Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way to find out how much memory is available in the Pre after loading APPS - my Pre is suddenly saying that I have no memory available and need to delete some Apps to add new ones or update old ones. I don't have very many Apps loaded. In addition to the ones that came on the PRE I have 11 APPS added.

    I plugged it in as a USB device and it says that there is 6.47GB of free space... if so why do I get a Memory full message when I try to add a new App?

    Also does anyone know how to delete some of the Apps that came preloaded - for example I have no interest in the NASCAR app but can't seem to delete it... also not knowing how much space any app is using makes it impossible to manage the memory usage.
    Last edited by pastoral; 07/12/2009 at 11:58 PM.
  2. #2  
    launch the "device info" app. the info you're looking for is in there. unfortunately, preloaded apps, including apps that you don't want such as NASCAR, cannot be deleted.
  3.    #3  
    Device Info says 7GB available - it appears that is the default because it does not change no matter if I add apps or not.
  4. #4  
    That's pretty strange, and not typical behavior. I have every app available installed, and haven't run into this issue. I also can't imagine that we ever should, unless we completely load up the device with music, video, docs, etc. Do a search, I think someone else ran into the issue but I can't remember the resolution.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastoral View Post
    Device Info says 7GB available - it appears that is the default because it does not change no matter if I add apps or not.
    I installed a few this morning and dropped from 7.1 for 7.0 available... so thats not correct.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    That's pretty strange, and not typical behavior. I have every app available installed, and haven't run into this issue. I also can't imagine that we ever should, unless we completely load up the device with music, video, docs, etc. Do a search, I think someone else ran into the issue but I can't remember the resolution.
    It looks like the big storage is on /media/internal, and apps are going somewhere else. It is actually a separate "disk" or partition. Not sure how much is available for the OS and apps but there should be a way to find out via command line interface.

    I'm not enough of an expert to really do more than speculate, but I think it would be possible to dynamically link the apps folder to a folder in the large storage area so that you're not limited. But this is probably in the category of major surgery on your Pre.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It looks like the big storage is on /media/internal, and apps are going somewhere else. It is actually a separate "disk" or partition. Not sure how much is available for the OS and apps but there should be a way to find out via command line interface.

    I'm not enough of an expert to really do more than speculate, but I think it would be possible to dynamically link the apps folder to a folder in the large storage area so that you're not limited. But this is probably in the category of major surgery on your Pre.
    I realize you're just speculating here, but could it really be true that the number of apps I install could be limited by a partition? Can anyone else confirm or refute this? TIA.
  8. #8  
    Executing df on the command line yields this:
    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 452296 378184 74112 84% /
    /dev/root 31728 11368 20360 36% /boot
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    452296 378184 74112 84% /
    /dev/mapper/store-root
    452296 378184 74112 84% /dev/.static/dev
    tmpfs 2048 140 1908 7% /dev
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 98184 155736 39% /var
    /dev/mapper/store-log
    39664 6756 32908 17% /var/log
    tmpfs 65536 468 65068 1% /tmp
    tmpfs 122516 0 122516 0% /media/ram
    /dev/mapper/store-media
    7011456 5398080 1613376 77% /media/internal
    /dev/mapper/store-var
    253920 98184 155736 39% /opt
    I'm not qualified to fully interpret this, but I believe the storage is divided into store-root, store-var, store-media, and store-log. Probably some apps are installed in store-root, but additional apps from the app catalog are probably stored on store-var. Store-var has 253920 kB (about 250 MB), store-root has 452296 kB (about 440 MB), and store-media has 7011456 kB (about 6847 MB).

    So if apps are stored on store-var, it looks like we're limited to 250MB of apps. Mine is already 39% full. Palm could fix this in the future by making some changes, but that's the way it looks at the moment. I could imagine some people filling this up.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. Delta-9's Avatar
    Posts
    135 Posts
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    So if apps are stored on store-var, it looks like we're limited to 250MB of apps. Mine is already 39% full. Palm could fix this in the future by making some changes, but that's the way it looks at the moment. I could imagine some people filling this up.

    Your Pre is obviously rooted. Non-rooted WebOS does not utilize /opt

    You added /opt to your Pre in the instructions when you "rooted"

    Step 2a of the tutorial says:

    mkdir /var/opt
    mkdir /opt
    mount -o bind /var/opt /opt
    echo '/var/opt /opt bind defaults,bind 0 0' >>/etc/fstab

    Apps installed via normal means are not being installed to /opt
  10. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #10  
    Rooted or not, I don't believe apps are installed to different partitions. Even when you root the Pre, you're creating another directory, with it's own mount point, but it's far from another partition. Space is still shared. Note how in his df output, /var and /opt have the same usage.

    to the OP, sounds like something is wrong. You might try rebooting a few times and if that doesn't help, a partial or full erase and restore should get you working.
  11. JFGABEL's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #11  
    I received an out of memory message a few weeks ago while trying to take a picture. I knew there was no way this could be the case. I did a soft reset and it worked fine after that. Just a memory leak in my case it would appear.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta-9 View Post
    Your Pre is obviously rooted. Non-rooted WebOS does not utilize /opt

    You added /opt to your Pre in the instructions when you "rooted"

    Step 2a of the tutorial says:

    mkdir /var/opt
    mkdir /opt
    mount -o bind /var/opt /opt
    echo '/var/opt /opt bind defaults,bind 0 0' >>/etc/fstab

    Apps installed via normal means are not being installed to /opt
    Yeah, of course it's rooted. I suppose my avatar isn't enough of a clue, or the fact that I was able to talk to my Pre via the command line interface. But I digress.

    /opt is just a virtual link to /var/opt--it hasn't changed the partitioning, only added some apps to store-var.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13. ser0's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    #13  
    The pre internal memory is really a disgrace for a phone released in 2009

Posting Permissions