Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    If so, I'm wondering if anyone has found any good workarounds for things like floating events, advances, repeating/nagging reminders, repeat-from-checkoff events, etc., etc.? Eager to hear your experiences?

    BTW, any DB(x) fans out there, please join me in BEGGING, BRIBING, and CAJOLING CESD to write a version for the Pre (yes I am aware of Pimlical, but really want DB(x) on my Pre).

    Thx!
    ME
    Last edited by OnePalmAddict; 07/10/2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Removed text.
    Mark A. Einersen
    HTC Evo 4G w/Seidio Innocase Active Limited Edition Case < Palm Pre < Palm Pixi (wife) < Palm Treo 755p < Palm Centro (wife) < pa1mOne Treo 650 < Palm Tungsten|E (wife) < Palm Tungsten|T3 w/Sena Case < Sony Clie NR70 < Palm m505 < Palm m105 (wife) < Palm Vx < Palm Pilot Professional w/2 MB upgrade < Palm Pilot Professional < Sharp Zaurus ZR-3500 < Casio Digital Diary SF-4000 < Casio Digital Diary SF-1000
  2. eharty's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #2  
    Nope, no workarounds that I have found.

    Pimlical would be great on the Pre although it doesn't sound like CESD is too interested in the Pre.
  3. #3  
    The lack of those things you mention are a big part of the reason I haven't bought a Pre. I rely far too much on Datebk to accept the limitations of the Pre's calendar. I hope someone builds a real business oriented calendar sooner or later.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4. #4  
    the palm os datebk is a lot better than webos calendar. That is one my biggest grips with the pre.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    the palm os datebk is a lot better than webos calendar. That is one my biggest grips with the pre.
    Oh boy do I disagree. DateBk6 is a great program but lets get real. Its a lot long in the tooth. It cant sync with google, and my work exchange calendar and keep those events separate. Not to mention it cant show me my facebook events. It can't even sync with the cloud. Lets face it Datebk6 is for the 1990's and webOS calendar is for today. Not to mention is still version 1.0. Its only going to get better.

    You have a choice, live in the past or live in today.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The lack of those things you mention are a big part of the reason I haven't bought a Pre. I rely far too much on Datebk to accept the limitations of the Pre's calendar. I hope someone builds a real business oriented calendar sooner or later.
    Same here. I ignored all the phone launches of the last several years, including the iphone and palm windows because I've been waiting for THE successor to the PalmOS platform that would allow seamless integration of my several years of DatebookPlus entries. I really counted on the Pre being IT.
    When the Pre finally lured me away, I was really shocked at just how much I rely on DatebookPlus, the PalmOS 'Find' feature, long battery life, copy/paste from emails and websites, local sync, memos, tasks, and so on.
    In this case, I guess I can truly say, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." I had to go "back" to a 755p, but, funny thing, when I went 'back" it didn't feel backwards at all.
    For my current needs, DatebookPlus and the PalmOs are more advanced than the Pre.
    But, I'm still holding out hope that Palm will get its act together and make a "palm-friendly" palm device.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
  7. fossill's Avatar
    Posts
    26 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #7  
    I have to say I am extremely happy with the palm pre's calendar. It works wonders for me, likely because my life, and work pretty much are run through google. I have 4 Gmail accounts, 3 personal, and one that is set up through our company through google. I LOVE the fact that I coordinate with 20+ people at work, calendars, email, contacts, and all of them are syncable straight back and forth, the changes are pretty much "push" fast, no refreshing, no dealing with having to figure out if someone is free, I just look. I manage a team of 26 people, and my job as a manager is to meet with them bi-weekly. I have them set their own meeting times, all of which are immediately added to my calendar, if it doesn't work, I just let them know, it's SO simple.

    I don't really know what I did before I got my Pre. I've had ZERO issues with slowing down, I have 20 calendars or more synced with mine, and I have 500+ contacts.

    To each their own I know I still use legacy software on my windows computer that really has better options, but it's just easier to live in the past, but in this case, there are just too many bonuses to moving forward.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

    You have a choice, live in the past or live in today.
    What choice do you have if WebOs organizing features are all weaker than PalmOs v1.0...
    Pre PIM's are simply primitive comparing to any '96 Pilot 1000 abilities.

    No categories, no out-of-the box desk sync solution... Just looking "2000".
    Not to mention any advanced features, as linking items, given by CESD great soft...

    PIM's are a basic if you work with a smartphone.

    I'm in France and hope the Pre will evolve quickly before 2010.

    I'll happily get stuck to my 680 by then.
    Last edited by Wayenberg; 07/12/2009 at 02:38 AM.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Oh boy do I disagree. DateBk6 is a great program but lets get real. Its a lot long in the tooth. It cant sync with google, and my work exchange calendar and keep those events separate.
    Thats great it works for you but for those that dont have/use twitter, facebook, google, or exchange the calendar is average a best. I don't see why palm couldn't have kept all the features of datebk and just added the synergy function.

    Heres hoping for an update.
  10. The Duck's Avatar
    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    #10  
    This might be a generation thing. Probably the older you are, the more you would use Datebk6 with all of it's icons and colors and alarms and time zone syncing. And the younger you are, then the new calendar with it's new wow. The cloud and google and facebook and twitter sync. In my needs,after being a DB6 user for a long time, the new calendar seems to be a little too stripped down. Yes I miss my old friend, but I do like some of the new stuff. Hopefully I if can integrate both of them for the short term. And wait for updates for the web os or third party apps. Then I would be a happy old duck.
  11. athene1071's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #11  
    The biggest thing I miss in WebOS' calendar versus DateBk6 is the month-view with the icons representing various activities. I live a pretty simple life, but knowing on any given day at a glance whether I have to be at work (variable schedule) or at my kid's swim practice or other kid's violin recital, was very easy with DateBk. Even using separate Google calendars for "categories", the month view doesn't differentiate at all, even to the extent that the regular PalmOS calendar did (with the blocks of color). Hoping they resolve this in some way, either via update or 3rd-party.

