• $5/month

26 12.56%
  • $10/month

3 1.45%
  • $20/month gimme another hit of that crackberry

1 0.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Stay with me here. In my opinion, the Pre out performs the BlackBerry Tour in pretty much every way... except BBM (blackberry messenger), which is pretty damn addictive. People who haven't used it, or don't really have friends, will dismiss it as an SMS equivalent. It's not.

Now I do not know anything about phone software/network issues, but I am guessing a third party RIM app could be made to give the Pre a "ghost pin" of sorts to join the BBM network. If this were possible, would you guys be willing to throw down somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks a month?
    Quote Originally Posted by prevolution View Post
    Stay with me here. In my opinion, the Pre out performs the BlackBerry Tour in pretty much every way... except BBM (blackberry messenger), which is pretty damn addictive. People who haven't used it, or don't really have friends, will dismiss it as an SMS equivalent. It's not.

Now I do not know anything about phone software/network issues, but I am guessing a third party RIM app could be made to give the Pre a "ghost pin" of sorts to join the BBM network. If this were possible, would you guys be willing to throw down somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks a month?
    BBs are now including the major IM clients (AIM, Yahoo, Windows Live, ICQ, Google Talk) so there's no need to be a part of the "exclusive" BBM club.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 07/12/2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Changed MSN to Windows Live. Added ICQ and Google Talk.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    what is bbm exactly?
    Yep, IM is IM and there are plenty of providers and will be plenty of webOS apps to support all the various IM'ers (yahoo, AIM, MSN, Jaber, etc...). Hell, it's hard to even miss my yahoo IM on the Pre as you can effectively type long msg (longer than 160 ch) and it just divides the msg into parts. I like that you don't see that, it just works.
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    One of the reasons I went with the Palm Pre: it's not a blackberry.

Nuff said.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    what is bbm exactly?
    http://tinyurl.com/czcdj8

^^there you go.
    google talk is on the pre. there is no need for bbm considering anyone can have google talk and not anyone can have bbm... its hard to find someone without a gmail account now a days.
    Why would you pay for $9.99/month for an IM service when there are numerous other IM networks for free?
    I here you on the BBM Client but gtalk on BB gaves you greater access 2 people not on BBM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Why would you pay for $9.99/month for an IM service when there are numerous other IM networks for free?
    because people dont stay signed on gtalk 24/7. and 90% of my friends have bberries.

BBM also informs you of message delivery time, and whether or not hte message was read.

i personally wouldn't pay $10/month. I'd probably throw down $5 though. The new version of BBM looks sick.
    I'm another one that's not paying for anything that any of number of APPS can do for free. I can just have SMS enabled on my AIM account and it does the same thing as BBM does. I can send to anyone and they can send to me at any time .

I also just don't get why not just use their Phone number and send a direct SMS that way it does everything BBM does and with the PRE it's just as easy to do.
    because people dont stay signed on gtalk 24/7. and 90% of my friends have bberries.
    Ever think that just maybe when people aren't logged into an IM program that they just don't want to be bothered?
    Haha. Great link.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Doubt blackberry would let you, its one of the ways they get you stuck on their phones - blackberry crack.

Bbm is nice, no real advantage over other I'm programs. Its like the old days when everyone insisted on keeping people on their own proprietary networks.
    Sorry. You don't get to resort to such smartassery when you started a thread on a topic that you admitted wouldn't be fully understood by some. Your topic, your responsibility to provide an intro to the info.

It's like starting a conversation with someone and you keep mentioning someone they don't know. It's not their responsibility to look that person up. It's up to you to make it clear what the hell you're talking about. Some people are just interested enough to ask you to fulfill that obligation.

Whew. That snark is contagious! I need a hug. Be right back.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I must be ancient because if I have anything more to say than a text - I call you!!

All this instant messaging is could for customer service reps, but I must be old fashioned that I'd rather talk than type. Of course, I know that means this thread isn't for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I must be ancient because if I have anything more to say than a text - I call you!!

All this instant messaging is could for customer service reps, but I must be old fashioned that I'd rather talk than type. Of course, I know that means this thread isn't for me.
    It's not always a matter of choice. Sometimes the other person isn't available, right then, but you need or want them to know. Sometimes you want to make sure they get all the details right so "writing it down" is a better option than telling them. Sometimes, you just need a record of what was said and when.

Sometimes.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I second the BBM motion. I know a lot of people that I used to talk to through BBM on my curve. It was very simple and fast. I love how it told you when the message was read and sent. It was probably the number one feature that was making me consider staying on my blackberry, Its also the number one feature that is making me possibly want to go back
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Sorry. You don't get to resort to such smartassery when you started a thread on a topic that you admitted wouldn't be fully understood by some. Your topic, your responsibility to provide an intro to the info.

It's like starting a conversation with someone and you keep mentioning someone they don't know. It's not their responsibility to look that person up. It's up to you to make it clear what the hell you're talking about. Some people are just interested enough to ask you to fulfill that obligation.

Whew. That snark is contagious! I need a hug. Be right back.
    Agree. Not to mention that the "let me google it for you" is a cliche and disguising it with a URL shortener is no different from the spammers on Twitter.

The poster who asked wanted to know what's so great about BBM, and even with the Google search and a bunch of posts later, I still don't get what's so great about it, other than it's exclusive to BB-users.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    No.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast