1.    #1  
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/16822...real_life.html
    Apple iPhone 3GS vs. Palm Pre: In Real Life
    Darren Gladstone, PC World
    Last edited by Mannyman; 07/10/2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Nice find. Thx
    Your link is to page 2 of the article. Here is the link for page 1:

Apple iPhone 3GS vs. Palm Pre: In Real Life - PC World

Interesting that the reviewer has some of the complaints about the phone that everyone else has, such as the battery life. For the life of me I can't see how he found so many negatives about a phone and still made it his choice. Oh, well.....

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4.    #4  
    Interesting that the reviewer has some of the complaints about the phone that everyone else has, such as the battery life. For the life of me I can't see how he found so many negatives about a phone and still made it his choice. Oh, well.....
    I guess for some of us it's all about the keyboard and phone rates....
    Yesh even with the negatives, you just can't compete with this awesome keyboard I'm typing on, with usb drive mode, and with glorious multitasking!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    in 6 months the Pre will be better than Iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    in 6 months the Pre will be better than Iphone.
    Or darned close to it. I love the way the iPhanboi's scratch desperately around here trying to dawg the pre. Seems like they're starting the sweat the idea of having competition. And they should
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Im of the thought that the Pre is already better, having only used an iPhone, but owning a Pre. I'm not implying that I dislike the iPhone or think its anything but epic... Its just to me, the Pre is simply better. Linux is my OS of choice, Multitasking is something that is important to me, and the hardware in the Pre is nearly the same as the iPhone. To me, the iPhone is a locked box and the Pre is just a more open & evolved experience.
    Also, just putting it out there, but I run Windows XP64, Windows 7, Debian Linux, and we have a MacBook in the household. I say this, to at least attempt to make a claim, that Im open to all operating environments, and I give the Pre perks not because its "Not an Apple Device" but rather because its actually earned them.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Man, this guy nailed exactly how I am feeling and why I am keeping my Pre over a new 3Gs.
    even if the Iphone was better. There is a large number of people, my self included, that hates things that are "in" when everyone and their mama has one
    But, for my particular use and choices in usage, the Pre is wayyyyy better
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Or darned close to it. I love the way the iPhanboi's scratch desperately around here trying to dawg the pre. Seems like they're starting the sweat the idea of having competition. And they should
    I'm sorry but this makes no sense. I can't wait for decent competition. It's only going to make both companies better and promote even further innovation. Competition is good.
    SCH-A890 --> VX 9800 "V" --> VX 9900 "enV" --> Blackberry 8330 --> iPhone 3G --> Palm Pre --> iPhone 3GS
    That's an awesome read and seems much more down to earth than most comparison reviews. I like how it wasn't colored through Ipuke fanboy glasses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynd View Post
    I'm sorry but this makes no sense. I can't wait for decent competition. It's only going to make both companies better and promote even further innovation. Competition is good.
    Sorry, guess the amount of iPhanboi posts on this forum that insist that there is NO competition for the iPhone, especially NOT from the pre has left the impression that the little iPhanz are somewhat threatened by the pre.

Just an observation. And I am glad that you welcome competition. It is, after all, the ONLY way that Apple might finally feel compelled to unshackle the iPhone from wretched AT&T. Good luck on that end
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    As a user that had a Iphone for 2 years, heavily looked at the GS but stuck with my Pre I think the whole Pre Vs Iphone fanboi thing is a bit ridiculous. Especially considering both phones are nice devices.

One thing is very clear, the pre is a 1.0 device and its software acts like it. Which is why you see the amount of complaining and comparisons you do. IF palm can get things working properly they will have a HUGE winner and the pre can become a very serious contender to the Iphone. Right now though I'd argue its more of a work in progress, similar to how Android was prior to cupcake.

The Pre is still 4 or 5 fairly major updates away from being a serious contender right now IMO. Sure the die hards and people that want "anything but an Iphone" love it and know the potential is there but that is only going to get Palm so far in the normal market.

Part of Apple's success with the Iphone is that it does what it does well and fast. Palm has the basics there, they just need to seriously expand the options and get things to speed up OS wise (scrolling, checkerboarding and general app speed) and it will be game on.

The ball is in Palm's court. If they pull an Apple and make users wait for a year before they see major improvements they WILL FAIL. If they get some good updates, not the simple crap we have seen in the past month but actual updates with features and serious improvements to the user experience then they WILL SURVIVE and THRIVE.
    I'm a fraction of the way through the article and I've found two errors. First of all, there are multiple "Everything" plans at Sprint - the lowest of which is less than $100, not AT $100. Or maybe he meant "tops out" in a different way.

Oh well.

He also said that the 3GS was faster. Then he substantiated the point by comparing how quickly the iPhone loaded the mobile version of a site while the Pre loaded the full version. That's ridiculous - and probably due to the fact that sites probably can smell the iPhone browser and identify it as such, while the Pre's browser is still on breast milk.

If the Pre loaded the full version of the site only a few seconds after the iPhone finished the mobile version, that sounds like a Pre win, to me.

The first point may be debatable, but that last one seems clear enough.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I took the top out at $100, i.e. you can get everything for only $100. Most would be fine with the $70 solo plan.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    PC World also named Sprint most reliable 3G network. If true, sounds like Pre owners got a twofer.