View Poll Results: How much would you pay per month for BBM

Voters
207. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nothing! Eff a BBM

    177 85.51%
  • $5/month

    26 12.56%
  • $10/month

    3 1.45%
  • $20/month gimme another hit of that crackberry

    1 0.48%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51
  1. IMethos's Avatar
    Posts
    487 Posts
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    #21  
    No. It's just another IM service that RIMM is charging for. Sounds like something apple would do...
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    BBs are now including the major IM clients (AIM, Yahoo, Windows Live, ICQ, Google Talk) so there's no need to be a part of the "exclusive" BBM club.
    But... everyone uses BBM instead .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  3. #23  
    I thought I read something about RIM making a desktop client for BBM. If that's true then I see no reason why they wouldn't make other clients maybe web based. I never used BBM when I owned a BB when I already used yahoo, win live, and google.
  4. #24  
    Can I further add BES isn't all that impressive. I've dealt with BES and Good and Good seemed better. It was better in both the ease of implementation and use from both the back-end and front-end perspectives. I think BB's are nice phones if touchscreens don't matter to you but the apps made by BB are not that good.
  5. dusty78's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    #25  
    I REALLY miss BBM or my personal booty call manager....its fast, simple, and easy. The ability to send pics almost instantly was also great. I would pay the $10....email used to be what made business users love the BB, now BBM has taken over. I'm probably going to add a line and get a tour next week for email and BBM alone (still keep the pre as my primary line)....what the hell 5 lines won't kill me...lol
  6. #26  
    Its a proprietary system that needs to die IMO. Imagine if every phone maker had their own version of text messaging. It would suck. There's too many IM protocols as it is too.

    No, I think SMS, MMS & Email are just fine. Tell your friends to send SMS like everyone else.

    P.S. Former Blackberry user for 4 years.
  7. DSPKweb's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    #27  
    Only my opinion...just embrace the Pre...if you wanted the BBM, should have gotten the Blackberry Either that or convert all your Blackberry friends to the Pre. Problem solved.
  8. zeiroe's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #28  
    *Throws on a double layer flame suit for being a first post noob*

    Posting cherry is now popped but I have been trolling your boards for a bit. I am a blackberry user (Storm) but the Pre has had my attention since the notion of webos. I hate Apple and I love how Palm throws them kidney punches.

    Now with the formalities out the way, I wouldn't say EFF BBM in my case. Granted, I probably wouldn't pay a monthly fee but I would love to have this option available. Unlike other chat/IM programs (AOL, MSN, AIM), on a blackberry, you can't turn off BBM once you start using it. So for BB users, it is a more reliable way of contacting someone instead of using a mobile alternative. Its just about as reliable as sending them an email. They will get the message, you'll know when they got it and if they read it.

    I know you will probably think to just use MMS or SMS, but i absolutely loath those message systems. I only resort to that for friends who don't know any better and get the free Nokia phones with their carrier plans. We have unlimited data plans. I plan to make full usage out of it.

    My entire family uses blackberries but with the limitations of the OS, it may not be the desirable phone for my situation. If Palm was able to somehow get BBM support on their phones, It would seal the deal for this BB user to go Pre.
  9. #29  
    I'm not going to pay per month for any app out there, Sprint has been pretty bad about charging per month for ringtone rights, games, and other various apps in the past. I'm willing to pay a flat rate for something, including a messaging service but, not a monthly charge.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Agree. Not to mention that the "let me google it for you" is a cliche and disguising it with a URL shortener is no different from the spammers on Twitter.

    The poster who asked wanted to know what's so great about BBM, and even with the Google search and a bunch of posts later, I still don't get what's so great about it, other than it's exclusive to BB-users.
    Also not to mention in his google search 6 of the top 10 results for BBM aren't blackberry related. Number 4 was a link for BBM acronyms. The top BBM acronym being BrokeBack Mountain.

    Even the second result has a BrokeBack Mountain reference
  11. #31  
    So how is this better than SMS/MMS minus the read receipt?

    You probably loath SMS on BBerries because they aren't threaded. Something that has been on my Palm phones forever.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  12. rayln's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    So how is this better than SMS/MMS minus the read receipt?

    You probably loath SMS on BBerries because they aren't threaded. Something that has been on my Palm phones forever.
    bbm is data-based I think so it allows you to do things like sending messages to someone out the country without getting charged international rates for it.

    sms is different standard altogether.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    bbm is data-based I think so it allows you to do things like sending messages to someone out the country without getting charged international rates for it.

    sms is different standard altogether.
    I know it's different, I want to know how it is better.

    Read receipts and free international messaging doesn't seem like show stoppers to most.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  14. rayln's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I know it's different, I want to know how it is better.

    Read receipts and free international messaging doesn't seem like show stoppers to most.
    uh, obviously if you have a bb it's better to communicate with those who also have bbm. wouldn't need a text messaging plan if you wanted to be frugal.

    after all that's been said, I'm sure you could figure out whether this is something you'd be interested in paying for or not.
  15. zeiroe's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayln View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    So how is this better than SMS/MMS minus the read receipt?

    You probably loath SMS on BBerries because they aren't threaded. Something that has been on my Palm phones forever.
    bbm is data-based I think so it allows you to do things like sending messages to someone out the country without getting charged international rates for it.

    sms is different standard altogether.
    SMS/MMS have character/size restrictions. Its very limited. I wont argue, SMS messages on BB's are an eye sore. But even if they do improve the look, I wont be using it much more than before.

    BBM is indeed all data based. There is not a 160 char limit on what can be sent or ridiculous size restrictions on files I send. For instance, I create a 20s ringtone for a friend that got that free nokia with his plan and send it to them via MMS. It cannot be much bigger than 250k. Pictures sent on MMS also lose so much quality. Also, I don't have to add another special package on top of what we all should have included in our data plan ... Those of us not being on the Sprint everything plans of course

    SMS technology is severely limited. Mobile AIM, AOL and MSN have similar capabilities but its the added perks with BBM that do it for me:

    · always on, always logged in (If you use it).
    · BB users cannot close BBM or sign out making them unreachable.
  16. #36  
    My unlimited SMS and MMS plans on Sprint works just fine and they are included. And I use texting as my primary means of communication. That said, what is the question again?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  17. Dacsoft's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #37  
    I would consider a flat charge, but never a monthly charge.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by zeiroe View Post
    SMS/MMS have character/size restrictions. Its very limited. I wont argue, SMS messages on BB's are an eye sore. But even if they do improve the look, I wont be using it much more than before.

    BBM is indeed all data based. There is not a 160 char limit on what can be sent or ridiculous size restrictions on files I send. For instance, I create a 20s ringtone for a friend that got that free nokia with his plan and send it to them via MMS. It cannot be much bigger than 250k. Pictures sent on MMS also lose so much quality. Also, I don't have to add another special package on top of what we all should have included in our data plan ... Those of us not being on the Sprint everything plans of course

    SMS technology is severely limited. Mobile AIM, AOL and MSN have similar capabilities but its the added perks with BBM that do it for me:

    · always on, always logged in (If you use it).
    · BB users cannot close BBM or sign out making them unreachable.
    Both of these apply to SMS too. (Always signed in can't sign out)

    The 160 character limit is not a problem anymore since smartphones now will send multiple messages if you go over that limit. Sending ringtones and high quality pictures is nice but I am sure 90% of bbm conversations are just text anyways.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  19. #39  
    No way. I'd rather use the free messenger services I already enjoy. I didn't even use BBM much when I had a BB!
  20. zeiroe's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Both of these apply to SMS too. (Always signed in can't sign out)

    The 160 character limit is not a problem anymore since smartphones now will send multiple messages if you go over that limit. Sending ringtones and high quality pictures is nice but I am sure 90% of bbm conversations are just text anyways.
    I'm looking at BBM as being a combination of texting and IM programs. You can't set your status on your friends contacts list before he texts you, but you can in your IM app. You can turn off your IM app, but you have to turn your phone off to not gets texts.

    I've seen text messages take up to an hour on occasion to reach its destination. Sometimes it doesn't even reach them at all if they're in a bad coverage area ... and you don't know when they actually get your message if it was a text.

    There's only so much you can do with text. Data improves it so much more. Hell, they're on 2 totally separate network topographies.

    There's so many little things that BBM can do that it may seem trivial but I'll list a few:

    · Send contact info with BBM contacts to include all userdata with pictures in .vcf (you ever get bugged from someone asking for so-and-so's number, send him that contacts info through BBM.)
    · Compatibility with an endless number of applications to include facebook, GPS and mapping applications.

    Dont take this the wrong way, Its hard to explain the capabilities of BBM to someone that has never used it.

    As a marketing perspective, if Palm can get the Pre to work with BBM's, I will gladly make the switch to the Pre. I would rather pay a flat fee for the BBM app on the Pre than a monthly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions