Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    This just in:

Consumer electronics devices such as the Pre should not be kept in direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time.

This, and other pieces of common sense, are brought to you by Xyg.
    My 755p has survived sitting for hours in a bag outside on a lounge chair next to a pool in 100+ hour heat on 2-3 days consecutive days. No damage that I could discern...and I have no memory of bizarre behavior from it.

My Pre, on the other hand, was in its sleeping bag/pouch, in a backpack, in the same conditions, and it saw the same *sort* of damage as that shown by the OP, but limited to the portion that was not covered by the pouch...and I thought it should still have been covered by the backpack it was in.

I don't doubt the OP. I didn't know if the damage might have been just random unexplained-ness,just plain heat, or somehow the sun getting to that part of the screen (just the top edge of the screen's slider portion).

Oh, it *was* in its pouch in direct sunlight without being in the backpack for about 25 minutes. So maybe that did it.

Anyway, thanks to the OP and his/her pics, I can now recognize that I need to treat this phone with rather more care than my 755p.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poopsie View Post
    Its not unacceptable. The manual specifically states "Do not expose your phone to extreme temperatures -14f to 140f". Now, was it that temp that day? No, that would be a record. But, the phone itself could have easily gotten that hot from the sun baking it and playing the Audio Books. Which, sorry to say, in this case is their fault. Palm or Sprint won't and should not have to replace it. Just pay the $100 and learn from the mistake.
    Those temps listed in the manual are ambient temps, and there's no way that it was even near 140 outside. If the phone heats itself up, well, that's its problem, now isn't it?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Since the latter part of this is obviously made up, can we assume the first is as well?
    Hmm, you must not watch it's stock prices then. I've lost money on them in the last few weeks, and there's only one way to lose money in the stock market: when they go down.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    And to all of you claiming that electronics can't withstand such temps, what about the GPS units that everybody hangs from their windshields? Those have to see temps in the mid 100s frequently in a sunny location. I don't seem to hear much about them being so fragile. I'm just sayin...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Leave the guy alone. Palm is actually investing screen defects right now. Call customare care and report a crack or bubbles and you'll see what I mean.
    Most of their calls come from screen/pressure/heat issues that cause cracks, bubbles, distortion, bleed through. The rep told me not to leave my phone in direct sunlight for more than 5 minutes because there is something in the screen that can be damaged, which causes the light bleeding problem. Well, I had already left it in the sun for about 10 minutes when I was eating a meal outside, and I did indeed have the bleeding problem.

Plus on a separate occasion, I had bubbles pop up under my screen just from going for a jog in 100 degree temps with pandora running. Twenty minutes of exposure to 100+ degrees plus humidity from my sweat was enough to cause 2 bubbles.

My old phone was a RAZR and I could leave it in the sun all day if I wanted to and I live in AZ, but I am sure most other smart phones are probably just as sensitive... or maybe not. I don't know.

I do know this. Treat this thing like a small albino woman, who is sensitive to the heat(and we know how women are when it comes to extreme weather) and everything will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Those temps listed in the manual are ambient temps, and there's no way that it was even near 140 outside. If the phone heats itself up, well, that's its problem, now isn't it?
    Direct sunlight is hotter than the ambient temperature that is normally rated by the weatherman.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    Twenty minutes of exposure to 100+ degrees plus humidity from my sweat was enough to cause 2 bubbles.
    The high humidity doesn't affect the Pre, it has no sweat glands (there's likely an App for that, but if so, it will surely be on a later revision).

However, the black case does have an effect. When you hear that it's 103 degrees outside, that's a measurement in the shade, and is ambient temperature, not direct sun rays temperature. Take a thermometer, and put it out of the shade, watch it go up. Paint it black, watch it go up more. Dark colors absorb the sun's rays, light colors reflect them. Absorbed energy makes for a hotter device.
  9.    #69  
    Thanks to all of you who found fault in what I was pointing out to the community as what to avoid with their Pre... your cynicism is extremely helpful... i do agree, after the fact, he should probably have put it in his pocket, but he didn't.

To those who say you can't understand how someone can take a smartphone to a beach, would you take an iPod, other mp3 player, or even a kindle? Don't people like to read and listen to music or books on a beach or poolside? why not do this with a smartphone??? As proponents of having one device save you from carrying 3 (or more), why should the fact that it is a phone make it any less rugged? Its not like he put it in the sand or dipped it in the ocean. He placed it on his lap for a little while and regardless of the stupidity that you claim was exhibited on his part, you should be able to have your phone out on a 83 degree day without worrying about whether or not you will be damaging it while on the beach, out walking/jogging/running, or wherever you want to be using it.

Oh and last time i checked, 83 degrees is well within the recommended operating range, if not, I recommend that anyone who lives in Arizona should make sure not to ever leave their homes this time of year with a delicate smartphone on their person.

As mentioned in the original post: there is no after market cover/protector on the phone, no shield, etc. it is the standard Pre casing. definitely not something that should bubble and certainly not something that I am going to recommend to him to peel off.
    I have no doubt that the stock film/plastic can bubble with extreme heat, as mine started to peel up from the sides, where the slighter mates up.

People are just giving you a hard time, (or your father, rather,) because most would consider it common-sense to not leave an electronic device in the sunlight. Hell, I even have to cover my Pre when it's sitting on my passenger seat, with the A/C blasting, because the direct sunlight through my max-legal tinted windows is still enough to make the phone too hot to hold.

If it can burn your skin, it can destroy a phone. I'd say that's a safe measurement. Maybe if it was an overcast day, sitting at ~70F, I'd consider leaving it exposed for extended timeframes, but even then the UV light is still sending heat right to the device, just like your skin.

Best bet is to keep it in your pocket, obviously, but keep in mind that this is not just related to the Pre---almost any device will fail to operated, or take damage from direct sunlight.

Sorry for your loss, as I don't think Sprint will fix it for free.
    Hmm, you must not watch it's stock prices then. I've lost money on them in the last few weeks, and there's only one way to lose money in the stock market: when they go down.
    ever heard of shorting a stock?
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Try sitting out in the sun with no protection and see what happens.... you cannot expect plastic device to not succumb to the elements. Regardless of what you think this is NOT normal wear or normal usage. Laying on your back with a phone on your chest or belly at the beach where direct sunlight is quite obviously stronger is abuse. If anyone should pay is your dad for abusing that poor innocent neglected red headed step child pre of his.
    What do you MEAN "not watch it's stock prices". I linked to them. I suspect it's your observation skills that are lacking.
    If the heat caused this to happen then just reverse the process by putting the phone in the freezer for a while!
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I rubbed the screen with 200 grit sandpaper and the screen is all scratched up. I can't believe it.
    The Palm Protectionist are out. Anything negative spoken and they are ready to lash out.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Geez Louise, is this thing really so fragile you can't carry it in your pocket, or use it in sunlight? I could understand something like this if you left it on the dash of a closed up car, but just lying in the sun? Palm FAIL
    I carry my Pre in my pocket any time I'm not using it, have no issues. Go put an iPhone in direct sunlight and see how long it lasts. Apple actually put a temperature warning into the OS now that this has become an issue.
    Palm fanboi dog pile!

this forum is a joke.
    damn man. thats crazy
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    While we're on the subject of the Pre in the sun -- does anyone else notice that the screen on their Pre displays a weird alternating halo effect when viewed in sunshine shining through their car windshield? For example, when using the phone inside the car with the sun shining brightly through the windshield and onto the device..
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast