Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    dropped by the corp sprint store, 29th day in use. told them about the 3 to 4 times the device had turned itself off and next thing I know they are trading out the phone for the last pre they have left in the store. gave me the new box (mine was at home) so now have two wall chargers. did not give it any thought until after I got home and then realized my 'new' pre is twice the oreo affect my 1st one had. now my 1st device was ok I felt so far as the twist distance angle it moved but this new one is twice that amount (to the point that when twisted (without really pressure) one can just begin to see metal inside on what would be the top left part of the 2nd half of the shell design.

so just wondering...
    if a new pre is not suppose to have any twist until we start using it a bit why would a 'new' out of the box unit have sooo much flex? something just does not seem right with this picture.

did not know sprint was offering replacement batteries when I took mine in else I would have asked about that option since (outside of resets I was happy with the unit and amount of twist affect it had).
  2.    #2  
    hum...views but no replies. anyway, dropped back at sprint store and they looked it over and felt it was still acceptable as is so guess as long as it works fine without any issues I will live with it but seems build quality is bad on this slider design that palm came out with that would allow for that much play.
    Quote Originally Posted by motor View Post
    hum...views but no replies. anyway, dropped back at sprint store and they looked it over and felt it was still acceptable as is so guess as long as it works fine without any issues I will live with it but seems build quality is bad on this slider design that palm came out with that would allow for that much play.
    This is basically the sad state of all the "newer" pre's. Mine has a moderate oreo twist as well, my first did not. It also had a faulty 3.5mm jack and dead pixels though. My second one had an identical oreo effect as my third, but had dead pixels and terrible scratching going on with the keyboard. The minor oreo twist on my pre is okay for me now, as I have NO other issues with this one. Not even a stuck or dead pixel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkims View Post
    This is basically the sad state of all the "newer" pre's. Mine has a moderate oreo twist as well, my first did not. It also had a faulty 3.5mm jack and dead pixels though. My second one had an identical oreo effect as my third, but had dead pixels and terrible scratching going on with the keyboard. The minor oreo twist on my pre is okay for me now, as I have NO other issues with this one. Not even a stuck or dead pixel.
    Uh, not sure I would say that the problem affects only the "newer" pres. First off -- they're all new. But, secondly, my pre is several weeks outta the box and has the dreaded, god aweful oreo condition. It is the ONLY thing about my pre's hardware that I HATE, HATE, HATE. Have I mentioned that I HATE the twisting?

I stopped by a Sprint Corporate store after 4 days with my pre. After checking six brand new out of the box devices and finding their twisting was worse than the twisting on my device, I decided to wait for an exchange. I'm headed back in this week to try again as I am still within my 30 days.

As far as Sprint reps telling the OP that her mega twisting new pre is normal... I wouldn't take that answer. Because, it is NOT normal. There are plenty of pres out there sans the major twist.

I would demand they replace it. And if you cannot get help from Sprint at the store level -- ask for the name and phone number of their District Manager and also the Corporate Headquaters. You'll get a new pre.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Definitely do not settle for your phone with the "oreo effect". I took my phone to the Sprint store and told them about the sliding of the screen. The manager of the store was being a punk and wouldn't come out to talk to me since I was requesting that they give me a new one. A tech came out and told me that since it was a "cosmetic" problem, it did not affect the functionality of the phone, however, they were willing to exchange it for a $35 fee! I was not going to pay for a defect and left the store. Called good ole *2 on my phone and told them about the fee and they were extremely helpful! They credited my account for $35 and i was able to get a brand new phone! I could have probably lived with the sliding, but it wasn't acceptable condition for being a new phone. BTW: when talking to the reps, just be very nice and they will definitely help!!!
    Be sure to check your phone before you leave the store..check for keyboard lighting, dead pixels, keyboard sliding and screen sliding, and view the video that comes with the pre so u can test the sound and display...i did this before i left with my new phone and it's PERFECT..well, so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by yaders7 View Post
    Definitely do not settle for your phone with the "oreo effect". I took my phone to the Sprint store and told them about the sliding of the screen. The manager of the store was being a punk and wouldn't come out to talk to me since I was requesting that they give me a new one. A tech came out and told me that since it was a "cosmetic" problem, it did not affect the functionality of the phone, however, they were willing to exchange it for a $35 fee! I was not going to pay for a defect and left the store. Called good ole *2 on my phone and told them about the fee and they were extremely helpful! They credited my account for $35 and i was able to get a brand new phone! I could have probably lived with the sliding, but it wasn't acceptable condition for being a new phone. BTW: when talking to the reps, just be very nice and they will definitely help!!!
    Be sure to check your phone before you leave the store..check for keyboard lighting, dead pixels, keyboard sliding and screen sliding, and view the video that comes with the pre so u can test the sound and display...i did this before i left with my new phone and it's PERFECT..well, so far!
    I'm so glad that you got a great replacement for your defective unit -- it gives me hope

By the way, when you say "PERFECT," how perfect are we talkin'? Is there ANY side to side play? I'm just really curious, because so many people have said they have a "rock solid" pre and after living with the oreo affect for so long, I just cannot picture a rock solid slider on the pre.

Now, my kid has a RANT and that phone has a rock solid slider. But with the pre, I imagine, that all of them suffer from some degree of wobble. Does yours?
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Yes, there is hope I mean what a great phone! Actually, my phone is pretty rock solid..honestly, it just has the slightest sliding effect needed to move the screen and I really have to work at it to make it move. Trust me, my brother, fiance and I all got the Pre's when they came out and their Pre's are quite solid....if u can notice the sliding, definitely take it back! Yea, I know what u mean about getting used to the oreo effect, but u will feel the difference on a new one..but be sure to try them out before you leave the sprint store. I was really debating whether to take my pre in and exchanging it, worrying only about getting a worse one but I am seriously glad i took it in...u will too
    Wordweaver I just wanted to let u know not to worry about the 30 days on the phone! I got mine after the 30 days because like i said, i was really debating whether to take it back or not...BUT since it technically is a manufacturers defect...they have to honor the one year warranty! Just call *2, be very NICE to them and make sure to tell them that this is not the 1st time u have had issues and they will help!
    Quote Originally Posted by yaders7 View Post
    Yes, there is hope I mean what a great phone! Actually, my phone is pretty rock solid..honestly, it just has the slightest sliding effect needed to move the screen and I really have to work at it to make it move. Trust me, my brother, fiance and I all got the Pre's when they came out and their Pre's are quite solid....if u can notice the sliding, definitely take it back! Yea, I know what u mean about getting used to the oreo effect, but u will feel the difference on a new one..but be sure to try them out before you leave the sprint store. I was really debating whether to take my pre in and exchanging it, worrying only about getting a worse one but I am seriously glad i took it in...u will too
    Awesome! Now I am actually *excited* about the possibility of finding a pre without the wobble!!! Thanks
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Although I find the oreo effect unacceptable, I'm wondering if the "problem" is caused by the way people are using their devices, as in how they're sliding them open or closed?
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i think even the 'rock solid' ones have a very small amount of wiggle to them....

mine will only move left and right if i really force it (which is not something i plan on doing regularly.....lol)
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishous View Post
    Although I find the oreo effect unacceptable, I'm wondering if the "problem" is caused by the way people are using their devices, as in how they're sliding them open or closed?
    Uh, NOOOO. I'm extremely easy on my phone. Besides, the "oreo" thing happens with the slider CLOSED. When the slider is open there is no problem. It is rock solid. However the oreo affect gets in the way of the way that one is supposed to use the device. For example, when I gesture... the whole screen skates to the side with the gesture. And, very often, when I aim for the power button... I can't get to it because it has been *buried* (or covered) by the screen which has meandered over it!

And on top of all of THAT, we opened six brand new pres at the Sprint Corporate store and ALL of those unused phones had a waaaay worse wobble than my phone (at the time, my phone has gotten progressively WORSE).

I swear this whole train of thought that somehow the DEFECTIVE sliders are caused by user error is really starting to burn me. For pete's sake -- EVEN Dieter Bohn had the issue with one of his pres. I doubt very much that HE caused it!
    Sorry folks - user error is not a primary factor here. I have had, at least, 5 sliders manufactured by HTC and I am fairly careful, but hard on my phones. Not ONE of those phones developed or had any type of slide issue. They all functioned the way they did upon purchase, no oreo, the exact way on the day I purchased them... so, if this is an issue on your Pre, it's definitely quality control and probably and early manufacturer error. I would NOT accept less than perfect for this phone - regardless of what we paid - as most of us are stuck in a two year contract...
    Lee Ladisky
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm on my 3rd Pre.

The 1st (launch day black box) had no twist, but the center button died.

The 2nd (yellow/white box) had the twist and it was unacceptable. 3 Sprint stores refused to replace it, so I did a straigt up return and bought a 3rd one from Best Buy a week later.

The 3rd (yellow/white box) has no twist, just like the 1st. I'm VERY happy with it.

Based on my experiences and those I've read on this forum, I believe there really WAS a run of Pre's with loose sliders, and that it might be fixed now on the newer, July-made Pre's.

See this thread for some info to support this theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by aglide View Post
    I'm on my 3rd Pre.

The 1st (launch day black box) had no twist, but the center button died.

The 2nd (yellow/white box) had the twist and it was unacceptable. 3 Sprint stores refused to replace it, so I did a straigt up return and bought a 3rd one from Best Buy a week later.

The 3rd (yellow/white box) has no twist, just like the 1st. I'm VERY happy with it.

Based on my experiences and those I've read on this forum, I believe there really WAS a run of Pre's with loose sliders, and that it might be fixed now on the newer, July-made Pre's.

See this thread for some info to support this theory.
    I would say that there are for sure a run of Pre's with loose sliders and by the Gods I sure hope I can find one that isn't loose! It really is becoming a deal breaker for me. Today, as I brought my kitten to the vet, I reached for my phone (in the little sleeping bag case) and it slid so badly to the left on the bottom that the PHONE GOT STUCK IN THE CASE!

I couldn't get it out of the case until I squeezed the sides back together to a "normal" position. THIS is not okay. It just isn't.

I plan to head to my Sprint Corporate store sometime on Monday with wobbly pre in hand. It will either a be an exchange or a RETURN at this point. I can't take the sliding slider any more.

Oh, and earlier I was using the pre in landscape and tried to use the gesture area to navigate the webpage. Would have worked if the screen didn't move with every single swipe I made --- making it IMPOSSIBLE to use the device.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I traded my orignal pre this week for a new one. If you are having ANY issues with your phone, I suggest you do the same. My phone had loose slider, slight oreo, "hollow" keyboard, missing pixels, etc. Got the new phone out of the box this week .... perfect!! I couldn't be happier, really. good luck!
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    what is the "oreo effect"?
    I've looked at the hardware of the Pre very closely and have developed a tutorial on how to fix the loose slider (in my signature). However, I think that your problem is that the two claws that connect to the bar that is used slide it, are bent apart in a slight v shape to allow such oreo affects. I would really like it is I could get a simple video or pictures (with it's back and battery taken out) of the back so I can see what is wrong with it. If I'm right I think you maybe able to fix this easily. Hope I can help you!!!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Can't you just tell them that the oreo effect is affecting the gesturing of the phone? Like, it slides when you're doing a backswipe, especially the backswipe. They can't say it's a cosmetic damage then and will definite, affect phone usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    what is the "oreo effect"?
    It's where the top half of the phone twists (usually when the slider is closed) from the bottom half clockwise or counter clockwise. Kind of like how you would twist apart an oreo to get at the frosting without breaking the cookie.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast