Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I suspect you may have been lucky and maybe just a connector became dislodged. I've never taken apart a Pre so I'd suggest you google for any "gotchas" and make a plan before proceeding. From what I've googled so far, it looks like the device is backlit with LEDs near the bottom of the screen. LEDs typically don't fail when dropped which is why I think it might be a connector.

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I like my Treo more all the time. My 700p took a flyer when I had a motorcycle accident. I found the phone, and back about 20-30 feet down the road, never found the battery at all. Actually ground off part of the antenna. Put a spare battery in, and it worked perfectly.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I like my Treo more all the time. My 700p took a flyer when I had a motorcycle accident. I found the phone, and back about 20-30 feet down the road, never found the battery at all. Actually ground off part of the antenna. Put a spare battery in, and it worked perfectly.
    Yeah, 700p; built like a tank, but re-booted any time I looked at it sideways. That phone was agony :-(
    "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    Quite a moral dilemma Wendy. Yes, you can get away with it; but should you...?

By the way, I remember you from the line in Wisconsin. I was 1st in line. If I were in your shoes, I'd go to the store and explain your situation to Eric. He's sure to be able to work something out for you.
    Hey, good to hear from you!

Not to worry Jim, no dilemma here. I am not interested in being dishonest or attempting to get something for nothing - This was 100% my fault and I have no qualms admitting it. Just trying to figure out the next (and hopefully least costly) step now. I'll be heading over to Sprint shortly to see if they can help me.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I suspect you may have been lucky and maybe just a connector became dislodged. I've never taken apart a Pre so I'd suggest you google for any "gotchas" and make a plan before proceeding. From what I've googled so far, it looks like the device is backlit with LEDs near the bottom of the screen. LEDs typically don't fail when dropped which is why I think it might be a connector.

good luck,
    --
    Bob
    I hope you are right, Bclancy! I was thinking the same thing - even the little lights at the bottom work when I do the swipe. The touch screen works, and I can receive calls, so it seems like the only thing not doing its job is whatever delivers the image to the screen.

I just went to Sprint and they basically told me I'm totally out of luck. Unless I want to buy a new one for $550 (no thanks).

I'm reactivating my battle-worn Treo... *sigh*

Looks like I may have a little dissection experiment ahead.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    sucks bro
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Bummer.

How did you pay for your phone? My credit card co. (MBNA, now B of A) doubles warranties and offers some automatic protection when an item is purchased 100% with the card. Worth a shot...
    Quote Originally Posted by LuluBee View Post
    I never said I had morals lol. & who really cares she's paying for the insurance and a deductible it would be no different from her adding insurance today and suddenly losing the phone a week later Asurion is still obligated to issue a replacement. Besides I didn't say grab OJ Simpson and attempt to rob the place. Now if you cancel the insurance after getting the replacement and everytime your phone broke you did this you're wrong. I hope you've learned your lesson if it cost more to replace your phone out of pocket than paying for insurance, pay for the insurance.

The difference is called FRAUD.
    I would also go into the store and see if you can work a sob story angle on a nice sprint rep. The way sprints insurance works is a little tough to deal with though. In an attempt to avoid fraudulent insurance activations, if you do not purchase the $7/month insurance when you buy the phone you can't add it.
    So again, the rep is your only hope.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunspotwendy View Post
    I hope you are right, Bclancy! I was thinking the same thing - even the little lights at the bottom work when I do the swipe. The touch screen works, and I can receive calls, so it seems like the only thing not doing its job is whatever delivers the image to the screen.

I just went to Sprint and they basically told me I'm totally out of luck. Unless I want to buy a new one for $550 (no thanks).

I'm reactivating my battle-worn Treo... *sigh*

Looks like I may have a little dissection experiment ahead.

Well if Sprint isn't much help, what about this place? Link
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Looks like a good option.

I don't recommend insurance fraud, but to clarify the Asurion issue. The last time that I tried to put insurance on a phone after 30 days, I had to call them directly (Sprint will give you the number) and add to my plan. Then they called the phone to make sure that I actually had possession and that it was working.

I believe it is a 30 day waiting period, but not positive on that.

Good luck. I know it sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I suspect you may have been lucky and maybe just a connector became dislodged.
    My thoughts too. The same thing happens with LCD TV's. A simple cable disconnect will cause the exact symptoms the original poster is having.

On a side note, it amazing how many people promote insurance fraud in these forums. They are probably also the same ones *****ing about the high cost of it.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    The difference is called FRAUD.
    Fraud would be calling in a perfectly good phone so you can sell one and keep the other. Going to sprint and begging them to give you a FREE new phone that YOU broke when its out of warranty, now that's cheating the system. Point your moral compass on that. If I was a customer witnessing this I'd raise holy hell. The contract clearly states that phones out of warranty aren't covered so before you start pointing fingers think about what your saying. Since you want to be all about morals cough up the $550 for a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    Here's a How to Disect the Pre link that I found.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    not getting insurance on day one to save 7 bucks a month FTL. What the hell is wrong with you buddy? did you think this day would never come???!?
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by LuluBee View Post
    Fraud would be calling in a perfectly good phone so you can sell one and keep the other. Going to sprint and begging them to give you a FREE new phone that YOU broke when its out of warranty, now that's cheating the system. Point your moral compass on that. If I was a customer witnessing this I'd raise holy hell. The contract clearly states that phones out of warranty aren't covered so before you start pointing fingers think about what your saying. Since you want to be all about morals cough up the $550 for a new phone.
    Thanks for the helpful links, everybody.

Just to clarify, I am not asking for a free phone, not trying to cheat insurance, or lie in any way. I am not interested in getting anything I don't deserve. I JUST WANT MY PRE WORKING AGAIN!

I have a phone that is mostly functional which I would pay to have repaired. I've troubleshot to the point where I'm pretty sure I even know what is wrong with it.

However, Sprint was utterly unhelpful... Which I find disturbing, since I am stuck in a 2-year contract (or partnership, if you will) with them.

So, bottom line: After spending $400 on a new phone & accessories which I only used for 5 weeks, I am now paying more ($70/mo contract I had to change from my old $50/mo one), I am back to using an outdated phone.

I'm not even sure I would consider the tumble my phone took to be significantly outside of "normal use". This is something I take with me everywhere and it would be absurd to think that it would not, on occasion, get dropped. Nonetheless, I accept responsibility for my own mistake.

But I digress. Does anyone know anything about the Palm warranty? Before I go dissecting the phone I'm going to try to look into that and see if the Manufacturer can help me out at all.

I'll definitely be looking at other carriers when the Pre is available outside of Sprint.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by IMethos View Post
    not getting insurance on day one to save 7 bucks a month FTL. What the hell is wrong with you buddy? did you think this day would never come???!?
    I didn't get insurance on my Treo 700p and it lasted 3 glorious years without issue.
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Taking it to a Sprint repair facility yielded nothing? I find that pretty disheartning. TMobile is no better. My gf's G1 took a tumble and the glass cracked. They wouldn't service it. She had to buy a replacement. If this is where we are heading, I think $7 / month is worth it. Especially since I cannot, for the life of me, uglify my phone by putting it in a bulky case, or treating it like an egg in my pocket.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Enlil242 View Post
    Taking it to a Sprint repair facility yielded nothing? I find that pretty disheartning. TMobile is no better. My gf's G1 took a tumble and the glass cracked. They wouldn't service it. She had to buy a replacement. If this is where we are heading, I think $7 / month is worth it. Especially since I cannot, for the life of me, uglify my phone by putting it in a bulky case, or treating it like an egg in my pocket.
    Yeah, I took it to the Sprint store thinking they've probably seen this issue before and might be able to help out.

According to the Sprint technician, they are not a repair facility - and there isn't one in my town.

He also said they were instructed specifically to not attempt repairs on the Pre because it is "so new".
    SUNSPOT
    Arena Rock for Geeks
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Yep, the repair centers will not "open" up a Pre to repair it. The most they will do is remove the battery door and battery. It's not that the Pre is "new" but how it's put together which is why they don't work on them. Call Palm and see if they offer an kind of mail-in repair service. Even if you had insurance it would be a $100 deductible. If you feel the phone should have been able to handle the fall, I would be tempted to call Sprint and tell them you asked for insurance at the time of purchase but notices you were not charged for it on your first bill. Then tell them you have no problem with them making it retroactive and paying the $7 for the first month of service. When I work for Sprint the insurance company only required one call to be made from the phone once it had been added, but that may have changed by the look of some of these comments.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast