Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. srfcrzy's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just set up my Google Voice account and am trying to think of creative ways/reasons to use it with my Pre.

    I am really looking forward to being able to port the cell number I have had for a decade to Google Voice so that I can "own" it once and for all separate from cell carriers, but there must be ways of using it until that feature is added that I am not thinking of (other than the ones Google is advertising).

    As of now, just for fun, I have already tried making calls using Google Voice on my Pre. I can confirm that it works. The number that showed on the phones I called was my Google Voice number, not my Pre's number.

    Anyone have any ideas?
  2. #2  
    Long distance calls for $.01 or a minute to Canada Europe and many other countries is about as good as it gets.

    We badly need a Google Voice app and need to make this request of Google.

    Better than this, we need Shimon Snitzer to replicate his call cards application for the Treo and many other smartphones which allows one to dial a script (in this case the Google voice dialing protocol) so that whenever I dial a certain area code or country code it is automatically routed through Google Voice or a calling card to avoid the cell phone carrier rates.

    This save a TON of time entering these dialing scripts into each contact and has worked for me flawlessly for years.

    Anyone interested in this one should ping ShSh Software to let him know that this one is useful. For ANYONE who makes long distance calls with Google Voice or a calling card this is the very best investment you will ever make. It is the single reason I hung on to my Treo for such a long time.

    Sorry to have moved the topic a little...
  3. jerich007's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #3  
    Yes, please someone get us a proper Google Voice app. It's a natural fit for the Pre.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri View Post
    We badly need a Google Voice app and need to make this request of Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerich007 View Post
    Yes, please someone get us a proper Google Voice app. It's a natural fit for the Pre.
    definitely a big +1 on that. The google voice mobile site is very hard to use since the text is so small (sure it can be resized but don't want to have to do that every time I go there).
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by srfcrzy View Post
    I just set up my Google Voice account and am trying to think of creative ways/reasons to use it with my Pre.

    I am really looking forward to being able to port the cell number I have had for a decade to Google Voice so that I can "own" it once and for all separate from cell carriers, but there must be ways of using it until that feature is added that I am not thinking of (other than the ones Google is advertising).

    As of now, just for fun, I have already tried making calls using Google Voice on my Pre. I can confirm that it works. The number that showed on the phones I called was my Google Voice number, not my Pre's number.

    Anyone have any ideas?
    I have google voice also. How do you make calls from GV on Pre?
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I have google voice also. How do you make calls from GV on Pre?
    From your google voice voicemail, chose option 2 to make a call. (Get to your GV voicemail by dialing your GV number from the Pre) or when someone sends a SMS message to your google voice number, it is from a 406 area code number. Just dial that number from your Pre and it will call that other person and it will show your GV number on their caller ID
  7. #7  
    I didnt realize till after posting question but GV does have a mobile site. I looked yesterday and for some strange reason did not find it. Ok, so you do it through the mobile site right?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    I didnt realize till after posting question but GV does have a mobile site. I looked yesterday and for some strange reason did not find it. Ok, so you do it through the mobile site right?
    You can through the mobile site or see my post above for other ways.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    From your google voice voicemail, chose option 2 to make a call. (Get to your GV voicemail by dialing your GV number from the Pre) or when someone sends a SMS message to your google voice number, it is from a 406 area code number. Just dial that number from your Pre and it will call that other person and it will show your GV number on their caller ID
    If you SMS a response back to someone who sent you a SMS will it show your GV Number too?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    If you SMS a response back to someone who sent you a SMS will it show your GV Number too?
    Yes, as long as you SMS back to the 406 number that you received the SMS from. Google actually links specific contacts to certain 406 numbers if you can get an SMS from that particular contact. Have a read here for some more info on it:

    The Power of 406 - Google Voice Help
  11. srfcrzy's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    If you SMS a response back to someone who sent you a SMS will it show your GV Number too?
    I think so.

    I tried both calling and SMSing via Google Mobile website (accessed on my Pre) and both worked. I heard for sure from both people I called that my GV # showed in their caller ids, but I did not get explicit confirmation with SMS.

    A Google Voice app for the Pre would totally rock. It is absolutely a natural fit.

    I am tempted to start giving out my Google Voice # as my "new number," but would prefer to be able to port the cell # I have had forever to Google Voice so that I can set it up to ring multiple phones.

    You can vote for preferred features somewhere on the Google Voice site. I can't find it right bow, but I voted earlier today for porting. Check it out and see if you can find it: Google Voice
  12. #12  
    Man... I can't wait to get in on google voice. I just signed up last week though... Its gonna bbe awhile
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  13. #13  
    Try sending a tweet requesting an account to vpaquet or googlevoice. You can jump to the front of the line that way.
  14. #14  
    I just got my invite over the weekend and I am setting it up to serve as my professional repository for my job hunt. Being able to see voicemails transcribed will be helpful. And its safer to put the Google Voice number on a resume than my actual phone number.

    I access and dial out using the mobile website. An official App would be GREAT!! One that can pull the voicemails so you can listen to them without using minutes, see your call log, and even send texts via your Google Voice number...That would be awesom!
  15. #15  
    I got an invite, but I haven't set it up yet. Not sure if I want to port my number or just get another number.
  16. srfcrzy's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xberserker View Post
    I got an invite, but I haven't set it up yet. Not sure if I want to port my number or just get another number.
    I wish I could port now. I would do it in a heartbeat. Since I can't, I'm trying to decide if I want to just switch everyone over to a new (Google Voice) number...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions