Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I bought the pre on day one, loved it, but ultimately had to return it since I could not search the calendar. I need this ability to function in my daily work schedule and don't understand why Palm could not add this simple feature to the pre.

I see from reading the forums that there have been a lot of additions and changes to the Pre since I returned mine (homebrew or otherwise). I would like to return if there is a way to search calendar. Does anyone know if this is possible yet?
    I second wanting to know this.
    It's on my list of the top 25 things that must be fixed before/if I try the Pre again. I closed my two Pre accounts last month and went back to Treo 755p's because I couldn't run my business with Pre in its current state.
    I try to check back weekly to see what changes may have been made. So far not so many....
    If Palm takes much longer I guess I'll just switch to one of the plethora of smartphones coming out.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I'm back. It was simply nuts to pay 170 bucks a month for the iphone when I get the same unlimited stuff on the pre for about 95 a month. Missing calendar search still sucks, but I will survive by carrying second device (non-sym iphone) for calendar search functions in the mean time.

Another thing missing from pre is agenda view. I have fixed this, kind of, by using google calendar on the pre. I sync my desktop Outlook to the gmail account so it is updated. Does anyone know how I can make the pre fool Google Calendar to think I am surfing with a desktop instead of the Pre. The reason I ask is that you can search Google Calendar from desktop, but not mobile device. The ability to search Google Calendar on my Pre would be a good work aroung until Palm fixes the Pre with native calendar search.

Perhaps someone can come up with a Homebrew App in the mean time. When I had the G1 it did not have calendar search either and someone just created a quick app to do it and made a few bucks (at least from me) in the process.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    After a number of hours I have answered my own question. This is a decent work around to being able to search calendar and other data not currently available on Pre.

1. You need a Gmail account
    2. You need to sync Outlook or other PIM with gmail (google has free sync for Outlook and Google Calendar).
    3. This puts your PIM data into Google calendar. When you look onto this from the Pre Browser it gives you a pretty good agenda view for the Pre.
    4. To search calendar you have go hit gmail tab while looking at Google calendar on browser.
    5. Once on gmail screen scrool to bottom and chose "desktop" version.
    6. gmail turns into desktop version.
    7. From gmail desktop version view chose calendar tab on top of the page.
    8. This takes you to desktop Google calendar view.
    9. From desktop view you can now search your calendar on Pre just as you could on your desktop computer.

For some reason you have to switch to gmail to get desktop view, you can't do this from mobile Google calendar view from the pre. That is what took me so long to figure this out. It looks like a lot of steps, but I tried to make as simple as possible and it is easier than it looks. I would rather have native calendar searching, but at least now I don't have to carry two devices (one for calendar search and the Pre). It is an easy enough work around until Palm does what it should have done in the first place and allows for native Pre calendar searching.
    Last edited by jonburge; 07/15/2009 at 03:07 AM. Reason: pressed enter before finished typing
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    I am not a business user but... why do you need search?
    Quote Originally Posted by yiffzer View Post
    I am not a business user but... why do you need search?
    Hmm, did I remember to make the doctor appointment last April? Wasn't I supposed to be coming back some time in July? Let's see...nothing on the 1st. Nothing on the 2nd. Nothing on the 3rd. Nothing on the 4th...

I think leaving out calendar search was a glaring omission, but I assume it'll come eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonburge View Post
    After a number of hours I have answered my own question. This is a decent work around to being able to search calendar and other data not currently available on Pre.

1. You need a Gmail account
    2. You need to sync Outlook or other PIM with gmail (google has free sync for Outlook and Google Calendar).
    3. This puts your PIM data into Google calendar. When you look onto this from the Pre Browser it gives you a pretty good agenda view for the Pre.
    4. To search calendar you have go hit gmail tab while looking at Google calendar on browser.
    5. Once on gmail screen scrool to bottom and chose "desktop" version.
    6. gmail turns into desktop version.
    7. From gmail desktop version view chose calendar tab on top of the page.
    8. This takes you to desktop Google calendar view.
    9. From desktop view you can now search your calendar on Pre just as you could on your desktop computer.

For some reason you have to switch to gmail to get desktop view, you can't do this from mobile Google calendar view from the pre. That is what took me so long to figure this out. It looks like a lot of steps, but I tried to make as simple as possible and it is easier than it looks. I would rather have native calendar searching, but at least now I don't have to carry two devices (one for calendar search and the Pre). It is an easy enough work around until Palm does what it should have done in the first place and allows for native Pre calendar searching.
    10. Add bookmark to your Pre browser for your searchable Google desktop Calendar.
    Last edited by galavanter; 07/15/2009 at 07:25 AM.
    Just go to google.com pull up your calendar and save it to your launcher you can search your entie calendar.
    Fred
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I typed "google.com/calendar" and it took me to the desktop version of the google calendar.

Quote Originally Posted by jonburge View Post
    Another thing missing from pre is agenda view. I have fixed this, kind of, by using google calendar on the pre.
    Thanks for mentioning this. The agenda view for the mobile google calendar is really good. Big help.
    Treo 300, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700P, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, HTC Mogul, Motorola Q9c, HTC Advantage, Treo 800w, Touch Pro, Treo Pro, Touch Diamond, Palm Pre, Touch Pro 2, and Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Its always the simplest things that take the most time to figure out.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    General note re: offline searching / non-google searching: take a look at this forum post. Not perfect, but, certainly helps ease the calendar search pain:

http://forums.precentral.net/general...available.html
    There is also a free app in the App Catalog for searching Google calendar:

http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...alendar-search
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers