase 0 or phase 1 of a bigger advertising campaign. Maybe they're just getting the names Palm and Pre out there. Although, I agree that a featureless mannequin of a woman doesn't burn the brand into your brain.

The commercial where the woman talks about the juggler makes sense only when you've already used a Pre. It's like they're trying to draw on a "universal experience" that few people have experienced.

I think doing something with the cards is the way to go. Maybe have people dealing virtual cards into the air a la Minority Report. Throw up a contact. Poke an address and see a Google Maps card appear. Receive a text and see that card appear. Shuffle them around in the air. Then show the same thing being done on the Pre. It would drive home how high tech and powerful, and yet simple, it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I guarantee you that Palm's agency did massive amounts of research to find the person who would best appeal to their target market. And, I think their objective #1 is to reestablish the Palm brand. Objective #2 is to sell the Pre specifically. In fact, I'd go out on a limb and say that objective #2 might actually be to sell WebOS, with the Pre itself coming in third.

Apple's ads must necessarily be different. Their brand is rock solid, and the iPhone is simply iconic. At the same time, the iPhone OS is really just a glorified app launcher, and so it's very easy to show its strengths by demoing some apps that show well in small bites. The Pre's value is much deeper and more complex, and thus requires a different approach.
    I agree. I think writing a commercial that would appeal to people who frequent tech forums would be a total waste of time. There's not a one of you in here that's getting their info on a device from a TV commercial.

This is the type of commercial that would get my wife's attention, and in turn get her to ask me about "That new phone from Palm" when it comes time for a replacement for her phone. She won't remember the name of it, won't know a single application that ran on it, but she will remember that it was a woman that was comfortably using it on the commercial, that it fit nicely in her hand, that it had a terrific screen, that she was working it with one finger, and that it will look really nice in her Coach purse.

Well, that is, of course, if I wasn't actually putting a Pre in her face just about every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I agree. I think writing a commercial that would appeal to people who frequent tech forums would be a total waste of time. There's not a one of you in here that's getting their info on a device from a TV commercial.

This is the type of commercial that would get my wife's attention, and in turn get her to ask me about "That new phone from Palm" when it comes time for a replacement for her phone. She won't remember the name of it, won't know a single application that ran on it, but she will remember that it was a woman that was comfortably using it on the commercial, that it fit nicely in her hand, that it had a terrific screen, that she was working it with one finger, and that it will look really nice in her Coach purse.

Well, that is, of course, if I wasn't actually putting a Pre in her face just about every day.
    But how would your wife know that there was phone in the commercial when the thing is barely present? You pasty woman is the center of focus in the commercial.

I think that what people are saying is that it should be more obvious what the pasty woman in the commercial is doing rather than being totally confused.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Ok, there were two big subliminal messages in the "bing bing bing" ad. The first one is "everything just seems to work."

The other one might be directed at iphone users. It's where she says, "like you're not even trying... just... going with the flow."

So, if you want a device that just seems to work, and you're a slacker who doesn't want to try or a sheep who just goes with the flow... well... you might like the Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    But how would your wife know that there was phone in the commercial when the thing is barely present? You pasty woman is the center of focus in the commercial.

I think that what people are saying is that it should be more obvious what the pasty woman in the commercial is doing rather than being totally confused.
    Well, let me first get this straight - that commercial doesn't appeal to me one bit and, personally, I would want something that shows what the device is doing as others have mentioned here. But, as I said, I don't get my tech info from TV commercials so anything you do on tv trying to sway me is wasted ad revenue.

This commercial isn't about what the device does, it's about a feeling. And having been married for a very long time I can tell you that, outside of her job, my wife's initial reaction to anything is about a feeling, not about a function. It can take weeks of me explaining function to get her past that initial reaction.

She has never once mentioned or reacted to an iPhone commercial, even after my sister had her sold on the idea 6 months ago. It may be just because I own one, but she's noticed every Pre commercial thus far.
    Advertising feelings or however you want to rationalize this garbage may be an option if you have a run of the mill product to sell...

But this isn't one of them. It's not your iphone look alike that people are perhaps starting to get tired of seeing. It's not your BB/Treo clone that might elicit yawns. And its not your average landscape slider phone that teens seem to go nuts over.

The Pre is pretty unique right now. Just demos from CES lit the tech blogs on fire. Most people who saw the latest commercial probably don't even realize it had a KB "hidden" on the bottom because its not shown til the end and went quickly at that.

Multitasking/cards is the main head turner along with the form factor. The borg queen isn't needed.

At the end of the day, someone lusting after getting an iphone because it has a real browser that's fun to use, music, video, and apps will not know any better. Palm needs to show off shuffling the cards, but they must show what's in the cards.

But once again, this is nothing new for Palm. Their ads have sucked for years and continue to. A shame really and a reminder for the future that Palm hasn't learned every lesson.
    Palm needs to overdub the "bing" with another non-Microsoft-related sound effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    That extremely pale white girl freaks me out a bit. She almost looks like a robot with fake skin.
    OMG... so funny: My kid was watching the commercial with me online and she said "Ewe. That lady is scary like the Ice Queen in "The Chronicles of Narnia" movie."

And, she REALLY does look like the Ice Queen. Whatever ad agency Palm is using for these commercials really needs some caffeine and heafty does of modernity. And then they should be fired.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    The ad agency isn't the constant here with all these bad Palm commercials. It's the folks in charge of marketing over at Palm ... The Official Palm Blog: Colleen Bullington: I can’t believe this is my job!

But..maybe there's a light flashing somewhere since Ruby's promotion...

Palm Reorganizes Marketing Execs

Palm has filled a new 8-K statement with the SEC today. The statement details a change in Palm's marketing executives including the "termination" of the senior VP or Product Marketing, Brodie Keast and the announcement of his replacement.

According to the filling, Palm CEO Jon Rubinstein has reorganized the company's marketing organization to bring more focus to both product marketing and corporate branding, creating two new executive marketing roles that will report directly to him. Kathleen C. Mitic has accepted the product marketing role and, on Monday, June 29, 2009, joined Palm as its Senior Vice President, Product Marketing.

In connection with this reorganization, the employment of Brodie C. Keast, the company's current Senior Vice President, Marketing, will terminate on or about July 15, 2009, following an appropriate transition period. Mr. Keast first joined Palm in late 2006 from roles at Seagate and Tivo.

Katie Burke Mitic - LinkedIn and Katie Mitic - Senior VP, Product Marketing : Palm USA

Maybe Ms. Mitic will get Palm going. She's only been there a couple of weeks.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This lady scares the s###t out of me, I feel like she is going to steal my soul. Palm really missed on this one, this is one area they should take notes from apple.
    Palm commercial kinda like this...

Quote Originally Posted by toddrules View Post
    This lady scares the s###t out of me, I feel like she is going to steal my soul. Palm really missed on this one, this is one area they should take notes from apple.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    OMG... so funny: My kid was watching the commercial with me online and she said "Ewe. That lady is scary like the Ice Queen in "The Chronicles of Narnia" movie."
    I thought the same thing. I was afraid she was going to lure me into her ice castle with the promise of turkish delight.
    Attack of the Show is going nuts on it today.. So it IS getting attention..
    I was pulled. I personally would prefer commercials that show the product off; however, I (and I suspect most of you posting about this) already have a Palm Pre!!! I decided, even before I read the post, that I fit in that group mentioned by GMoney749 that doesn't get "their info on a device from a TV commercial." But, I decided that before I posted, I too would put it to an ultimate test.
    My wife (and I too have been married a long time) doesn't have a Pre. She has a Centro and though she probably knows it's inevitiable that she'll eventually get one, she's not exactly chomping at the bit to get a Pre.
    I had her watch the commercial. She said she'd love a device that made her life as easy as "bing bing bing". She also said it goes well with the other commercial (which means she remembered it, one of the cardinal rules of advertising).

Sorry folks, but I say this one goes to Palm.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast