1.    #1  
    While I was at work today, I was in a somewhat rush to get from one side of the building to the other. I was also in the middle of texting a friend however. So, I'm shuffling across the building, get a text,and quickly pull my phone out, only to launch it 3 feet away from me. Of course, it hits the nice hard tile ground, which happened to be directly in front of about 8 stairs. The phone bounces down the stairs, hits the wall at the bottom, then bounces into the door. I've had cellphones for over three years now, and I have never dropped(let alone thrown) one before. I'm staring at my phone in shock, scared to even go over to it, because I know that there has got to be some huge consequence for dropping it. Finally I get the courage to go over to it. So I pick it up, and the first thing that I see? A little piece of plastic falls into my hand. Mostly worried about the screen, I tap the power button; everything looks good. So I give the phone the once over...and...I don't see anything. So I look again. This time I find the damage: a 1/16 inch or so piece of plastic came off the top left, leaving a somewhat nasty(but small) looking battle scar. For all the structure concerns people have, I would say my Pre has shown the signs of a true fighter.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    My "work Pre" (my on-call phone) took a nosedive off my desk this week and got a gouge out of it around the spot where the on/off button is. I figure I can just get one of those hard cases that snap around it to cover up the battle wounds.
    I work for Sprint in one of their corporate retail stores as one of our store's Lead Retail Consultants. If you have had your Palm Pre for less than 31 days, I would highly recommend adding Total Equipment Protection/TEP to your Sprint line as the currently deductible is only $100 and the cost per day for TEP is less than $0.25/day. I had a customer who purchased his Palm Pre the day it was officially launched and managed some how to drop his Palm Pre out the car window while driving on the interstate. Needless to say, he was able to watch in his rear view mirror as his Palm Pre became road salad after about 12 vehicles behind him rode over it. I want you people to picture this guy trying to crap a brick out the size of a quarter as I explained to him that the cost to replace his obviously physically damaged beyond economic repair/BER Palm Pre he had for barely two weeks was going to be $549.99 plus applicable sale tax and an $18 upgrade fee on top of that all because he had refused TEP even after being informed as well as educated about the features, advantages and benefits/FAB of having TEP on the Palm Pre. The saddest part in all this people is he had upgraded to the Palm Pre from Samsung Instinct/M800 and was given a $50 service credit for selling Sprint the Samsung Instinct/M800 as part of Sprint's Buy Back Program which resulted in the customer not having a spare Sprint handset. The upside of all this from my perspective is I gained a second upgrade from the customer as well as a commissionable feature when the customer agreed to add TEP to his new Palm Pre. The lession people is this, which would you rather pay, $0.25/day or $549.99 plus applicable sales tax plus a potential $18 upgrade fee? I think the answer is obvious.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarroll70 View Post
    I work for Sprint in one of their corporate retail stores as one of our store's Lead Retail Consultants. If you have had your Palm Pre for less than 31 days, I would highly recommend adding Total Equipment Protection/TEP to your Sprint line as the currently deductible is only $100 and the cost per day for TEP is less than $0.25/day. I had a customer who purchased his Palm Pre the day it was officially launched and managed some how to drop his Palm Pre out the car window while driving on the interstate. Needless to say, he was able to watch in his rear view mirror as his Palm Pre became road salad after about 12 vehicles behind him rode over it. I want you people to picture this guy trying to crap a brick out the size of a quarter as I explained to him that the cost to replace his obviously physically damaged beyond economic repair/BER Palm Pre he had for barely two weeks was going to be $549.99 plus applicable sale tax and an $18 upgrade fee on top of that all because he had refused TEP even after being informed as well as educated about the features, advantages and benefits/FAB of having TEP on the Palm Pre. The saddest part in all this people is he had upgraded to the Palm Pre from Samsung Instinct/M800 and was given a $50 service credit for selling Sprint the Samsung Instinct/M800 as part of Sprint's Buy Back Program which resulted in the customer not having a spare Sprint handset. The upside of all this from my perspective is I gained a second upgrade from the customer as well as a commissionable feature when the customer agreed to add TEP to his new Palm Pre. The lession people is this, which would you rather pay, $0.25/day or $549.99 plus applicable sales tax plus a potential $18 upgrade fee? I think the answer is obvious.
    One of many articles that would beg to differ:
    Top 10 reasons not to insure your cell phone (Page 1 of 2)
  5. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gigaorg View Post
    One of many articles that would beg to differ:
    Top 10 reasons not to insure your cell phone (Page 1 of 2)
    Good find but that article is dated Jan 2007 - before the advent of so many $549+ smartphones.
    I've got the TEP and pretty much always have. Used it twice last year -- once when my daughter dropped her phone on the ice while skating and then when she did the same thing while skating around and texting on *my* phone. Both times we got new phones same day at our Sprint corporate store.

However, that said, if I were the OP's road-killed pre customer I would have paid the ETF before I paid all the fees for a new pre. For goodness sake, the customer could have paid the ETF jumped to another carrier and gotten ANY other smartphone and saved money. Of course BEFORE doing that I would have put in a call to retentions and I'm pretty certain they would have worked out some sort of discount.

Sucka born every minute
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Yes wordweaver, the customer could pay the $200 ETF and jump to another wireless carrier, but look at it from a monthly cost perspective (before apllicable taxes) over just 1 year...

1. Sprint's Simply Everything is $99.99
    (first in the industry for unlimited voice, messaging and data services)

2. Verizon Wireless' Nationwide Premium Unlimited (includes unlimited voice, messaging and data) is $139.99. You'll end up paying $480 per year more with Verizon Wireless.

3. at&t's Nation Unlimited ($99.99) + the PDA Personal Bundle ($50 for unlimited messaging and data) + the at&t Navigator ($9.99 for their GPS/LBS service) is 159.98. You'll end up paying $719.88 per year more than with at&t.

Even if at&t were to give you the least expensive PDA/Smartphone in their retail store for a new line a service, currently the Apple iPhone 3G ($99.99) wordweaver, the $200 ETF from Sprint + the $1919.76 cost for the year's worth of at&t's service, the one time $36 at&t activation fee and the purchase price of the Apple iPhone 3 G of $99.99 comes up to $2255.75 before applicable taxes.

If my math services me correctly wordweaver, for 1 year of service, Sprint's $1199.88 is less than Verizon Wireless' $1679.88 and at&t's 1919.76.

We offer the most dependable network coverage, save you money with the best value in wireless and our Ready Now experience will make you an expert on any of our great products.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    thats funny..i dropped mine 3 feet onto asfault and got the gnarliest gash ive ever seen, ive dropped many a smartphone..even running and it flying out of my pouch and screen down on the pavement and somehow never seen damage like i have with my pre..i mean its not bad but its a good sized chunk out of the top corner and into the back of the slider..i say it is no champ..
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by paz00kie View Post
    thats funny..i dropped mine 3 feet onto asfault and got the gnarliest gash ive ever seen, ive dropped many a smartphone..even running and it flying out of my pouch and screen down on the pavement and somehow never seen damage like i have with my pre..i mean its not bad but its a good sized chunk out of the top corner and into the back of the slider..i say it is no champ..
    Maybe I'm just lucky? I don't know though. I mean, when I got my Pre, I threw my P.O.S Samsung Glyde about 8 stories in the air, and when it landed, it was completely crippled. What kind of build quality is that? :P

Oh, and I do have TEP. I believe anyways. I'm paying $7 a month insurance. The slight damage is nothing to return the phone for though.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    and why did you throw the glyde in the air?? lol just for kicks?
  11.    #11  
    If you haven't heard, the Glyde was a complete screw up. Everyone who had it had problems that made the phone almost unusable. Screen thought you were touching it...even if you weren't in the room, no accuracy, edges were impossible to touch, etc. I didn't get insurance on it because(besides my Pre incident) I've never had any kind of mishap with a phone. Even though every single Glyde had these problems, Verizon refused to replace it for another Glyde, give me a discount, or even just let me downgrade to their most basic phone. I was drooling over the Pre for a few weeks, and one day, my Glyde got worse. It was its' normal self when I went to sleep, woke up, and the hardware keyboard didn't work, and the screen refused to shut off. So the battery would die in 6 hours. The next day I went and got a Pre, and canceled Verizon. I've had so many problems with the Glyde over the last year, that I wanted to to make sure our departure was suitable.

I also put it back together when it hit the ground, ran over it, put it together again, then just threw it at the ground a few times. Who needs therapy, when there's so many more constructive things like this to do?
    I would love to see someone's Palm Pre survive falling out the window of a moving vehicle at approximately 55-75 mph and then have about another 10-12 vehicle run over it like the scenario I described about my customer.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I went for the Equipment Replacement Program.
    Phone Protection Solutions

Equipment Replacement Program
    Coverage for lost or stolen devices, as well as devices with liquid or physical damage.

* The fee for the program is $4 per phone, smartphone or mobile broadband card per month.
    * There is a $50 or $100 non-refundable deductible per approved claim depending on the device.
    * File your replacement request within 60 days of the loss, theft or damage.
    * You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months.
    * Replacement equipment may be the same or comparable equipment—like kind or quality—with similar features as your original equipment. Replacement may be refurbished, reconditioned or different from your original phone or mobile broadband card.
    * For full terms and conditions: Equipment Replacement Program Coverage Certificate.