Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1.    #1  
    Ok I've had the phone since launch. Question: Does Roaming seem to stick people out there?

    One day this week I had to do some subway transit action, usually I walk where I'm going around NYC unless late or really far. But I do underground and it flips to roaming. Then when I come back up I says "R". Ok I wait a few seconds....R....I wait a minute.....R.....I walk 2 long blocks......R. Google map won't launch bc not in a data area.. Come on I need the Google map to find there I'm going. I though you were a "smart" phone.

    Well I don't want to reboot the phone b/c that takes almost 2 min and I'm late and waiting for a call. And why the heck should I have to reboot it anyway. So I place a call ...dialing.....and then the R flips off. Back to map ok now back to work. Well this happened one more time that night and I had to place a quick call then hang up to get the roam off.

    I really want to love this phone but there are a few little kinks that are starting to get on my nerves. I never buy a 1st version device, but I have had a palm phone since 2001. Never had issues with them really. I guess I'll have to tough it out. But it does something kinda stupid at least once a day. I hope the wrinkles get ironed out. AS long as they update it should get there one day.


    Any way anyone else having this issue, Roam sticking?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminNYC View Post
    Ok I've had the phone since launch. Question: Does Roaming seem to stick people out there?

    One day this week I had to do some subway transit action, usually I walk where I'm going around NYC unless late or really far. But I do underground and it flips to roaming. Then when I come back up I says "R". Ok I wait a few seconds....R....I wait a minute.....R.....I walk 2 long blocks......R. Google map won't launch bc not in a data area.. Come on I need the Google map to find there I'm going. I though you were a "smart" phone.

    Well I don't want to reboot the phone b/c that takes almost 2 min and I'm late and waiting for a call. And why the heck should I have to reboot it anyway. So I place a call ...dialing.....and then the R flips off. Back to map ok now back to work. Well this happened one more time that night and I had to place a quick call then hang up to get the roam off.

    I really want to love this phone but there are a few little kinks that are starting to get on my nerves. I never buy a 1st version device, but I have had a palm phone since 2001. Never had issues with them really. I guess I'll have to tough it out. But it does something kinda stupid at least once a day. I hope the wrinkles get ironed out. AS long as they update it should get there one day.


    Any way anyone else having this issue, Roam sticking?
    If for some reason the phone wont go back to sprint, and data wont work on Verizon, go into the phone settings and change it to SPRINT ONLY. This will kick you off verizon and back onto sprint.
  3. #3  
    For a temporary fix, you can enable data roaming so you can still access google maps.

    Go to Dialer, click the top left of the screen and turn Data Roaming on.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    go into the phone settings and change it to SPRINT ONLY. This will kick you off verizon and back onto sprint.
    That works too, but you can turn on data roaming also and hope verizon has data underground.
  5.    #5  
    Ahh Nice. So you think it was sticking to Verizon the local roaming provider?
  6. Mikest's Avatar
    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    #6  
    While I wasn't roaming I was driving through the Knobs of Indiana recently and the further I got from the freeway my coverage went from 3G to 1X to R and finally no signal once I was well into the country side. I had no problems with this since the area was remote but on the way home on the freeway I knew I was in 3G territory and the phone was stuck in R. I pulled off the freeway and rebooted my phone and suddenly I was full bars EV.

    In hindsight I likely could of just toggled airplane mode off and on
  7. #7  
    I know here in B=More Verizon towers try to over power Sprint towers all the time . I just keep mine on Sprint only for the most part.
  8. Nrbelex's Avatar
    Posts
    141 Posts
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    #8  
    I've also had roaming stick in NYC. I think I tried flipping into airplane mode and back out. Can't remember if that solved it though... haha.
  9. jerich007's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #9  
    Do we incur extra charges if we enable data roaming? I was afraid I'd get a crazy bill if I did so.
    Palm III --> PalmVx + Omnisky --> Samsung i730 --> Treo 650 --> Samsung i760 --> AT&T Tilt --> Palm Pre
  10. GenX's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #10  
    Don't turn on DATA roaming. There is a fee for it's use. Also roaming on voice will still cost you minutes after 7 and weekends or mtm.
  11. #11  
    I get data roaming included in my Everything 450 plan...
  12. GenX's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #12  
    I have everything 1500 and the sprint rep told me that I will get charged extra for roaming on data.
  13. #13  
    I was out by Lake of the Ozarks here in MO and mine stuck in no signal until I rebooted it.
  14. #14  
    I do not get charged for roaming. or data roaming. I talked to a sprint rep online after having a $0.07 charge from my previous family plan for data roaming. The sprint rep refunded the massive $0.07 fee, and told me I would not receive any more charges. I have no received charges for data roaming... and sprint has free voice roaming anyway.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  15. #15  
    I thought the free roaming is only for voice across America, but does that include data for internet usage? I assume it applies to everyone in here since we all have to use an everything data plan anyway
  16. #16  
    Same here, voice and data roaming is included in my "Everything Data Share 1500" plan.
  17. #17  
    So even tho all of us have an Everything plan, some people get charged for data roaming and some don't? That can't be right...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrbelex View Post
    I've also had roaming stick in NYC. I think I tried flipping into airplane mode and back out. Can't remember if that solved it though... haha.
    This has happened to me with every Sprint phone I've owned. Some are worse than others, but they all seem to get stuck in roaming. I haven't seen it with the Pre yet though, but I know it will happen

    Quote Originally Posted by GenX View Post
    Don't turn on DATA roaming. There is a fee for it's use. Also roaming on voice will still cost you minutes after 7 and weekends or mtm.
    I've used data roaming quite frequently and never got charged - not even when I was in Canada a few years ago (although that might be an anomaly). It's not a recommended practice, but I leave it on so in a pinch I can still have data when I'm roaming.
  19. #19  
    I am curious. Those of you getting charged for data roaming, are you on a single line plan?

    The "Everything Data Plan 1500" is a family plan only if I'm not mistaken? This is the one I have.

    About the getting stuck in roaming, I do have that issue slightly. It doesn't remain stuck in roaming for more than say 5minutes though, the Pre is really aggressive at finding Sprint towers.

    As I stated in an earlier post, I went into the online support chat when I had data roaming charges and got them reversed and was promised it would not happen again. I even have it in transcript form(this is why I use the online option primarily).
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  20. #20  
    I have a single line, the Everything Data 450 and data roaming is included free. I don't get why some people are getting charged for it... Confusing!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions