Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sunspotwendy, did you look into that link I gave you for mail-in repair?
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Sunspotwendy, did you look into that link I gave you for mail-in repair?
    I sure did, smithwicks. Thank you! However, the repair described in that link is a different issue than what I'm experiencing... I don't need the touchscreen replaced.

But I'll definitely keep it in mind & maybe call and see if they are able to fix the issue I'm experiencing.

Thanks!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I am curious, is it past the 30day period? Also does it appear physically damaged like it fell hard? If it doesn't you could just take it in and complain that it's a hardware failure.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  4. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspotwendy View Post
    Just confirmed the phone works (my brother called and I answered by sliding it open). But of course I can't dial out.
    Wait - WHAT?

Since when can you answer a call by sliding the phone open?!?
    I've been complaining about this since day one
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    Wait - WHAT?

Since when can you answer a call by sliding the phone open?!?
    I've been complaining about this since day one
    My Pre does this although I don't see how it would be a desired feature. Why would you need the keyboard if you are answering a call?

But I do slide the phone open by using Palm's recommended method which is pressing in the middle of the screen to slide open. Maybe doing it that way activates the "drag up to answer" feature of the touchscreen to answer the call.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I was told by Sprint Rep on release day that I had to get the insurance. He said it was not an option on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huncher View Post
    I was told by Sprint Rep on release day that I had to get the insurance. He said it was not an option on the Pre.
    Then he was either very misinformed, just plain stupid, or a liar.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i guess im lucky i dropped mine with the slider open from a lawn chair on a drive way and got a small crack in the top of it, no other ill effects, then a couple of days ago i had my first standing drop, open on concrete, didnt seem to do much but nick up the sides, i have a bodygaurdz, im sure that helped.
    I could see a sales rep maybe justifying saying something like this as: With a $500+ phone, buying insurance is "not [really] optional". It's something you really "HAVE" to do when you buy [an expensive device like] the Pre. I could even see some reps being frustrated with people not buying insurance and lying to any next customers, justifying their lie by convincing themselves they know better than the customer.

For the record: I think doing this is disrespectful to the customer (and should be considered slimy).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Umm. Weird. Probably one of those stupid none corporate store things.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    If there is no impact damage, bring it into a Sprint store and have it replaced under the MFG. If it's obvious that it was dropped, you may be out of luck.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    The possibility of being stuck in a 2yr contract with a phone you can't use is a reason you buy insurance. It's like playing russian roulette.

I'm sorry to sound mean, but i don't feel for you too much. I'd imagine you have insurance on your home and car despite the fact that you may not have ever had one burn down or been in a wreck. It's just the sensible thing to do. And with $500+ cell phones, it's better to just get the insurance than be out $500 at the drop of a hat (or in this case a phone).
  13.    #53  
    There is no impact damage... The phone looks good as new.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I have been with Sprint for 10 years. Some phones I have insured some I have not. But I Specifically asked him about the insurance. He said Sprint was making Pre owners take the insurance due to the high cost of replacement. I didn't care anyway, the phone is new and expensive so I was getting the insurance anyway. I did think it was odd though.
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post
    The possibility of being stuck in a 2yr contract with a phone you can't use is a reason you buy insurance. It's like playing russian roulette.

I'm sorry to sound mean, but i don't feel for you too much. I'd imagine you have insurance on your home and car despite the fact that you may not have ever had one burn down or been in a wreck. It's just the sensible thing to do. And with $500+ cell phones, it's better to just get the insurance than be out $500 at the drop of a hat (or in this case a phone).
    I wasn't looking for your sympathy nor your judgement, TYVM.

And, as previously mentioned, I didn't purchase the insurance for the very reason that I went 3 years with my Treo 700p and had no issues. Based off of my positive experience with that Palm phone, I decided to forego the additional cost of insurance.

The point of this post was to explore options for repairing my phone, AT MY COST.

And- incidentally- if you're sorry to sound mean? Simply don't be mean in the first place!
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by wicketr View Post

Furthermore: a $199 phone purchase is hardly comparable to a car or home.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    I would question the Sprint store again about damaged phones that are not covered by the one year warranty. I had a situation where I had a Treo 800 that was giving me some fits, and I took it in. It was under the 1 year warranty from palm, but not covered by insurance. In talking with the repair rep, I was told that if it was software, it would be fixed for free. If it was a part that failed, it would be about $60. If it was caused by physical damage (dropped/water damage/etc.), it would be a flat $119 charge to exchange the phone. I would be asking Sprint what your repair options are under the 1 year warranty. If the say you have to buy a new phone, I would cancel my line, pay the ETF, and then look into getting another phone, either a Pre from Sprint, or another carrier. It'll be cheaper than paying over $500 for a new Pre, and I'm sure somewhere along the line that retentions will get involved and help you get a replacement phone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Furthermore: a $199 phone purchase is hardly comparable to a car or home.
    Not so sure...

New car $25,000 Insurance for said car is $125 a month over the 5 year loan
    $125 * 60months = $7,500 about %30 of original cost

New Pre $550 Insurance for Pre is $7 a month over the 2 year contract
    $7 * 24months = $168 about %30 of original cost

Buy a car outright put minimal insurance wreck it your out of pocket to repair or replace. Now if had full coverage you could make a claim and pay the deductible with minimal out of pocket money spent.

Buy a pre outright op for no insurance break it your out of pocket to repair or replace. Now if had Insurance you could make a claim and pay the deductible with minimal out of pocket money spent.

They compare really well don't ya think?
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Not so sure...

New car $25,000 Insurance for said car is $125 a month over the 5 year loan
    $125 * 60months = $7,500 about %30 of original cost

New Pre $550 Insurance for Pre is $7 a month over the 2 year contract
    $7 * 24months = $168 about %30 of original cost

Buy a car outright put minimal insurance wreck it your out of pocket to repair or replace. Now if had full coverage you could make a claim and pay the deductible with minimal out of pocket money spent.

Buy a pre outright op for no insurance break it your out of pocket to repair or replace. Now if had Insurance you could make a claim and pay the deductible with minimal out of pocket money spent.

They compare really well don't ya think?
    I don't think they compare well at all. You're looking at the percentage; while that may be the same, what would ultimately hurt a person (at least me, personally) is the amount of $$ out of pocket.

Break my car in a crash or lose my home to a fire, and I have to buy a new one (thousands of dollars out of pocket = major disaster). Break my phone? I can replace it without financially destroying my life... and normally, a phone can be repaired for a fraction of the brand new "non contract" price.

But hey, to each his own...
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    There is no impact damage... The phone looks good as new.
    Wendy, You did not mention whether you observed the phone working immediately before it dropped. If you were using viewing the screen with the phone turned on when it dropped, you can probably assume that the backlight may have bugun malfucntioning upon impact. If you didn't see whether the screen was on as it dropped, it's entirely possible that the screen could have malfunctioned before (even if seconds before) the accident. In addition to the backlight failing, perhaps the proximity sensor became somehow "stuck on" (thinking the phone is still next to your face). Even if the problem occurred upon dropping, it's still possible that it failed due to a manufacturing defect (bad solder connection or a connector that was not fully inserted, etc.). I'm guessing the manufacturing defect is a possibility because yours is the only phone that we know of here that failed in this way upon dropping.

(EDIT: You might be able to post in the "Ask a Sprint Rep" thread to see if they've heard of any other phones "failing darK" but being otherwise operational. If not, yours is probably a defect - If so, and they were not dropped, yours may still be a defect. Just use whatever supporting info they give you to help build your case.)

If I were you, I'd go back to the store (or another store) and try again. If you can say that you are not sure whether it was working before the drop, and that you don't want to be penalized for a potential manufacturing defect to your phone, ask if they can send your phone back and let the manufacturer determine if it's a defect or not. This might be enough just to get the sprint store to arrange an exchange. Be firm, and willing to send your actual phone in. If they aren't at least willing to send your phone back, ask to speak to the manager's boss. Also ask to speak to someone at Palm. When you speal to Palm, tell them how pleased you were with the Treo 700p and that you were hoping for the same experience with thw Pre but that you are now disappointed. You are right that the phone should be tough enough to survive a fall if the screen did not break. Go with your gut and try again!

(BTW: I think the proximity sensor should only affect the phone app, but if it was "stuck on", maybe it would still always blank out the screen. Did you also try taking out the battery and re-inserting it?)

Good Luck,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 07/15/2009 at 02:08 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast