Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All-

I was with my dad on the beach the other day and he was using his pre to listen to audiobooks. it was sitting on his chest in direct sunlight and when i looked over at him I asked him when he scratched it so badly.

Turns out these were not scratches.

The sun melted and/or ruined whatever protective coating is on the phone.

See the images below:

Imageshack - img5524o
    Imageshack - img5526j
    Imageshack - img5530r

(this is my first post so I was not allowed to include the pix in my message, if someone wants to respond to the group with the embedded images, I would appreciate it)
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    damn thats harsh...

Be more careful? lol... i'd tell sprint it got stolen.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ahc11 View Post
    Hi All-

I was with my dad on the beach the other day and he was using his pre to listen to audiobooks. it was sitting on his chest in direct sunlight and when i looked over at him I asked him when he scratched it so badly.

Turns out these were not scratches.

The sun melted and/or ruined whatever protective coating is on the phone.

See the images below:

Imageshack - img5524o
    Imageshack - img5526j
    Imageshack - img5530r

(this is my first post so I was not allowed to include the pix in my message, if someone wants to respond to the group with the embedded images, I would appreciate it)

FrankenPre2!!!
    eeek, the puppy does get hot in direct sunlight.

how long to it back for that to happen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It looks like he has a screen saver on there? Is that what is bubbling / cracking?
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm not surprised, really. Any black object will get hot in direct sunlight.

Edit: Yes, this is my Mr. Obvious quote for the day.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  7.    #7  
    there is no cover or screen saver on his phone. that is the standard coating that is on the phone
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I noticed a tiny bubble the day I purchased mine. Didn't really bother me then, but I notice with this intense Houston heat it's getting worse. While drive, just the sun beaming though my windshield overshadows the AC blowing in my car.
    This is why I'm careful to keep my phone out of sunlight, and you should be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    This is why I'm careful to keep my phone out of sunlight, and you should be too.
    Geez Louise, is this thing really so fragile you can't carry it in your pocket, or use it in sunlight? I could understand something like this if you left it on the dash of a closed up car, but just lying in the sun? Palm FAIL
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    We should start a class-action lawsuit because the Pre doesn't have magical powers to prevent end-users from abusing them!
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Geez Louise, is this thing really so fragile you can't carry it in your pocket, or use it in sunlight? I could understand something like this if you left it on the dash of a closed up car, but just lying in the sun? Palm FAIL
    gets pretty hot on the beach..

to be honest with you, when I go on vacation to a beach we usually put an older phone on either my wifes or my line to take down to the beach.

I wouldnt take a laptop to the beach why would you take a smartphone..and expose it to extreme temps water and sand..
    Thats just the clear plastic film that ships with the device. Just peel it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Thats just the clear plastic film that ships with the device. Just peel it off.
    What? You mean the one that hangs over the edge that peels off exteremely easily? If that's what it is, I'll have a good laugh, but it sounds like he already pulled that off.
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    gets pretty hot on the beach..

to be honest with you, when I go on vacation to a beach we usually put an older phone on either my wifes or my line to take down to the beach.

I wouldnt take a laptop to the beach why would you take a smartphone..and expose it to extreme temps water and sand..
    But in this case that is just unacceptable. The sun damage to that phone came from normal usage....people are acting like he but the thing in the oven. What's the point of even having a smartphone if the conditions in which you can use it are going to be so limited...Palm needs to address this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    But in this case that is just unacceptable. The sun damage to that phone came from normal usage....people are acting like he but the thing in the oven. What's the point of even having a smartphone if the conditions in which you can use it are going to be so limited...Palm needs to address this.
    I wouldnt call leaving a phone in direct sunlight..probably for a couple of hours or longer "normal usage".

and like I said earlier..would you take your laptop to a beach? common sense would say that sand water & sun could be detrimental to your smartphone.

IF I were attempt what his dad attempted I would have kept the phone in beach bag or some other type of cover..not laying on my belly in the sun.

but thats just me...
    I'd recommend one of those waterproof cases/pouches for such trips. Although it could cause greenhouse heat, it would definitely keep dry and free of the salt that can corrode the internals.
    Yeah, I am confused by the pictures. How do we confirm that there is actually a coating on the Pre. And if there is one, it's probably one to help make it scratch resistant.

So all those people typing to put those full body protectors are just wasting their time, it's already there?

Yeah, a class action suite, no seriously; if this is some special coating and it can't take certain weather conditions, then Palm should have put a warning label on the box or something to warn us of the potential damage.

Please ach11 report this directly to Palm:

Support options from Palm

Need setup help?

For free* setup help within the first 90 days of purchase,
    please call the Palm Setup Support Line at 1-866-750-PALM (7256).

*Offer is subject to change without notice

Palm Phone Support - $14.95 - call now
    Speak with a Palm agent about device setup, installation, or ongoing maintenance

Palm Forums - free, always available - go there now
    Learn from fellow Palm customers, or answer others' questions

And even post it on their feedback/feature request page:

Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

And one more thing, post it on Palm's website as well, in the community forum under hardware.

webOS Hardware - Palm Support Community

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

If it isnt the laminate film that shipped with the Pre, then it could be an aftermarket. I dont think the stock one went down the sides. But I dont know because mine went off as soon as I unpacked it.
    Without even needing to point this out... there is this small little start up smartphone called the "iPhone", pretty new not shocking you haven't heard about it also dying a slow painful death in the sun. Melting, deforming, actually "tanning", protective coatings melting off... and most importantly a big message saying "You're iPhone is overheating and you can't friggen use it now, put it in the shade!". Yes the iPhone will scream at you if left in direct sunlight for a few hours only, and that doesn't include using it.

Palm devices - My old Treo 755p used to fall into endless reboot cycles if left in direct sunlight for too long.

Also I agree, if that isn't a screen protector similar to Invisible Shield I would be shocked.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast