View Poll Results: What mobile OS did you leave behind for webOS?

Voters
436. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPhone

26 5.96%
  • Android

5 1.15%
  • Windows Mobile

169 38.76%
  • Palm OS

129 29.59%
  • BlackBerry

53 12.16%
  • Hiptop (Sidekick)

3 0.69%
  • Other

47 10.78%
  • Symbian

4 0.92%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Palm OS for the Last 5 years! I liked the stability of Palm OS, it was sturdy responsive neough for my needs, The treos lacked GPS, WiFi & multi tasking other than that the Palm OS was lightweight, stable and the Treos although bit on the large side were very Stable, Sturdy and built Solid!, My took being dropped, dunked in Water and abused my 2 toddlers. Still running solid.

I love the far superior WEbOS I wish Pre was built more stable on the hardware side.
    I left Skyfire (and sometimes Opera) from my HTC Touch for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    It's not surprising re Windowze mobile. I am not going to bag WM though (lots of others have already done that enough). I will miss the deep integration with Exchange that no other platform provides and have not had stability problems with Windowze mobile.

Once I get the PRE there will a period of time where I'll be ..."but why doesn't it do that, my Windoze mobile did !!....

However if the PIM function can be improved (I live through in calendar/meetings !!! So being able to add attendees is crucial!!) also they MUST sort out the formatting so it sin't a stream of unformatted rubbish when you forward a message.

If those two things are fixed I can live with any other functional differences.

Without them fixed I probably won't jump.

What surprised me more was that (even though BB was the true 2nd place platform) there weren't higher figures for BB. I assume that is it that there are not many BB users posting here.

WM and BB have the most to fear from the PRE
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    I've left my BB Curve for the Pre. I loved the Curve, but just never was satisfied with RIM's implementation of SMS messaging. Their BB Messenger is a great app, and quite similar to how Palm does SMS messaging, but why they cannot do SMS the same way is beyond me. And I text more than phone call, or even email for that matter. The client on webOS is gorgeous and functional, other than lack of forwarding. The shortcomings on the Pre right now, by and large, can and likely will be handled by updates or 3rd party developers.

Oh, and I think the BB web browser is just ok, whereas the Pre's browser is sweet. My problem is I find myself browsing way too much now with my Pre. :-)

Dittos to the hardware quality concerns though. My son was pushed into a swimming pool with his Centro in his pocket, and after drying it out it still fully functioned. I don't see that happening on this device, but then maybe it's made better than it seems. I wince at the thought of dropping it like I did my old Treo 700p on concrete.
    Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    As technology gets more complicated then the likelihood of it being less susceptible to to knocks (and the odd dive in the swimming pool) reduce.

Look at most of the newest smart phones today and I think your statement could be repeated for many of them.
    The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    Instinct... Im suprised by all the WMo's
    SCK Manager
    Didn't quite leave Android, my G1 is just a WiFi bound device from now on. For a personal device I felt the Pre was more intended to be a phone and organizer, while the G1 is more general in purpose which is good but not as optimised.

That said, I'm still skeptical about the Pre. It has serious issues that I can only hope Palm is working on. The Pre behavior in certain operations seem to be problematic beyond mere bugs, but conceptual errors.

I'm waiting to see what Android devices Motorola will be putting out. I don't like the trend exhibited by HTC and Sony Ericsson of fancy UIs cluttered with widgets. It's the scenario I worried about concerning Android, with each handset manufacturer trying to differentiate itself with over the top UI's.

Sometimes I can't believe it's 2009 and there is still no one really good OS out there that just works. We have Apple who has the resources but is being capricious, we have Palm that means well but so far not delivering, and Android which looks to be a hodge podge of UI's. S60, BB and WM are out of the question for me.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    That said, I'm still skeptical about the Pre. It has serious issues that I can only hope Palm is working on. The Pre behavior in certain operations seem to be problematic beyond mere bugs, but conceptual errors.

Sometimes I can't believe it's 2009 and there is still no one really good OS out there that just works. We have Apple who has the resources but is being capricious, we have Palm that means well but so far not delivering, and Android which looks to be a hodge podge of UI's. S60, BB and WM are out of the question for me.
    I quite agree with your review of the situation. I'm hopeful but a bit worried about what Palm will do to refine the Pre - it really needs a bit more polish, quite a bit more optimization for performance, and there is a decent sized to-do list of basic features.
    instinct.. they are coming out of warranty and the problems are starting. seen more instincts this month for repairs than the previous 11 months combined. left it asap.
    Opera. Webos is better on my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by as147 View Post
    As technology gets more complicated then the likelihood of it being less susceptible to to knocks (and the odd dive in the swimming pool) reduce.

Look at most of the newest smart phones today and I think your statement could be repeated for many of them.
    I agree that the more complicated the devices become, the more susceptible they will be to accidental damage. However, my BB Curve, which isn't that old of a device, twice popped out of my holster (the closure tab snagged on my shirt I think) and dropped on the ground hard enough to pop the back off and my battery went flying out. One of those times was on concrete. Despite a couple of very tiny nicks in the rubbery top corner, no damage done. Whew! Most of end I suspect accidentally drop our phones sometime in their life. I hope the Pre is solid enough to handle that. Swimming pool, that may be too much to ask for anyway.
    My last phone was a Moto Razr.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Java/Brew based needs to be added to represent all the Samung Instinct users
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlynch11 View Post
    It's not that weird when you consider what a steaming pile of s*** Windows Mobile is!
    Ah another one... I love this game. 4 letter words that start with "S"... hmmm...

consider what a steaming pile of soap Windows Mobile is
    consider what a steaming pile of **** Windows Mobile is
    consider what a steaming pile of snow Windows Mobile is
    consider what a steaming pile of sexy Windows Mobile is
    consider what a steaming pile of soup Windows Mobile is
    (steaming pile of soup sounds yummy right now.)
    I switched to the Palm Pre from Verizon's LG VX9900 (the "enV"). Not a true smartphone, the OS is a proprietary Verizon-LG mashup, I believe. I did select the phone due to an expansive range of features and qwerty keyboard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12