Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    While going out with the girls last night in NYC I dropped my phone in the middle of the street. It lay there for about ten minutes before I realized it wasn't in my purse. Did I mention it was raining too? My poor baby was soaked in its little pouch, plus cracked screen and lens from being ran over. I didn't even get to show it off or take pics of all the fun to upload to FB. I'm using my cousins Mogul and hate it, kb sucks as well as the browser. So I'm hoping u all can help me out, my insurance papers are at home. can I go to any Sprnt store for a replacement or do I have to wait for it to come in the mail? also, I plugged it in screen lights up but can't see anything...do you think the techs wll be able to rescue my pcs that weren't uploaded to computer? btw, sorry for the typos, Im tellng u this kb stnks and her I doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Unfortunately you have to go through Asurion for a replacement, and cannot go through Sprint. Its easiest to do it through their website, and the replacement should get sent out relatively quickly. As for your pics, I think because your phone is no longer able to function, that information is lost.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Since it got dropped and water damage ect. I'm pretty sure you're going to have to call it in and wait for it in the mail. They ship pretty quickly though. But it never hurts to go to the sprint store and cry a little to see if they will swap it for you in the store. Plus you are going to have to pay that $100 deductible.
    Pre
    ppcgeeks.com ---- ajk511
    This is definitely an Asurion claim.. $100 deductible.

As for the info on the device, it's toast. The only chance you would have is if you could get it to power on and get it to connect to the PC in USB Drive mode, which doesn't sound likely. This is precisely why I backup mine every couple days, and usually upload my pics to facebook (can't wait till a Flickr app, but I doubt it will come before a Picassa plugin) immediately.

I'm sorry to hear it. Let us know how fast Asurion gets the replacement to you. In fact, I wonder if they even have Pre's in stock. That's the only part of Asurion I have never liked.. "If device is not in stock, it will be replaced with a device with similar features."

Let us know!
    I LOVE MY PRE, BUT... I really hope Palm comes out with a webOS device that's made for us guys! I wore my WinMo Treo on my hip, dropped it more than a few times, and banged the crap out of the keyboard. Both my old Treo's still work today (700wx & 800wx), and the 800wx was not very well built. I feel like I have to treat the Pre like it's a fragile work of art...that I carry with me.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Wait, if the screen lights up that means the device is still running the light circuit. There still could be hope. Did you try plugging it into a usb port on a pc and attempting to hit usb mode? The only other way I know of is rooting and gaining ssh access.
    I'm sorry to hear about your Pre... That sounds like a painful death for a phone : /
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your Pre... That sounds like a painful death for a phone : /
    yeah sounds bad!!!
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    You can try pleading at the Sprint store but they'll probably tell you to file a claim through Asurion. Easiest way I have filed claims is through the website. Since your Pre still appears to power on you can try to connect it to your pc to get your pics but if your screen is not working then you prob won't be able to set it to USB mode. If that's the case then you may be able to get your pics transferred at the Sprint store to your replacement when it arrives.
    i500 --> Treo650 --> PPC6700 --> MotoQ --> Instinct --> Treo800w --> HTC Mogul/Palm Prē
    You'd be surprised how some phones/electronics can recover from the whole water thing. Best thing to do is pull the battery, and let the phone sit in a dry place for a day or two. Make sure it's totally dry and plug that puppy in.

Hardest thing to do is the immediate urge to turn the phone on, and try to use it to make sure it works. That's when things usually short and fry.

Let it dry out and check it out. I'd also cross your fingers, rub a rabbits foot and maybe do a little dance. (ok, not really..) but I've had phones and ipods come back from the wet after a good day of drying.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by whopred View Post
    You'd be surprised how some phones/electronics can recover from the whole water thing. Best thing to do is pull the battery, and let the phone sit in a dry place for a day or two. Make sure it's totally dry and plug that puppy in.

Hardest thing to do is the immediate urge to turn the phone on, and try to use it to make sure it works. That's when things usually short and fry.

Let it dry out and check it out. I'd also cross your fingers, rub a rabbits foot and maybe do a little dance. (ok, not really..) but I've had phones and ipods come back from the wet after a good day of drying.

Good luck!
    That works pretty well for the water damage, but it did get run over apparently. Although it would be cool, physical damage doesn't evaporate away..
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all the feedback...you guys are great! I am still out of town so haven't been able to get onlne to Assuron and don't even want to try on ths stupd phone of my cousns. When I get home I wll make my clam onlne and let u know how the experence goes.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Another tip: after removing the battery, put it in some kind of air-tight sealed container with dry rice. It helps absorb the moisture.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
    Another tip: after removing the battery, put it in some kind of air-tight sealed container with dry rice. It helps absorb the moisture.
    Um...the rice trick doesn't work too well after the phone gets run over by a car.
    A hair dryer works faster. Been there, done that.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

This is for: Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?

Did you know that Palm has in the works a new phone that will have a front facing QWERTY much like a Treo using the new WebOS?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

took me a week to receive a replacement. The good news is that they don't have any refurbished pre's so you will receive a brand new one. And you only have to return the phone so you will have an extra battery, usb and charger. The bad part is the wait.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones302 View Post
    took me a week to receive a replacement. The good news is that they don't have any refurbished pre's so you will receive a brand new one. And you only have to return the phone so you will have an extra battery, usb and charger. The bad part is the wait.
    I accessed the Assurion website online and completed the request for new phone. I received a message that my claim could not be processed until I completed the affadavit. That was an inconvenience to me because I was not at work and did not have access to a fax. Plus, the wording was unclear as to whether they would or would not initiate the claim if they had not yet received the affadavit. I explained to the Assurion rep that I've been paying them my 7 bucks faithfully for the past 10 years so why do they need this form before honoring my request! Like I want to kick out another $100 dollars for the hell of it. LSS, I had to pay $5 at a postal store to fax the form and my i.d.---sucks. Even worse, I do have a 5-10 business day wait, which is a bummer because I wanted to try out the GPS in W.VA while on vacation this weekend.

At least Sprint was helpful, I explained my situation at the store where I bought my Pre and they turned on my old Centro for me until my replacement phone arrives.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjones302 View Post
    Glad to get the extra charger and battery...that will come in handy and kind of make me less upset about kicking out $100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
    At least Sprint was helpful, I explained my situation at the store where I bought my Pre and they turned on my old Centro for me until my replacement phone arrives.
    Just an FYI....you could have done this yourself from your account on Sprint.com under "activate a new phone." I've done it a few times but some people do it all the time, they have "weekday" phones and "weekend" phones and just transfer the number back and forth. Takes a few minutes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast