1.    #1  
    Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and keep the Pre. 30 days pass tomorrow. It's my 5th Pre, but it has worked well, I just hope it won't fall apart somewhere down the road.

I've been really torn over this since I got it. I currently own a G1, and there's nothing really wrong with it, just a little slow and cumbersome. So during the past month I've had days of really appreciating the ease of use and speed of the Pre, and then days of being frustrated by omissions and silly bugs that should not have been released and thinking of going back to the G1.

My pet peeves mostly center around the browser form input methods. The inability to tab between fields using the keyboard, the impracticality of typing in miniaturized textareas, inability to select multiple items in a scrollable multi-select list, the excruciating text editing methods, partial clipboard support and no form auto-fill which is a must in a mobile device.

Other notable annoyances: incomplete control over system notification sounds, for example, the same volume for alarm (should be loud), and notification (should be medium to low), inability to set silent hours (receiving audible notifications at night) and finally somewhat disappointing implementation of Gmail, which seems to have been dumbed down to a standard IMAP client. It has no threaded conversations, and contacts and calendar are not pushed (they are on Android). Gmail is a real concern for me because it's very possible that Palm believes it's good enough and will not develop it further. But for many users, Gmail is their most important email client, important enough to stand on its own. And then, the missing search...

I want to believe that these are simply a result of a rushed release, since all are plain obvious and cannot possibly be acceptable to anyone at Palm using the device on a daily basis. If so, then fixes can be reasonably expected. Certainly, these issues are not on the scale of memory-related crashes that went on for years in the old Palm OS. In other words, Palm's challenges are not really technical, but more up to management and resources.

With all that said, I do believe that when it comes to a tightly integrated device such as a smartphone, Palm is in a better position to do the job than say, HTC or Motorola to whom UI is not a core competency. Unlike the other such company, Apple, Palm seems very laid back and open to developer interest.

And lastly, although Sprint's plan is more expensive than T-Mobile's, $70 to $55, Sprint's network is noticeably better. I'm getting real value for the extra cost. In contrast, this couldn't have been said to justify AT&T's plan rates.

So I will be keeping the Pre as my personal device, but will also keep the G1 for development. Android's SDK is deeper and some really interesting things are happening there. But those things are more prototypical than real usable tools for my daily needs. The Pre, for all its faults, is just a much better device, and if Palm only tends to the unfinished details it will be brilliant.
    Last edited by sivan; 07/12/2009 at 03:06 AM.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Love it!!!!! Best phone sprint has ever had
    Software-wise the phone is AWESOME! Hardware-wise, there are a lot of kinks to work through, but it is going to be worth it once the updates come sooner or later. I am on my third pre, and am now outside of the 30 day return period, so I hope that I am right.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I like the Pre a lot...but I loved it when I first bought it due to the allure of the phone. Im on my 3rd Pre and my girl just bought the 3GS. The Pre is a SLUG compared to the 3GS. A second class citizen. A wanna be. BUT Im keeping it because with that said iPhone 3.0 vs Pre 1.0 is a helluva accomplishment for Palm. And my Sprint plan would cost $150 on ATT. But i will be getting the iPhone 4G next year unless Palm pulls a rabbit out of the hat. The iPhone is a lot slicker, polished, of course a boatload of apps. So if my Pre wasnt so damn sluggish, had terrible signal quality (I never had dropped calls with my 8330 and have had several with Pre) and had a HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE battery I would be happy. It really makes me understand why Apple doesnt allow multitasking. I love multitasking, but my Pre LIVES on my Touchstone and I would be scared to death to go out for the whole day with my Pre. With that said, here's my assessment:

Pros:
    multitasking (gift & curse)
    gesture area
    more reliable 3G
    camera flash
    great organization (love the memos, calendar, contact notes)
    notification area is great
    monthly value (the Pre will pay for itself vs iPhone plans OR pay for my ETF in 11 months)
    feels like sex in the hand (esp with touchstone soft back)
    Touchstone charger is cool as *****
    No emoticons in messaging ?!?!?!?!?!

CONS:
    BATTERY LIFE IS HORRIBLE
    Reception is BAD (almost really bad...if they didnt send me a free Airave I would leave)
    WebOS main feature is its primary Achilles heel (multitasking makes this phone sluggish & KILLS my battery)
    Beautiful screen (VERY, VERY unresponsive and NOT accurate), nice rubbery keyboard
    OTA updates
    Synergy needs to be customizable (import ALL facebook freinds??? Cant delete ANY???)

In closing, its a great 1.0 device and its potential is scary. WAY MORE Apps, significantly improved battery life, better signal strength, improved performance and tweaks to Synergy would make this an awesome device. Why am I NOT leaving for iPhone 3GS???...because my main issues can be fixed OTA.

Anyone agree with my assessment? Disagree? Comments on how to address any of my issues before an update???? Luv Ya PreCentral fam!!!
    Hey noblejohn, how long do you think it will take Palm to make the OTA updates you want? 1-2 months, 6 months, a year?
    Last edited by Really mobile; 07/12/2009 at 12:47 PM.
  6.    #6  
    You misunderstand multitasking.

Inactive apps in the background do not consume battery power. They are active if you want them to. For example, don't use GTalk. It's up to you.

Now, even if you do use it, its battery consumption is minimal. The amount of data GTalk sends and receive in a full day barely equates to downloading a single web page.

If you don't want to play Pandora in the background, then don't. It's how much you use the device, if you multitask you're using it more than you would by using apps sequentially.

The Pre battery is smaller than the iPhone: 1150 vs 1400.

Multitasking takes CPU time if you use it. Don't play Pandora if you want everything running quickly with your current app.

Launch time is slower on the Pre not because of multitasking but because Pre apps load as web pages inside a browser. Whether this helps developers create more and better apps for the Pre remains to be seen.

There is just no evidence supporting Apple's justification regarding battery life. And in the end it bothers me in principle that Apple is making decisions for me when I'm perfectly capable making those decisions myself depending on my needs from the device. So I can't say I'm waiting for the next iPhone but rather a new way of thinking at Apple altogether before I buy one.

Now I'm also anxiously waiting for updates, and as I said and we agree on this, most of the problems with the Pre are not difficult to fix.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i HOPE (and Pray) within 1-2 months!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    Hey noblejohn, how long do you think it will take Palm to make the OTA updates you want? 1-2 months, 6 months, a year?
    i HOPE (and Pray) within 1-2 months!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    You misunderstand multitasking.

Inactive apps in the background do not consume battery power. They are active if you want them to. For example, don't use GTalk. It's up to you.

Now, even if you do use it, its battery consumption is minimal. The amount of data GTalk sends and receive in a full day barely equates to downloading a single web page.

If you don't want to play Pandora in the background, then don't. It's how much you use the device, if you multitask you're using it more than you would by using apps sequentially.

The Pre battery is smaller than the iPhone: 1150 vs 1400.

Multitasking takes CPU time if you use it. Don't play Pandora if you want everything running quickly with your current app.

Launch time is slower on the Pre not because of multitasking but because Pre apps load as web pages inside a browser. Whether this helps developers create more and better apps for the Pre remains to be seen.

There is just no evidence supporting Apple's justification regarding battery life. And in the end it bothers me in principle that Apple is making decisions for me when I'm perfectly capable making those decisions myself depending on my needs from the device. So I can't say I'm waiting for the next iPhone but rather a new way of thinking at Apple altogether before I buy one.

Now I'm also anxiously waiting for updates, and as I said and we agree on this, most of the problems with the Pre are not difficult to fix.
    sr#1-51645138619

Thank you sir! I appreciate your feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and keep the Pre. 30 days pass tomorrow. It's my 5th Pre, but it has worked well, I just hope it won't fall apart somewhere down the road.
    How do you reconcile "my 5th Pre" with "but it has worked well"??? Unbelievable!
    I'm hoping the creativity that gets developed for Android will spill into WebOS. Given their cores, that shouldn't be too hard. I knew I was buying reality and potential with the Pre and that's how I like it. The reason, I'm a PC and not a Mac is because Mac was polished and ***** proof, but left little room for customization and improvement. Seems I'm in the same boat this time. Luckily, I coming from a Centro, so I have no clue all the great apps I don't have. I'll patiently wait for them the way I did on my Centro.

I just hope Palm can afford enough a programming team to make steady progress on multiple fronts. For example, they could spend so much time ensuring Pixie/EOS works well, Pre owners could get frustrated. That's a real risk in my mind.