Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I totally agree with the OP. Palm's TV ads for the Pre border on false-advertising. The Pre's in the commercials suffer absolutely no scroll lag/stutter. I wonder how many "takes" it took them to achieve these shots?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Auberon I wouldnt go that far and say that. All other cellphone commercials computer generate their OS it just looks better. Like all food commercials use Clay food. You know why the pdf and the doc viewer scrolls the best? It is cached and loads the whole thing! Like I said that is what I think will solve the scrolling issue.
    I'd be surprised if it's a caching issue. Most webpages aren't more than a few hundred kilobytes, and when you pinch in to zoom out the whole page immediately appears. It seems to me more of an inefficient scrolling algorithm which will hopefully be easily corrected or at least improved.
    I do like the smoothness of youtube on the Pre... The Pre Sprint TV is decent enough, and it depends on the network connection alot.

If anyone finds a Cellular Networks TV to be flawless, let me know... You won't!
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    I'd be surprised if it's a caching issue. Most webpages aren't more than a few hundred kilobytes, and when you pinch in to zoom out the whole page immediately appears. It seems to me more of an inefficient scrolling algorithm which will hopefully be easily corrected or at least improved.
    Thats a good point. maybe you are right. I just notice like someone said in this post. That the doc viewer and the pdf viewer are pretty much the only two that scroll without that lil lockup. What if the phone is only loading 10kb of the 1000 and then instead of slowly loading it it only keeps 10 kb at a time(since you cant see everything anyway why have it pre loaded). The contacts says loading sometimes now but locks up on the way up or down every 2 seconds. Thank goodness you have universal search. Because of that feature you dont do much scrolling.

I think you might be correct on that theory Aub
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I can second this.

I'm going to have to recompile the kernel with the timer frequency set at 1000Hz to see how much that helps. I have no idea why any device that is supposed to have decent interactive performance would have CONFIG_HZ set to only 100Hz.
    Maybe due to heat issues.
    Hm, I don't own a Pre but two of my good friends do. The only lag i've really noticed was in the Launcher screen itself. After you bring it up its almost like it takes a second to realize that you are trying to scroll. Then once you do, it works fine.

Everything else i've tried seemed to work fine as well.

::shrugs::
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    There is definetly some lag. especially in the phone app.... Its not unbearable unless you are trying to scroll in the phone app at missed calls
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I can second this.

I'm going to have to recompile the kernel with the timer frequency set at 1000Hz to see how much that helps. I have no idea why any device that is supposed to have decent interactive performance would have CONFIG_HZ set to only 100Hz.
    @clipcarl - so did you try this yet? just curios.

Also - note following:

Pre Launcher bar (the one you can flick up while your app is running fullscreen) moves far smoother than anything else. This is as smooth as list scrolling on iPhone. (so there is some hope for Pre I'd say)

On the other hand, after seeing how "analog" iPhone scrolling is - I can now see lagging issues when scrolling web pages on my PC - even Win7 UI performance optimized...
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    any progress on fixing this? id like pages to scroll exactly with my finger rather than move my finger and have the page catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Do you think future updates on the OS will solve this lag problem? Or is it dependent on the processor speed?
    Notice that this was written in JULY, and we still have the same problems at the end of November.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Notice that this was written in JULY, and we still have the same problems at the end of November.
    I started reading this thread on the mobile site not realizing it was from July. Palm HAS made some improvements IMO, but they still have a ways to go, especially with all the NEW bugs 1.3.1 has introduced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    I agree with this. If you have the web browser multi-mod installed, compare how slow scrolling is compared to doing a Page Down command (spacebar). Performing a Page Down has absolutely no lag, even though it is loading more information at one time.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Well now we knows the issue is due to the GPU not being used. Once Palm gets it on and running our lag problems should subside. Some optimization is always welcome too.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Do you think future updates on the OS will solve this lag problem? Or is it dependent on the processor speed?
    1.2.1 was much less laggy, allowed more apps open at the same time than 1.3.1. i believe its a software issue and hope it can be addressed.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    1.2.1 was much less laggy, allowed more apps open at the same time than 1.3.1. i believe its a software issue and hope it can be addressed.
    Of course software optimizations could help out, having the GPU enabled is what we really need to achieve spiritual enlightenment... Or a Pre's and Pixi's running just right.

Palm hiring the guy from DAAMIT (ATiAMD for the non-Inq readers) is a step in the right direction. Hopefully well see this in the next update and hopefully that's in December.. Wishful thinking.
    Smart Reflex 600 patch plus the "too many cards" memory patches and my Pre scrolls smooth with minimal hiccups.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Smart Reflex 600 patch plus the "too many cards" memory patches and my Pre scrolls smooth with minimal hiccups.
    I had the SmartReflex 600 and while I agree it helped out, things could have been better. Much better in fact. But we should take it as a sign of things to come.
    My phone doesn't seem to be as fluid as the iPhone but there is very little stuttering or lag.

It was noticeable before 1.3.1 but now? It's much smoother and snappy.

It'll get better with time I am sure.
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Hopefully it will get better. The iPhone was also seriously laggy when OS 2.0 came out if people recall and only got fixed in 2.1.2 i think...so its just a matter of optimizing and getting the GPU pipeline going
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast