Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    One of the great things about the Pre being able to sync with Google Calendar is that you can fully utilize all of Google Calendar's SMS features.

For example, if you're annoyed by all the steps it takes to add an event on the Pre's calendar (especially for events with strange durations/start dates such as 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday), you can just send an SMS to Google Calendar at 48368. Google calendar is pretty smart at creating events so you can even just type in "Dinner with Sarah 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday" and it will create an event for next Wednesday at the correct time. You don't even need to type in the :'s either.

This is also good for making quick tasks. Because the Pre's task program is pretty basic (cannot set task due dates for specific times, just days), I've resorted to making calendar appointments which last 0 minutes to mimic a task reminder. This is a lot easier to do using SMS than creating the event using the Pre's calendar.

Before you can send text messages to google calendar you will need to set up your cell phone by going to google calendar on your computer, clicking on Settings, then Mobile Settings.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Thanks for tip.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Good find!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfougere View Post
    One of the great things about the Pre being able to sync with Google Calendar is that you can fully utilize all of Google Calendar's SMS features.

For example, if you're annoyed by all the steps it takes to add an event on the Pre's calendar (especially for events with strange durations/start dates such as 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday), you can just send an SMS to Google Calendar at 48368. Google calendar is pretty smart at creating events so you can even just type in "Dinner with Sarah 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday" and it will create an event for next Wednesday at the correct time. You don't even need to type in the :'s either.

This is also good for making quick tasks. Because the Pre's task program is pretty basic (cannot set task due dates for specific times, just days), I've resorted to making calendar appointments which last 0 minutes to mimic a task reminder. This is a lot easier to do using SMS than creating the event using the Pre's calendar.

Before you can send text messages to google calendar you will need to set up your cell phone by going to google calendar on your computer, clicking on Settings, then Mobile Settings.
    For whatever reason, Google doesn't seem to send me the verfication code so that I can register my PRE.....
    Awesome Tip! Between Google Voice, Gmail and my Pre I have never been more efficient or had more tech fun.

Best companies imo of today:

Google
    Apple
    Palm
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblacken View Post
    For whatever reason, Google doesn't seem to send me the verfication code so that I can register my PRE.....
    Are you getting an error, or does everything appear to work but you just don't ever receive a text?
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfougere View Post
    Are you getting an error, or does everything appear to work but you just don't ever receive a text?
    No error messages.....I receive the pop-up confirmation that the message has been sent. However I am not receiving the verification code on my PRE. I receive all types of SMS messages, so I don't think it's anything with Sprint.
    No error messages.....I receive the pop-up confirmation that the message has been sent. However I am not receiving the verification code on my PRE. I receive all types of SMS messages, so I don't think it's anything with Sprint.
    I am having the same issue.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darrinaltman View Post
    Best companies imo of today:

Google
    Apple
    Palm
    Just honestly curious - don't mean to start a flame war or anything here - but why is apple in your top three?
    how long does it take for google calendar to sync with Pre? Is it like gmail where its almost instant or does it take minutes or hours?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    been texting myself to gvent calendar ... no replies from google regarding updates, and when I check online, no updates

any ideas? how long does it take to update
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    You should get a text reply stating that an event has been created within a minute. On the Google calendar it will show as soon as the "push" or whatever it is does its thing. If you want to hurry the visual process -- hit refresh. This is so cool.
    dammit not working for me...

I get the verification code and all, so the setup was instantly but the new events add doesnt work for me
    This is starting to make me wonder if Google could be experiencing some service issues this weekend....
    Deleted my device from settings and re creating it works.

This is cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Deleted my device from settings and re creating it works.

This is cool!
    How do you delete it? I've been sending SMS messages and nothing is coming to my phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    How do you delete it? I've been sending SMS messages and nothing is coming to my phone
    Same with me...sending SMS messages but not receiving them. I even tried sending to my wife's phone number, and that didn't work either......
    Wow! That's cool. Thx.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    This will be great! Thanks. Showed up immediately on my Calendar too. No delay at all.
    Call Sprint. I had this problem in the past and they had turned off what is called "short codes" (I think that was it) anyway, I could not send SMS messages to anything except a real phone number. They fixed it right up.

Steve
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast