1.    #1  
    Think about it - a phone that has a great layer on top of Linux and a very fast, low energy processor - why not a netbook version (isn't this what Google has in mind for a year from now with their 'new' os?). Design:

1. A device that can be entirely wifi, or, on Sprint added as a family goeverywhere 'data' phone (ie pc) for $20 / month extra (use bluetooth to an ear mic/speaker, or, integrated speakerphone for Sprint or Skype voice).
    2. 1-2gb memory, clock up the processor
    3. Room to size a battery to last days
    4. The existing Pre apps, webos touch interface, Open office and enough of the basic apps already available on linux (or thru a browser) to get momentum in the dev community. Is WebOS the gui that Linux needs to take over?
    5. VMWare player for those that need a windows app (I wonder if vmware works on the ARM processors, interesting vm device mapping would be needed for touch).
    6. 8-10 or 6-8 inches, slide out larger keyboard - could use bluetooth for wireless full kb or mouse, maybe dvi port for 'docking'.

I think this new platform paradigm in the small 'pc' market is coming 18 - 24 months- open source based, touch, Linux that's very easy to use for masses, and, a slow demise for bloated Vista / 7, power hungry Intels.

imho - Palm Webos is close to there, if they jump at it and get an 'iPhone' lead on the pack, otherwise Google will meld their announced Linux based OS, Android, Chrome.. into this and leave Palm in the dust.

Thoughts? Sounds cool to me after being up allnight trying the great ideas on this forum.
    While I would welcome a lighter, smaller system for things like ebooks, video, light Web surfing, etc., I do not want powerful, expandable systems with larger screens and immense storage to disappear--and, nor do I think they will. You can't do serious work on any of the current netbooks or your proposed system if you're creating content or doing work that requires serious screen real estate. Gaming would also suffer in terms of truly immersive experiences.

Personally, I like my Win 7/Intel machines, and don't want to see them going anywhere.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3.    #3  
    I agree, MS will be dominant for a long time. But, there are a lot of people that buy netbooks for 'light' use. It's an interesting size of hw and features that attract many.
    sounds cool but pre-pc or palm dies is a bit melodramatic, don't you think?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Artist's rendition of a 'Pre-Kindle' [Tablet PC?]:

FrankenPre2!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by stxmahn View Post
    I agree, MS will be dominant for a long time. But, there are a lot of people that buy netbooks for 'light' use. It's an interesting size of hw and features that attract many.
    My problem with the whole thing (and by "problem," I mean, as in it's a bummer) is that the netbook phenomenon is driving out (or could drive out) better high-end systems. Companies like Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo, Acer, etc., (and even Apple) need profits to continue their R&D investments. The more netbooks and lower-end systems that sell, the less their profitability and thus the less R&D to fuel continued advancements. Given the current economic system and its impact on computer spending, this trend can only be accelerated.

We don't want Linux-based systems to replace "real" computers, because that only decreases the incentive for people to build businesses around computing. If a netbook (or other low-end system) sells as an additional unit that otherwise would go unsold, great. If it sells as a replacement for a higher-end system, and because an uninformed purchaser is merely enticed by the lower price, then that's a very bad thing for the future of computing.

Not enough time to fully flesh out my idea here, but I think that gives the gist.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post

That thing needs some "Wide Load" markers...
    The problem with a large webOS tablet (or Apple tablet for that matter) is input. WebOS doesn't have any kind of virtual input, only the keyboard. (And for Apple, they have Inkwell on the computer, but it's just an addon feature, or the virtual keyboard on the iPhone). On the other hand, Windows 7 has handwriting recognition and other tablet features pervasive throughout the entire operating system, and on a larger sized tablet that makes much more sense than a virtual keyboard. Sure, I love my Pre, and occasionally on my Windows 7 tablet I attempt to "throw" icons off the taskbar to close programs, but I would never want to limit myself that way by having to use anything other than Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post

I do not really understand why people think companies will just stretch the crap out of their phones and make tablets with them. This is the same thing that was done with the iPhone and it looked terrible then, an terrible now. :P
  10.    #10  
    I saw some articles from February where Palm's CEO is considering netbooks based on webos. There have been some articles also suggesting this. It will be interesting to see what happens.