    I'm also not sure that "repeating events" works correctly, but it's extremely possible that's just user error
  12. eharty's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #12  
    In the absence of Datebk6 I am surviving with my business calendar in Outlook (syncing with PocketMirror) and personal calendars in Google. I am experimenting with Google tasks...they don't sync anywhere but it seems like a better option than the Pre's task app.

    I would be very surprised if Palm addressed the PIM apps with updates for anything other than bug fixes. The business user is just not their focus with the Pre.
  13. #13  
    I've been doing fine with a combination of Google Calendar, Remember the Milk, and a Gmail plug-in for RTM. I do miss seeing a list of floating events (which is how I usually handled my To Do list in Datebk) when I open the Calendar app on my Pre.
  14. #14  
    Long time lurker first time poster. As an early adopter I really like the Pre. However, It could use a more substantial calendar. Date Book was great.

    I loved being able to easily copy and paste dates and create categories.

    Google calendar is a nice start but it falls short compared to Date Book 6.

    I'm certain with time, we will have another option. We are only one month in to an entirely new OS.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post

    You have a choice, live in the past or live in today.
    Well, if the Pre is today, I'll live in the past, with a calendar I can search, alarms I can customize, floating appt's, and much, much more. Thank you very much.

    I don't need to synchronize a dozen different calendars and keep them separate. In fact, just the opposite. I need to synchronize multiple calendars and keep them ALL in sync, so whether I'm looking at my phone, my work PC, or my home PC, I'll see all my appointments in one place. THAT is synergy. My Treo enables me to do that. The Pre doesn't.

    If I'm at work, in front of my work computer, and want to see what's on tap for the weekend, it's all there in Outlook. I don't have to bring up a browser window to check google, or pull my phone out of my pocket, to check it. And if I'm at home, on my laptop, I can pull up Outlook (or Palm desktop, my choice) and ditto, it's all there.

    And, of course, it's all there on my Treo, too.

    With Synergy, it appears that the Pre is the ONLY place where I can view all my events in one place. That gives me fewer options, not more options. Add to (wait, make that subtract from) that the incredible lack of features and capabilities of the Pre calendar compared to Datebk, and it's clear that new isn't always better.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 07/12/2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  16. #16  
    One of the reasons that I have not given up my 680 is due to my reliance on Datebk6.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  17. #17  
    While I have been able to get by without DateBk6, I really really miss it. While CESD and MotionApps claim that DateBk will work on the Pre (just without some features), I have yet to see a good review on just how well DateBk6 really works on Classic, especially now that they've fixed the some of the bugs with the latest webOS and Classic updates. Is DateBk6 usable or should I wait before plunking down another $40 ($30 for Classic, $10 for DateBk6 Pre upgrade) just to keep my old calendar?
  18. eharty's Avatar
    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    780 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNoah View Post
    While I have been able to get by without DateBk6, I really really miss it. While CESD and MotionApps claim that DateBk will work on the Pre (just without some features), I have yet to see a good review on just how well DateBk6 really works on Classic, especially now that they've fixed the some of the bugs with the latest webOS and Classic updates. Is DateBk6 usable or should I wait before plunking down another $40 ($30 for Classic, $10 for DateBk6 Pre upgrade) just to keep my old calendar?
    I tried Classic and Datebk6 on the Pre for a few days and there were too many issues for me. Alarms were not reliable and the snooze alarm did not work at all. I also found it a bit of a challenge to hit the small boxes using a finger rather than a stylus. You can zoom to make it easier but after a few days I just found the whole thing a PITA.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Thats great it works for you but for those that dont have/use twitter, facebook, google, or exchange the calendar is average a best. I don't see why palm couldn't have kept all the features of datebk and just added the synergy function.

    Heres hoping for an update.
    Palm didn't write Datebk, and they don't own it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, if the Pre is today, I'll live in the past, with a calendar I can search, alarms I can customize, floating appt's, and much, much more. Thank you very much.

    I don't need to synchronize a dozen different calendars and keep them separate. In fact, just the opposite. I need to synchronize multiple calendars and keep them ALL in sync, so whether I'm looking at my phone, my work PC, or my home PC, I'll see all my appointments in one place. THAT is synergy. My Treo enables me to do that. The Pre doesn't.

    If I'm at work, in front of my work computer, and want to see what's on tap for the weekend, it's all there in Outlook. I don't have to bring up a browser window to check google, or pull my phone out of my pocket, to check it. And if I'm at home, on my laptop, I can pull up Outlook (or Palm desktop, my choice) and ditto, it's all there.

    And, of course, it's all there on my Treo, too.

    With Synergy, it appears that the Pre is the ONLY place where I can view all my events in one place. That gives me fewer options, not more options. Add to (wait, make that subtract from) that the incredible lack of features and capabilities of the Pre calendar compared to Datebk, and it's clear that new isn't always better.
    Sorry man, but you're comparing apples to oranges. In your example, they are all syncrhonized because you are only using two applications - Outlook and Palm's device. Does your scenario sycnronize any other calendars?

    By your measurement, my information is also all synchronized. It's all in Exchange, which puts it on Outlook at home, any computer that has a browser and internet access, and in my pocket.

    The calendar functions on the Pre do have some maturing to do, but your comparison reaches.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions