Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I would expect anything plastic (especially black) to become deformed and possible severely damaged if left in the sun.

Disclaimers can't cover every possible reckless act against a product.

Remember when "common sense" was more common?
    come on... the phone was laying on his chest or lap... if it was that hot you think he'd leave it on his chest long enough to let it melt? you think the phone got to over 100 degrees and he still kept it on his chest? if it was extremely hot, doubt it was even exposed for even an hour.

i've left plastic items from pens to computers and thin clients and LCDs (IT guy) in my car in the Florida heat for extended periods with no problems... yes items may vary... but a phone should be able to handle what the guy put it through ONE TIME. Hasnt anyone left other phones in there car and stuff and not have to worry... This is a phone, not a faberge egg... which probably would take heat better than the OP phone

And it sounds like most of the phone made it... it didnt get DEFORMED... didnt stop working or melt anything else... you'd think he'd mention the rubbery keyboard getting super soft, sticky, and melting but he didnt... just the coating.

We'll have to see over time but it just could be the coating they use on the front cover used to protect the front happens to get soft in heat or bubbles too easy or melt or whatever. It is summer time so someone will leave it in there car or in a bag on the beach or whereever so will have to see if more people report similar issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post
    I would expect anything plastic (especially black) to become deformed and possible severely damaged if left in the sun.

Disclaimers can't cover every possible reckless act against a product.

Remember when "common sense" was more common?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hmm...rapid extreme temperature change. Not good for metal parts. Didn't you see Terminator 2 or Aliens 3?
    Yes but liquid metal parts can just reassemble themselves again after they warm up a bit.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    On the subject of effects of the sun. Has anyone had any problems with having their pre in high humidity environments? I'm guessing this is what it might be.. I've had no issues with my phone but last Sunday it was very hot and sticky outside in the sun.. and my screen was horrible. Filled with black splotch heat spots all over it. This happened again today as soon as I stepped into my hot car with the phone. ( Car was sitting out in the sun all day). The blotches disappeared pretty quickly after cooling down.. but this is pretty annoying. I should be able to use my phone on a hot sunny day without this... right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I carry my Pre in my pocket any time I'm not using it, have no issues. Go put an iPhone in direct sunlight and see how long it lasts. Apple actually put a temperature warning into the OS now that this has become an issue.
    My Treos have sat in direct sunlight many, many times over the years, with no issues at all. As has my iPod Nano. My GPS and XM radio are in direct sunlight all the time when I ride my motorcycle, and the GPS ditto in the car. None of them have suffered any ill effects. In fact, I've inadvertantly left my Treo in my car, parked in the sun, with all the windows up on several occasions. No problems at all.

When I go to the pool, I see people lying in the sun with their phones on the ground beside them all the time, and I haven't heard people complaining about their screens melting.

Screens cracking, bubbling, melting, light leaks, the "oreo effect." Face it, the Pre is just fragile.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Screens cracking, bubbling, melting, light leaks, the "oreo effect." Face it, the Pre is just fragile.
    Mine has had none of those problems. So, maybe your Pre is "fragile", mine's apparently not so much.

Oh wait... you don't have one, right? Hmmm......
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Hrm, if I believed the forums and all of their reported issues, and believed that they were wide-spread, then I'd assume:

-CMDA Touch has issues with stand-by, GPS, and terrible battery life, and the screen scratches easily, and the casing cracks too.
    -Touch Pro overheats and has terrible QC to where it's almost unusable, and the screen sensitivity is unresponsive towards the edges. Also has TERRIBLE earpiece volume, and is blurry.
    -Omnia has terrible screen sensitivity distribution over the surface of the screen, lags randomly, and has terrible battery life.
    -iPhone crashes, screen cracks, camera sucks, coverage sucks, 3G speeds suck...

you can't take a few complaints on a forum to be even a remotely-accurate representation of a product. I have used many of those devices, including both the iPhone and iPhone 3G, and obviously the Pre, and for the most part, I didn't have the 'widespread' 'OMG FAIL' problems that people love posting about and blogging as fast as they can about.
    I also ran into the same problem .. thought it was a cuz i had suntan lotion on my hand... anyways in the sun for about 15 min... and started to spider web across the screen. Use it as my my mp3 player ..so if some of the readers want to scold me for mis-use then whats the point of havin all the multi tasks on it. plus the after market cases so far suck. I tried rocketfish case and couldnt even open the phone. Thank god i know someone at pre. I love my pre and will not drink the iphone coolaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeynsoda View Post
    I also ran into the same problem .. thought it was a cuz i had suntan lotion on my hand... anyways in the sun for about 15 min... and started to spider web across the screen. Use it as my my mp3 player ..so if some of the readers want to scold me for mis-use then whats the point of havin all the multi tasks on it. plus the after market cases so far suck. I tried rocketfish case and couldnt even open the phone. Thank god i know someone at pre. I love my pre and will not drink the iphone coolaid.
    Electronic devices + (sun || heat) != success
    Global Posts
    272 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeynsoda View Post
    Thank god i know someone at pre.
    You know someone at a phone?

Sweet!
    Don't you? I know plenty of people at iPhone...
    here is pix
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345