Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, so I'm not your average, every-day phone user. I am a sailor, educator and deck-hand for an organization that spends weeks at a time out in the field, traveling up and down the Atlantic coast teaching environmental education programs. Think "Deadliest Catch" with students involved, complete with crashing waves, yelling, screaming, and stylish Grunden's (bright orange) rain bibs. I've fallen asleep sitting up, balanced on a stool, in 10 foot waves. I've slept in a bathroom to protect myself (and others) from the 45-mile-an-hour winds accompanying a heavy storm. I am in a new port nearly every day. I eat, sleep, and breath the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay. And my Palm Pre?

It's been there, for nearly two weeks, every step of the way.

So what I'd like to know, from you Pre users....what is the toughest situation you've put your Pre through? Did you ride out a storm on a boat, watching TV on the Pre on your boat, like I have? Did you drop your Pre on the bus, on the way to work? Did your boss ask you to edit an Excel sheet while you were road-tripping to vacation?

No one can accuse me of being "easy" on phones. I'd really like to hear some stories about the worst thing that's happened to your phone (that it's survived), and in return, I'll share some of my hilarious, silly stories back.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Well my Pre had it pretty rough. I was out golfing and had it in my pant pockets and it cracked the screen by itself. Pretty hard core use huh.
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Wish I had a cool story to share, but I'm an educator on land and we don't get many challenges like those you describe. My most extreme experience with my Pre this far would probably be traveling to the beach with dogs in the car and using the GPS.

I would love to hear more about some of yours, though. Sounds pretty crazy!
    I put mine through a shredder, followed by a wood chipper, followed by a garbage disposal. Then I gave it to the "will it blend" guy for a week. Not a scratch. After that, a sniper tried to shoot me with a .50BMG rifle. Hit the Pre, bounced off.

Really, though, mine went flying about 20 feet and landed on ceramic tile. No problems at all. I fully expected to have to go beg for a new phone.
    I've dropped mine from about 4-5 feet about 10 times, mostly on carpet but a couple of times on hardwood, not a scratch..
    I carry my pre "nakey" and almost never let it into anyone elses hands.. last night, made the mistake of letting a drunk girl at the bar who was oogling it hold it. Cue 2.5 seconds later, "OOPS!" three feet to the floor.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I actually rolled over and slept on mine for a few hours.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Opening and closing it
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorSteph View Post
    Alright, so I'm not your average, every-day phone user. I am a sailor, educator and deck-hand for an organization that spends weeks at a time out in the field, traveling up and down the Atlantic coast teaching environmental education programs. Think "Deadliest Catch" with students involved, complete with crashing waves, yelling, screaming, and stylish Grunden's (bright orange) rain bibs. I've fallen asleep sitting up, balanced on a stool, in 10 foot waves. I've slept in a bathroom to protect myself (and others) from the 45-mile-an-hour winds accompanying a heavy storm. I am in a new port nearly every day. I eat, sleep, and breath the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay. And my Palm Pre?

It's been there, for nearly two weeks, every step of the way.

So what I'd like to know, from you Pre users....what is the toughest situation you've put your Pre through? Did you ride out a storm on a boat, watching TV on the Pre on your boat, like I have? Did you drop your Pre on the bus, on the way to work? Did your boss ask you to edit an Excel sheet while you were road-tripping to vacation?

No one can accuse me of being "easy" on phones. I'd really like to hear some stories about the worst thing that's happened to your phone (that it's survived), and in return, I'll share some of my hilarious, silly stories back.
    I don't do nearly what you do (though I have slept in a v-berth on a 39' boat in 8' seas).

I used to have a special baggie type carrier for my Treo. It's too big and loose for the Pre, and haven't found one yet. Do you carry yours in anything special when on deck?

Frankly, I haven't even taken mine above board when underway yet.

BTW, my worst experience, and only TEP deductable replacement, was when I left my Treo down below to "protect" it. My wife left the cover off the bilge, and when we heeled over, the Treo rolled off the settee. As soon as I went below and saw the cover off the bilge, I knew where my phone was going to be.

My only semi-sailor wife said she did it "to dry out the bilge"...
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I don't do nearly what you do (though I have slept in a v-berth on a 39' boat in 8' seas).

I used to have a special baggie type carrier for my Treo. It's too big and loose for the Pre, and haven't found one yet. Do you carry yours in anything special when on deck?

BTW, my worst experience, and only TEP deductable replacement, was when I left my Treo down below to "protect" it. My wife left the cover off the bilge, and when we heeled over, the Treo rolled off the settee. As soon as I went below and saw the cover off the bilge, I knew where my phone was going to be.

Would you guys speak English!
    Quote Originally Posted by dvious View Post
    I carry my pre "nakey" and almost never let it into anyone elses hands.. last night, made the mistake of letting a drunk girl at the bar who was oogling it hold it. Cue 2.5 seconds later, "OOPS!" three feet to the floor.
    Come one everyone knows you don't let drunks girls play with it until after you get them to your house.
    Biggest challenge: Comic Con

It failed. I almost want to say epic fail, but when it was on, it was ON! The battery life killed my experience and throughout the show I found myself tethered to any wall outlet I could find. It was low/dying constantly, even after fully charging it overnight. It was heavy usage, but c'mon... The Seidio batteries of 1350 and 2600 mAh are too small/big, respectively. Need an extended battery in the 1600-2000 mAh range that works with the touchstone and doesn't add (or adds very little) thickness to the phone.

Is that asking too much?
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Worst thing mine had to go through? Cleaning all the spilled mochas out of the carpeting in my friend's car. Harrowing, I tells ya!
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I tired streaming music and surfing the web while texting friends once, my pre almost exploded.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

HParsons: When I first got the Pre, there weren't very many carrying options for the phone. I have periodically kept it in a small dry sac, and various places on board that I've always feared would lead to the same bilge experience you had. I used to have an Otterbox Defender for my Treo and Blackberry, but as far as I know they haven't made one yet for the Pre. I've been pretty impressed with it's ability to take a fall or two without any visible damage. And, as far as water goes, this phone has had a lot of exposure (rain, splashes, etc - no drops), but hasn't had any sort of noticeable reaction.
    I sail with my Pre all the time but have been careful to keep it in my dry bag. Glad to hear it can stand a little moisture if I forget and keep it in my pants pocket sometime.
    Washing machine....spin cycle.....no no, wait that was my flash drive (still works btw).

I have been lucky, nothing traumatic has happened to my pre yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I actually rolled over and slept on mine for a few hours.
    +1 (a couple times)
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I just got my Seidio 1350 battery last night and was trying to drain it as fast as possible to get a charge cycle or two out of the way. I started a long video on Youtube, started up navigation, started streaming Pandora (over EV-DO of course, wi-fi is too efficient for what I was trying to do) and then opened up app after app until I got the warning telling me to throw away cards, which I think I had a good 15-20 cards open by then.

Soon enough the Pre started giving me memory critical errors and the Pre became horribly unresponsive and eventually I just had to reset it to get it to respond at all. Not really very surprising given what I was asking the Pre to do at one time. I also think I know what the very worst case battery life for my Pre is now.
    gave it to my 4 year old on the train to play with he was bored.
    he was poking it so hard trying to get it to work
    still works fine no problems
    thinking about playing hot potato with it next
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast