Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    damn thats crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    Guys, that's not even a Pre. That's an iPhone with a Pre decal over it. That is what is peeling.
    Ha! I actually laughed out loud on that one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    That looks like a screen protector, but he says there isn't one on the phone. I also can't see any lines around the center button or earpiece, so I believe him. I agree that if a phone can't stand a couple of hours of sitting in the sun without something inside delaminating, it's got problems. Smartphone or not, if the device is too fragile for normal use, then it's not worth it. Yet another manufacturing issue... and Palm's stock keeps dropping.
    How is sitting in the sun abuse? Are you kidding me? If your car's paint started peeling after even 5 years in the sun, you would want the manufacturer to repaint it for you. Sunlight is a normal thing. That's like saying that anybody who lives in the US below 35 degrees latitude can't own the phone.

The fact that it's an expensive, $500 device is all the more reason that it should be able to withstand normal use. Why should a phone that expensive be more fragile than one that only costs $50?
    To you two... wow. You cannot compare this to a car. BTW, my car's paint IS coming off the fiberglass hood. There was a problem at the factory, where my hood was painted, and they screwed up. No, I'm not going after the manufacturer, because it's been years, and the Texas sun is harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    A car is designed for outdoor use...

leave your laptop on the beach for a few hours and let me know how you make out.

the fact that it is an expensive $500 electronic device is all the more reason to use proper care...
    Whooo WHOOOO! The common sense train is now departing!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    Umm.... With all due respect, I don't really know what to say to this, except, you cannot defy the laws of physics and my car did not come with a warning about the operating temperature of the paint, so I don't believe it's a fair or relevant analogy. All electronics, or for that matter, anything that has a chemical reaction (screen, battery, etc.) will operate differently in different temperatures. No manufacturer can create a device that operates, survives or is usable in ALL conditions, it's just not cost effective - hence the huge $'s associated with aerospace engineering, ruggedizing devices, etc. And yes, sunlight may be normal, but even our skin has a limit on exposure, so how can you believe a phone, left in direct sunlight for extended periods, won't "burn???"
    Maybe he should have put sunscreen on the Pre, hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforsalvador View Post
    No phones should be taken to the beach, it's not a "palm" problem, it's an "electronic device at the beach" problem.

At least that's what it seems like to me.

The sun is more damaging than people realize
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by popologuy View Post
    You're kidding right? You're comparing a car's multiple layered paint job to an electronic device? Sunlight IS a normal thing, as is water, sand and salt: none of these natural elements are good for your electornic devices. Prolonged exposure is definitley not good for them.

One day, when we are all living on Mars, we will have force fields around our electronic devices, but til then, protecting them from the "normal" elements is an obvious choice.

People who live below the 35th parallel are allowed to have smartphones, but no way are we selling any to those bums between longitude 80 degrees West and 72 degrees West.
    but, but, uh, we need something to whine about!!!!
    How is sitting in the sun abuse? Are you kidding me? If your car's paint started peeling after even 5 years in the sun, you would want the manufacturer to repaint it for you. Sunlight is a normal thing. That's like saying that anybody who lives in the US below 35 degrees latitude can't own the phone.

The fact that it's an expensive, $500 device is all the more reason that it should be able to withstand normal use. Why should a phone that expensive be more fragile than one that only costs $50?
    bogus... sorry... can't help it
    Switched from the iPhone to Treo Pro
    Originally Posted by leftyman

leave your laptop on the beach for a few hours and let me know how you make out.

the fact that it is an expensive $500 electronic device is all the more reason to use proper care...

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post

Whooo WHOOOO! The common sense train is now departing!
    care to explain your comment?
  6. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts

interesting analogy - so i take it you've been able to leave all your electronic devices in direct exposure to the sun with no ill effects?! amazing..id love to know what planet you live on.

but in all seriousness it'd be silly to expect such a device to be fine when left in the sun for hours
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    Originally Posted by leftyman

care to explain your comment?
    Ha, I just re-read what I put and it doesn't make sense--rest assured that you are making perfect/common sense... which is seems the OP/etc are not using.
    Ha, I just re-read what I put and it doesn't make sense--rest assured that you are making perfect/common sense... which is seems the OP/etc are not using.
    yes, I though we were on the same page.
    I had my Pre with me for a week in Kauai and everyday on the beach. I kept the phone in our beach bag and only took it out to surf the web and read without issue. I also tan outside (Utah temps near 100 F) quite a bit with the Pre and have never had problems leaving the phone under the edge of my towel.
    Who am I, sir? A Utah man am I A Utah man, sir, and will be till I die!
    Quote Originally Posted by elder_shawn View Post
    I had my Pre with me for a week in Kauai and everyday on the beach. I kept the phone in our beach bag and only took it out to surf the web and read without issue. I also tan outside (Utah temps near 100 F) quite a bit with the Pre and have never had problems leaving the phone under the edge of my towel.
    CLEARLY you are just a Palm apologist...

sue palm!!! MONEhh
    CLEARLY you are just a Palm apologist...

sue palm!!! MONEhh
    lol..
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    If I left my phone out in direct sunlight for hours and it was damaged, at the beach none the less, I would be embarassed to admit it on a forum. OP, I am embarassed for you.

Are you going to take back your ice cream cone because it melted too fast in the summer heat? Are you going to sue your car manufacturer because the metal part of your seatbelt burned you when you touched it after it sat in the sun all day? (this happens to me all the time in Florida)
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I work as an engineer in the thermal area, specializing in electronics packaging. The thermal levels the OP exposed his Pre to are in excess of what commercial electronic packages are capable of withstanding (for some of you, I hope you understand that a chemical paint covering is not the same as an electronic heat emitting device - they are different).

The only objects designed for that level of heating are military electronics, or certain civilian ruggedized units. Not a standard cell phone. It won't survive during long exposures.

I was backpacking the last few days, in 85-90 temperatures, and my Pre went with me. No problems, but I definitely protected it from long exposures to direct sun (and the one drenching thunderstorm).

You're buying a piece of equipment with operating limitations - learn what they are, or go beyond them at your own risk. Don't blame something on design when you ask it to do more than it was intended to do.
    This "issue" is just like the negligent woman who sued McDonalds for spilling hot cofee on herself. Its pretty sad when consumers feel they deserve perfection when they themselves arent capable of that same level of perfection.
    On behalf of all consumers, I'm suing you for defamation! Whoops! I just dropped my Pre into my vente latte which then spilled onto my tender inner thighs!! Woohoo, TWO more law suits!!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Palm devices - My old Treo 755p used to fall into endless reboot cycles if left in direct sunlight for too long.

Also I agree, if that isn't a screen protector similar to Invisible Shield I would be shocked.
    Same here on my 755p. My wife's Centro (as well as mine, when I had one) will stop displaying the screen when it's left in the sunlight too long. The first time it happened to mine, I though (at first) that the battery had died. I was looking at it wondering how it died so quick, when it rang. It rang, but no screen. Then I noticed that the screen was changing, but it was like it was no longer lit. Could just barely notice the changes from the Sun reflecting on it. I was able to push the button and answer the phone though.

As I said, my wife's does this if she leaves it in direct sunlight (summer time in TX) for more than 10 or 15 minutes.
    Yet another manufacturing issue... and Palm's stock keeps dropping.
    Since the latter part of this is obviously made up, can we assume the first is as well?
    I straight baked mine on my front seat in direct sunlight for 3 hours... when i finally realized the mistake it was hot enough that I could barely hold on to it, phone had shut off... needed to make a call so brought it inside and threw it in the freezer for 15 mins turned back on works just fine... also bring mine to the beach and stream pandora all the time ( literally 25 out of the the 30 days I have owned it) I just put it under my shirt so its not direct but it still gets hot.... pretty certain thats not "sun damage"
    treo 650 > treo 700w > treo 800 > palm pre > evo 4g > 3vo

galaxy tab 7
    htc evo view
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Since the latter part of this is obviously made up, can we assume the first is as well?
    Absolutely agree! We all know he ain't sticking his 3Gs out in the sun for two hours: if he fried it, how would he live without those 100s of fart apps?!
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hmm...rapid extreme temperature change. Not good for metal parts. Didn't you see Terminator 2 or Aliens 3?
    Nor is it good for many plastics. Slow thermal changes produce less mechanical stress.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast