Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There was once a company who helped pioneer a new type product that opened a multibillion dollar technology industry. That company became the undisputed leader of that explosive industry for many years.

Then, through bad management decisions the company lost their edge and fell far behind the technology curve; their competitors released superior products and eventually claimed most of the company's original market. The original company was forgotten and left for dead.

Years later the pioneering company announced a new 3-letter product. Details emerged, and many industry leaders, enthusiasts, and fan-boys laughed they argued the 3-letter product was still technically behind the competition.

There were also thousands of applications available on the competing platforms and, except for the ability to run emulated older apps, almost none for the 3-letter product. The company was a has-been; their new 3-letter product was too little, too late.

The company argued however, that their product would be less expensive than the competition. Moreover the company said the industry enthusiasts were not their target market at all; their 3-letter product was designed for "the rest of us".

So finally the company released its new platform into a skeptical industry and the laughing stopped.

The 3 letter product? No, its not the Pre (but I think its on the same course). The Nintendo Wii.
    I like. Thanks!
    I came in here to yell at you... then I read the whole post.

Umm... carry on
    The Wii is terrible
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    nintendo was never dying. lol
    Wow, nice analogy (if I can call it that)! Palm was arrogant when talk of Apple getting into smartphone market started. Now we have come full circle. Really nice to see competition - great for everyone.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    wrong forum dude
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    The Wii is terrible
    i'd agree, but it's making a buttload of money for Nintendo, isn't it?
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Is this why the Pre was originally scheduled to come out in white?
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'd like the Wii more if 95% weren't geared for grade school age kids.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    The Wii has better build quality out of the Gate and of course its aimed at school children. I therefore call fallacy on the logic of it all!
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Hmmm... so maybe this should be called the "Prii".
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Nice story but a bit incorrect. Even though nintendo was losing the console wars they were still widely successful on the handheld front and their pokemon franchise. Hardly a dying company. Palm on the other hand only has webos.
    I think the wii's controller is hard to work for most games over 13 years of age, any type of game like halo and stuff is better off on the remote, unless they can get the accuracy knocked up a few notches. I think Nintendo has pioneered much of the gaming industry and has a few great minds behind it. What they need to do is mold the casual gamer and hard core gamer together to really get something kicked off. I think after the next gen though graphics will start to slow down as full 1080p processing should be on all units and a standard, it'll be some time before anything higer res comes out, yes better graphics will still emerge but all should be about equal then. 480i has been out on tv's for probably 20 -30 years and it took consoles till a few years ago to catch up, no in 5 years or so they've caught up to 1080p, i think the next break through will be ease of programming and that's where Microsoft is strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett.g View Post
    i came in here to yell at you... Then i read the whole post.

Umm... Carry on
    +1 rofl
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I thought the 3-letter product was going to be "Mac."
    Quote Originally Posted by JonHigh View Post
    There was once a company who helped pioneer a new type product that opened a multibillion dollar technology industry. That company became the undisputed leader of that explosive industry for many years.

Then, through bad management decisions the company lost their edge and fell far behind the technology curve; their competitors released superior products and eventually claimed most of the company's original market. The original company was forgotten and left for dead.

Years later the pioneering company announced a new 3-letter product. Details emerged, and many industry leaders, enthusiasts, and fan-boys laughed – they argued the 3-letter product was still technically behind the competition.

There were also thousands of applications available on the competing platforms – and, except for the ability to run emulated older apps, almost none for the 3-letter product. The company was a has-been; their new 3-letter product was too little, too late.

The company argued however, that their product would be less expensive than the competition. Moreover the company said the industry enthusiasts were not their target market at all; their 3-letter product was designed for "the rest of us".

So finally the company released its new platform into a skeptical industry – and the laughing stopped.

The 3 letter product? No, it’s not the Pre (but I think it’s on the same course). The Nintendo Wii.
    And this thread was started on the Pre forum because of a three word excuse:
    Fan Boy Troll
    Your jealousy is so unbecoming.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    And this thread was started on the Pre forum because of a three word excuse:
    Fan Boy Troll
    Your jealousy is so unbecoming.
    Did you read the entire post?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    Hmmm... so maybe this should be called the "Prii".
    Imagine the commercial: "Prii would like to play" lol
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Did you read the entire post?
    Oh yeah. Again, the purpose was to stir the masses. Ironically, it was also innacurate. Nintendo hardly "pioneered" anything, but doesn't matter. If it wasn't about the Pre, it didn't belong here. Yet he put it here, so the intent should be pretty obvious.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast