And another thanks to the OP. THANKS!!!
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Is there a special syntax when sending the SMS that will populate the 'Event Location' field on the Pre's calendar? All of the calendar events that I have created vis SMS show up on the Pre with the 'Event Name', but the location field is always blank.
    sweet! thanks!
    Great tip for those times when you just don't have much time.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I love this! Thanks!!!
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get the syntax just right. Whenever I add an event it will place it at the correct start time, but it defaults to one hour and puts my end time in the description instead.

:EDIT:

Figured this one out too. The times should be entered in 24hr format like this:

Event Name 0930-1445 Wed

OR

Event Name 1330-1830 7/22

No need to use the @ symbol, or use "on".
    Last edited by ccs86; 07/18/2009 at 12:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Also, as soon as the Pre receives the event and puts it in the calender (after waiting for like 10min even though gmail pushes immediately, or manually syncing in preferences) it pops up an event reminder to dismiss or snooze. I have my options for a non-all day event to remind 1 hr before.

:EDIT:

It was my gmail calender reminder settings doing that!
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    First of all, this is one of the coolest features I've never heard of ANYWHERE ELSE and one that fixes lots of shortcomings of the calendar! I just set this up today and tested it a couple of times. Works better than great! Thanks jrfougere! Brilliant!!

Not only can I effectively set start and end times that aren't necessarily on a 5 minute increment, with the new Web OS 1.1 update, I can change the alert for alarms to "At time of event" and they beep exactly when they should.

The ONLY shortcoming at this point is that I can't figure out how to have an alarm automatically attached to events created via SMS, so it's always a 3 step process:
    1) Text appointment details to Google SMS calendar
    2) Dismiss confirmation SMS message that pings back as soon as it's added to the calendar (usually in under a minute)
    3) Find newly created event in calendar and attach an alert to it.

Anybody know how to include attaching a Pre alert automatically, as a part of creating the event? (I'm specifically interested in the Pre-based alerts/beeps, not the Google email alerts for events)
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    No milie just Calendar events.

Thanks, this is great. Much easier than the Pre's Calendar app. I also just realized I can set the notification time to ANYTIME, like two hours before, a glaring omission from the Pre Calendar.
    How did you go about setting the notification time? I've been adding events to the Google calendar using SMS and it works like a charm!
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcycle View Post
    How did you go about setting the notification time? I've been adding events to the Google calendar using SMS and it works like a charm!
    Paul
    Go to your Calendar>Settings (top right corner)>Calendar Tab (2nd tab in Calendar Settings)>Click "Notifications". I stumbled upon it myself.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Go to your Calendar>Settings (top right corner)>Calendar Tab (2nd tab in Calendar Settings)>Click "Notifications". I stumbled upon it myself.
    This is great. I poked around in Google calendar settings and just couldn't find this. Your instructions were truly helpful. - Thanks!
    If you open up the pre and start typing the word "reminder" (letters rem only needed) a contact named REMINDER pre-populated with the SMS will appear...
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gkouri View Post
    If you open up the pre and start typing the word "reminder" (letters rem only needed) a contact named REMINDER pre-populated with the SMS will appear...
    Sorry. Didn't happen on my Pre.
    The SMS function uses the same syntax as the calendar Quick add. Here is the info I found to help.
    =========================================================

How Quick Add works and how to use it

If you have a name of a location that includes a date or time word, such as 'Taco Tuesdays' or 'Café 3pm,' use quotation marks around the name to avoid Quick Add from creating the event on Tuesday or at 3pm.

* Enter [lunch with John at "Taco Tuesdays" Friday 12 pm]

If you enter a time with no date, Quick Add will create the event on the earliest date that puts the event in the future; the present day if the time is later, or the next day if the time has already passed:

* Enter [Volleyball at 5pm]

If you do not enter a start time or end time, Quick Add will create an All Day event:

* Enter [Bank holiday 8/14]

If you don't enter an end time, Quick Add will create a one hour long event:

* Enter [Staff meeting next Monday at 13:00]

You can specify start and end times using either time ranges or time intervals:

* Enter [Running w/ Pat 2:15 tomorrow for 45 minutes]
    * Enter [Running w/ Pat 2:15 - 3 pm tomorrow]

Multi-day events can be specified using date ranges:

* Enter [National Conference 9/23 - 9/26 in Atlanta]

If you'd like someone added to the guest list, enter his or her email address.

* Enter [Lunch at Charlie's tomorrow noon gcal@gmail.com]

Three-letter time zone abbreviations can be recognized following the time:

* Enter [Call New York at 3 pm EDT]

Creating recurring events
    When creating recurring events, the time expression has three parts: the start, the repetition, and the end.

Example: [Gardening Monday at 10 am repeats weekly for 8 weeks].

The start is 'Monday at 10 am,' the repetition rule is 'repeats weekly,' and the end is given by '8 weeks.' Quick Add understands many kinds of repetition rules covering daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly repetitions. Examples are given below. We also encourage you to try various texts to explore this feature further.

To create a weekly recurring event:

* Enter [Meeting at work every Monday at 2pm]
    * Enter [Tennis practice Tuesday 7pm to 9pm weekly]

To create a monthly recurring event:

* Enter [Dinner at Mom's on the first Tuesday of every month]
    * Enter [Manicure on 9/1 every month]

To create a yearly recurring event:

* Enter [Mom's birthday June 19 yearly]
    * Enter [Wedding anniversary July 3 yearly]

To create an event that repeats a certain number of times:

* Enter [Baseball Game every Thursday for 10 weeks]
    * Enter [Language Class every Wednesday 7-8pm for 5 months]

When entering recurring events, don't enter a location in the middle of a time expression. For example, don't enter [dance practice every Tuesday in the gym at 8pm]. This event should be entered [dance practice at the gym every Tuesday 8pm].

Also, if you do not specify an end date, duration, or number of times the recurring event occurs, it will repeat for 365 times, which is the maximum number of instances currently allowed for a recurring event.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    ^ You Win!

Thanks, I was just about to go looking for documentation on the "Quick Add" syntax.

I wish we could specify if and when to set a notification like "...notify 5 minutes before" or "...notify on time".

Thanks to jrfougere for posting this!
    My plan when I get home.....

Make Google SMS contact on my launcher using this....
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-required.html

Then view my calendar using this....
    http://bit.ly/mThRp

Now I can avoid using the slow built in calendar
    Now I wish we could SMS to two different calendars.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfougere View Post
    One of the great things about the Pre being able to sync with Google Calendar is that you can fully utilize all of Google Calendar's SMS features.

For example, if you're annoyed by all the steps it takes to add an event on the Pre's calendar (especially for events with strange durations/start dates such as 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday), you can just send an SMS to Google Calendar at 48368. Google calendar is pretty smart at creating events so you can even just type in "Dinner with Sarah 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday" and it will create an event for next Wednesday at the correct time. You don't even need to type in the :'s either.

This is also good for making quick tasks. Because the Pre's task program is pretty basic (cannot set task due dates for specific times, just days), I've resorted to making calendar appointments which last 0 minutes to mimic a task reminder. This is a lot easier to do using SMS than creating the event using the Pre's calendar.

Before you can send text messages to google calendar you will need to set up your cell phone by going to google calendar on your computer, clicking on Settings, then Mobile Settings.
    I am NOT receiving the verification from google calendars
    That is awesome
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfougere View Post
    One of the great things about the Pre being able to sync with Google Calendar is that you can fully utilize all of Google Calendar's SMS features.

For example, if you're annoyed by all the steps it takes to add an event on the Pre's calendar (especially for events with strange durations/start dates such as 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday), you can just send an SMS to Google Calendar at 48368. Google calendar is pretty smart at creating events so you can even just type in "Dinner with Sarah 7:15pm-8:34pm next Wednesday" and it will create an event for next Wednesday at the correct time. You don't even need to type in the :'s either.

This is also good for making quick tasks. Because the Pre's task program is pretty basic (cannot set task due dates for specific times, just days), I've resorted to making calendar appointments which last 0 minutes to mimic a task reminder. This is a lot easier to do using SMS than creating the event using the Pre's calendar.

Before you can send text messages to google calendar you will need to set up your cell phone by going to google calendar on your computer, clicking on Settings, then Mobile Settings.
    is there a charge for this service?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast