Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by antiphon View Post
    I agree with this. If you have the web browser multi-mod installed, compare how slow scrolling is compared to doing a Page Down command (spacebar). Performing a Page Down has absolutely no lag, even though it is loading more information at one time.
    Yep its instant with the spacebar command.

I can't stand how no matter what you cant scroll from the start without it jumping a few lines of text. It can scroll smoothly... once you have already started scrolling.
    I recently picked up a Palm Pre Plus and noticed the scrolling is definitely not as smooth as an ipod/iphone. I personally think it has something to do with the way apple renders graphics. I say this because one of the first times I used a MAC I realized the mouse pointer was incredibly smooth and not choppy, when moving it across the screen. On the other hand, in a PC running windows for instance, when you move the mouse, you can see what I mean by "choppy" - it's movement is just not very smooth and has slight trailing / spottiness and such (and no I don't have mouse trailer on in windows). With the apple mouse, moving it leaves no trailing and is very crisp.

Another example you could use is a marquee. It's the difference between seeing the letters jump to the next pixel as opposed to what might appear as "moving" to the next pixel. I guess it's rather hard to explain. I enjoy the Pre very much, but wish the scrolling were much smoother. There is a significant difference when using the iPod and the Pre. I wish Ron and the folks at Palm actually did pick up an iPod and used it so they could see how crisp it is.
    the problem I see is after using a ipod. The menu scrolling is so smooth as if there was a higher frame rate. If any of you noticed any scrolling gesture always takes like half a second to register, on a pod or iphone it reconizes your finger instantly. Even the double tap to zoom is way smoother frame rate wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    the problem I see is after using a ipod. The menu scrolling is so smooth as if there was a higher frame rate. If any of you noticed any scrolling gesture always takes like half a second to register, on a pod or iphone it reconizes your finger instantly. Even the double tap to zoom is way smoother frame rate wise.
    Palm definitely needs to optimize performance in webOS. However, the pause you mention in scrolling is actually built in; it's a part of an industry-standard spec (can't remember which toolset), and Palm has indicated that they're going to change it. The pause is intended to avoid accidental button pushes when you really want to scroll.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    see I thought the pause had something to with that but they can raise the frame rate a little mabye. But can they have it so there is no pause like apple

Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm definitely needs to optimize performance in webOS. However, the pause you mention in scrolling is actually built in; it's a part of an industry-standard spec (can't remember which toolset), and Palm has indicated that they're going to change it. The pause is intended to avoid accidental button pushes when you really want to scroll.
    aside from the pause (I'm actually ok with that), I'm more disturbed by the fact that it doesn't scroll large docs or even my contacts....
    Quote Originally Posted by semahjiscool View Post
    see I thought the pause had something to with that but they can raise the frame rate a little mabye. But can they have it so there is no pause like apple
    They could, and I think they might.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    aside from the pause (I'm actually ok with that), I'm more disturbed by the fact that it doesn't scroll large docs or even my contacts....
    Doesn't scroll at all, or just not smoothly?
    They could, and I think they might.
    Any chance you're a member of the early access dev program, wynand32?
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Any chance you're a member of the early access dev program, wynand32?
    I wish, but no. My info comes from another thread that discussed the same topic, and I think the poster was a dev who was revealing non-NDS info.
    Doesn't scroll at all, or just not smoothly?
    not smoothly... not even in the slightest. Because it's so choppy, it actually looks like it's jumping all over the place, until it begins to go really slow and then you can sort of tell it's scrolling. but even slow it's choppy....
    Being a previous iPhone owner this is definitely something that I noticed right off the bat, but I honestly think this is just something the iPhone/iPod has an upper hand on. I've also used the HTC Hero to some extent and it has these exact same issues. For me it hasn't really been intrusive, but definitely noticeable. For any phone to become a serious competitor to the iPhone I think this will have to be addressed. The fluidness of the iPhone makes it feel very natural, and this has certainly won over many users.

I'm with you all, hopefully this is something that will be improved over time with software upgrades. And if not... Pre 2!
    I wish, but no. My info comes from another thread that discussed the same topic, and I think the poster was a dev who was revealing non-NDS info.
    link to other thread? :P
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Isn't this primarily related to the fact the pre doesn't tap the GPU for 2D acceleration? Since the UI is basically built on webstandards and they haven't accelerated it at all I'm not that surprised. They really should though, the polish that a silky smooth scroll gives a phone is legit.
    I couldn't agree more - there's something to be said about a very smooth and polished scroll....
    It's not just the scrolling. The animations still lag in 1.3.5.1 too. Windows coming up and leaving...you still see frame rate drops that make them look choppy, etc.

I think of all of the current Cortex ARM8 phones (iPhone 3GS, Pre, Droid), the Pre is still the roughest around the edges when it comes to UI fluidity and smoothness. I hope to see it addressed in 1.4, but if not then, I expect Palm will simply throw more robust hardware at the problem with their next WebOS model like HTC did with the HD2 and Windows Mobile.
    so I just posted this on the Palm.com forum in hopes that the developers see it and hopefully do something to fix it, but I think this definitely has to do with caching or memory somehow, here's why:

If I quickly scroll through my contacts to the end of the list (I now have nearly 900 contacts), the scrolling just doesn't keep up. (yes, I understand I can type the name for it to appear, however, testing this out revealed another bug which caused me to wonder if this is a bigger issue with the choppy scrolling issue we are seeing)

When I was scrolling through the first 100 or so names, very quickly, the Palm Pre Plus displayed the message "Loading..." I had to wait until it was finished loading more contacts and then continued scrolling again. This happened a number of times before I reached the end. Once I reached the end, I clicked on the "Add New" button (by accident), and although it launched the "add a new contact form" successfully, when I closed out of it and returned back to my contacts, all contacts had the title "[No Name Available]" instead of the contact names. I tried to take a screenshot, but when I did, the screen went all white and I couldn't get it back. The only way to fix it was to close the contacts app and reopen it again.
    i just wish for it to be as fluid as the ipod/iphone if you evered use one it dosent follow ur finger its always right under it, the pre has to follow your finger it always like a half sec behind if that makes any sence.and its not as smooth frame rate wise. Just go watch an ipod/iphone vid on youtube.
    I made a thread about this and got flamed. This too is my biggest issue with this phone. That and touch accuracy/sensitivity. After using a 3GS my phone feels like a toy...
    I just never REALLY feel I can get work done..not with the lag and "too many cards" errors.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123