Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    There is no problem with simply reviewing the phone and sending it back, but if your sponsored (paid, free gear ect..) by a company can your review be considered impartial? Would the public think it is?

I am not saying that is what is happening in this case, I am saying that it has become a journalistic integrity problem that could be leading consumers to believe a review is impartial when in fact the "blogger" is being paid for that positive review. This is not exclusive to cellphones, its such an issue the FTC is looking into ways of expanding disclosure laws to include the blogosphere...
    Is this an area where the government needs to be stepping in though? It's not the airwaves, were the government "owns" them, this is the internet. I'm curious, how is a blogger getting a free device for review, or even receiving actual payment for a review, any different than an athlete (or any other celebrity) endorsing a product for money.

Don't get me wrong, I think think the right thing to do is for the blogger to reveal that they received the product for free, but I also think celebrity endorsements should also be more up front.

"Hi there, I'm Joe Jock, and I love these Greasy Dive hamburgers. I love them because they remind me of the ones from the cheapie greasy spoon when I was a kid, and I love them because Greasy Dive paid me $50,000 to say so. You'll love 'em too!"

"Oh, and you won't get the $50,000, sorry..."
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I think think the right thing to do is for the blogger to reveal that they received the product for free, but I also think celebrity endorsements should also be more up front.
    I just think that the "male enhancement" people should have to provide scientific proof of effectiveness. So much money wasted, so much hope lost...

wait, what?
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Is this an area where the government needs to be stepping in though? It's not the airwaves, were the government "owns" them, this is the internet. I'm curious, how is a blogger getting a free device for review, or even receiving actual payment for a review, any different than an athlete (or any other celebrity) endorsing a product for money.

"Hi there, I'm Joe Jock, and I love these Greasy Dive hamburgers. I love them because they remind me of the ones from the cheapie greasy spoon when I was a kid, and I love them because Greasy Dive paid me $50,000 to say so. You'll love 'em too!"

"Oh, and you won't get the $50,000, sorry..."
    Thats a great point, while I don't agree wholeheartedly that the government can do anything well, I do think that a simple signature at the end of a post relating the ties between the blogger and company can alleviate a-lot of questionable looking ethic positions. Similar I'd assume to the "paid endorsement" tags on the end of infomercials...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12