Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It does look like some sort of applied skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by JR_Rider View Post
    But in this case that is just unacceptable. The sun damage to that phone came from normal usage....people are acting like he but the thing in the oven. What's the point of even having a smartphone if the conditions in which you can use it are going to be so limited...Palm needs to address this.
    Its not unacceptable. The manual specifically states "Do not expose your phone to extreme temperatures -14f to 140f". Now, was it that temp that day? No, that would be a record. But, the phone itself could have easily gotten that hot from the sun baking it and playing the Audio Books. Which, sorry to say, in this case is their fault. Palm or Sprint won't and should not have to replace it. Just pay the $100 and learn from the mistake.
    But in this case that is just unacceptable. The sun damage to that phone came from normal usage....people are acting like he but the thing in the oven. What's the point of even having a smartphone if the conditions in which you can use it are going to be so limited...Palm needs to address this.
    I don't know if I would call putting a phone in direct sunlight normal usage. I don't even know what would happen to some of my other phones if I put them in direct sunlight. I never have and probably never will put an electronic device (a black electronic device at that) in direct sunlight. Plus, if it is hot outside and somewhere in the 90s or 100s then the phone could easily get out of the recommended operating range. To me, I wouldn't risk it.

Thank you though for the OP making others aware of this situation. This is good information for others in case they figured it would be okay. However, I will continue to put mine wrapped in a shirt or under a towel. I always find that this seems to work well for me.
    I'm sorry this is just too important to say in an edited post.
    That has to be a screen protector... if you look at the left side of the screen in this picture http://img11.imageshack.us/i/img5524o.jpg , you will see the line where the little rap around of say an IS goes.

IS does NOT like heat, especially direct sunlight. Ever heard of the orange peel effect?
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    We should start a class-action lawsuit because the Pre doesn't have magical powers to prevent end-users from abusing them!
    Don't laugh its been done here before. I just recieved a notice for a class action suite for the 700p. I opted out.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Palm needs to address this.
    No, they don't. This is an isolated incident of abuse. I don't know what beach the OP was at, but around here, it's easily 100F+, and that would easily put the Palm Pre internals at 150F+, especially since it's black.

I've ruined plenty of devices over the years because of direct sunlight. If you leave a PDA, laptop, pretty much any phone, or really any electronic device in the sunlight, it can get hot enough to destroy the screen, melt solder, and all sorts of bad juju.

It seems pretty normal to me. The bubbling of the surface is strange, but if the device did not fail, I'd say he got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    I'm sorry this is just too important to say in an edited post.
    That has to be a screen protector... if you look at the left side of the screen in this picture http://img11.imageshack.us/i/img5524o.jpg , you will see the line where the little rap around of say an IS goes.

IS does NOT like heat, especially direct sunlight. Ever heard of the orange peel effect?
    Actually, there IS some kind of plastic coating on the surface of the Pre. I exchanged my launch-day Pre last week, because along all the edges of the slider, some sort of plastic was peeling up, and if I really wanted to, I could have pulled off the entire surface of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by leftyman View Post
    I wouldnt call leaving a phone in direct sunlight..probably for a couple of hours or longer "normal usage".

and like I said earlier..would you take your laptop to a beach? common sense would say that sand water & sun could be detrimental to your smartphone.

IF I were attempt what his dad attempted I would have kept the phone in beach bag or some other type of cover..not laying on my belly in the sun.

but thats just me...
    +1
    I have a feeling someone knows that there is a skin on it and someone is TRYING to make it either on the front page or to Engadget...
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Geez Louise, is this thing really so fragile you can't carry it in your pocket, or use it in sunlight? I could understand something like this if you left it on the dash of a closed up car, but just lying in the sun? Palm FAIL
    i never leave anything on my dash in a car ANYTHING!!

jeese

mt
    I thought this was common sense to keep electronics out of direct sunlight?

My Zune, current phone will never be sitting in a hot car or out in direct sunglight for too long.
    Honestly guys, I think this is very plausible, as I've seen the covering peel off without any sort of high-heat... but, this is clearly abuse, and I hope it require an insurance claim, as extended-exposure to direct sunlight is not cool.

heh.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Don't laugh its been done here before. I just recieved a notice for a class action suite for the 700p. I opted out.
    Off topic but curious, why did this happen? I understand "class-action lawsuit" actually means "I'm an ***** who wants to use expensive lawyers to sue you because of it". I am still curious. :P
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    Off topic but curious, why did this happen? I understand "class-action lawsuit" actually means "I'm an ***** who wants to use expensive lawyers to sue you because of it". I am still curious. :P
    The many issues that were had with the 700p. but I didnt get a chance to be in that lawsuit...I was offered the chance to participate in the one for the Sprint Treo 600. They said it was misleading because they said it would have wifi and they never delivered.

And what do we get for our frustrations....$20 sprint credit or $25 for non-sprint customers. Oh...but we helped pay the car note on a lawyer's 3rd car and helped cleaned their $1k suits! Funny...I work in the administration field for class action lawsuits and chapter 11 bankruptcy. Overhead is crazy...and then split the rest by all of those claimmants!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    That looks like a screen protector, but he says there isn't one on the phone. I also can't see any lines around the center button or earpiece, so I believe him. I agree that if a phone can't stand a couple of hours of sitting in the sun without something inside delaminating, it's got problems. Smartphone or not, if the device is too fragile for normal use, then it's not worth it. Yet another manufacturing issue... and Palm's stock keeps dropping.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Honestly guys, I think this is very plausible, as I've seen the covering peel off without any sort of high-heat... but, this is clearly abuse, and I hope it require an insurance claim, as extended-exposure to direct sunlight is not cool.

heh.
    How is sitting in the sun abuse? Are you kidding me? If your car's paint started peeling after even 5 years in the sun, you would want the manufacturer to repaint it for you. Sunlight is a normal thing. That's like saying that anybody who lives in the US below 35 degrees latitude can't own the phone.

The fact that it's an expensive, $500 device is all the more reason that it should be able to withstand normal use. Why should a phone that expensive be more fragile than one that only costs $50?
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    How is sitting in the sun abuse? Are you kidding me? If your car's paint started peeling after even 5 years in the sun, you would want the manufacturer to repaint it for you. Sunlight is a normal thing. That's like saying that anybody who lives in the US below 35 degrees latitude can't own the phone.

The fact that it's an expensive, $500 device is all the more reason that it should be able to withstand normal use. Why should a phone that expensive be more fragile than one that only costs $50?
    A car is designed for outdoor use...

leave your laptop on the beach for a few hours and let me know how you make out.

the fact that it is an expensive $500 electronic device is all the more reason to use proper care...

Umm.... With all due respect, I don't really know what to say to this, except, you cannot defy the laws of physics and my car did not come with a warning about the operating temperature of the paint, so I don't believe it's a fair or relevant analogy. All electronics, or for that matter, anything that has a chemical reaction (screen, battery, etc.) will operate differently in different temperatures. No manufacturer can create a device that operates, survives or is usable in ALL conditions, it's just not cost effective - hence the huge $'s associated with aerospace engineering, ruggedizing devices, etc. And yes, sunlight may be normal, but even our skin has a limit on exposure, so how can you believe a phone, left in direct sunlight for extended periods, won't "burn???"
    Lee Ladisky
    Maybe he shouldve put a coat or two of carnuba wax on his Pre before going to the beach!

I love the car reference! Why cant our Pre's be coated so that its water resillient and wont rust for years!! (sarcasm...of course)!
    No phones should be taken to the beach, it's not a "palm" problem, it's an "electronic device at the beach" problem.

At least that's what it seems like to me.

The sun is more damaging than people realize
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    If it isnt the laminate film that shipped with the Pre, then it could be an aftermarket.
    Guys, that's not even a Pre. That's an iPhone with a Pre decal over it. That is what is peeling.

You're kidding right? You're comparing a car's multiple layered paint job to an electronic device? Sunlight IS a normal thing, as is water, sand and salt: none of these natural elements are good for your electornic devices. Prolonged exposure is definitley not good for them.

One day, when we are all living on Mars, we will have force fields around our electronic devices, but til then, protecting them from the "normal" elements is an obvious choice.

People who live below the 35th parallel are allowed to have smartphones, but no way are we selling any to those bums between longitude 80 degrees West and 72 degrees West.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast