1.    #1  
    A friend of mine has the Pre and is wanting Golf GPS for his phone, If no apps are currently available he was wondering if he purchased the Palm classic app if it would then make the task of finding a Golf program a tad easier. So if anyone else is looking or interested please post if you find anything.

Thanks.
    Definitely interested in something for the Pre. I haven't searched much but it looks like some Verizon customers can get GPSGolfShot as a subscription. I can't say I play enough to justify the cost though...
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    i would love a golf GPS app.
    Cingular 750
    Maybe we should go down this list and start e-mailing the companies for Pre support.
    I sent an e-mail to this company expressing my interest in their app and explained that I am using the new WebOS. and here is the answer I got.

"Palm hasn't released the developer tools for the Palm Pre yet, so we
    don't currently have a timeline for a Pre version."

doesn't sound like it will come soon, but I just hope if enough people write them they will try to speed things up a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I sent an e-mail to this company expressing my interest in their app and explained that I am using the new WebOS. and here is the answer I got.

"Palm hasn't released the developer tools for the Palm Pre yet, so we
    don't currently have a timeline for a Pre version."

doesn't sound like it will come soon, but I just hope if enough people write them they will try to speed things up a bit.
    Sounds like they are waiting for the SDK, so it might be more useful to hassle Palm about releasing it.
    Wouldn't you need the courses mapped out? How much would this cost, and who would add your particular golf course to the application? Or would it just be some cheapo aerial photo solution?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Wouldn't you need the courses mapped out? How much would this cost, and who would add your particular golf course to the application? Or would it just be some cheapo aerial photo solution?
    There are already plenty of Golf GPS apps for Windows mobile phones or Blackberrys, I have the Treo Pro and I use Free Caddie, I think that something set up along those lines would be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    Should not be too hard to arrange for the software to allow you to walk the course and save the tee and pin positions yourself.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    guys,over in the webos development section a guy named ericwest is working on this. Can't post links yet but just search the forum for golf and it will come up. It started as just a scorecard and has grown to a gps. Go over there an input your ideas.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott559 View Post
    If no apps are currently available he was wondering if he purchased the Palm classic app if it would then make the task of finding a Golf program a tad easier. .
    not sure if it's changed now, but last I checked, the GPS software is not supported for the classic emulator.

So if he buys a classic program with Golf that uses GPS, it will not work.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    you'd definitely need an extra battery to get through a round. (especially with the way i play)
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    not sure if it's changed now, but last I checked, the GPS software is not supported for the classic emulator.

So if he buys a classic program with Golf that uses GPS, it will not work.
    Thanks much for that info, I will pass it along!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I just started golfing last year and would love a golf gps program. I almost got a blackberry because of the number of programs available for it
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I'm working on this right now, I've got a working example on my Pre.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...cator-pre.html
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    This would probably be #1 on my want list for this phone. Great work so far Moserjj

I just have to ask - There are already Golf GPS apps out there for other phones that have an extensive library of courses, could those be of any help or could the people who made those easily port the app?

I'm guessing no since it's a different platform, but the GPS data could be very useful.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I haven't found any course libraries yet - although that would certainly be nice. I'm sure all the existing companies keep that data under lock and key for good reason. I'm sure 1 or more companies is working on a webOS gps app too - but I have no way to know for sure. I know I didn't want to wait - so I created my own! I'm hoping to be able to release something soon for others to use - even if you have to map your course(s) once.