Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I purchased my Pre on Wen. 7/8 and was loving it..... Until today. I took the Pre off of my touchstone @ 7AM this morning. I did a check of the traffic with Google maps and a 30 second call. I then worked on cleaning up my phone book (windows mobile transfer and Google sync really made a mess) from 9AM to 11:30AM. By 11:30AM I had 16% battery left. Does this sound normal for what I would think would be minimal use for 2.5 hours? Any help is appreciated.
    Depending on what you were doing with your phone book, it could have caused excessive Synergy-syncing and that might have caused a huge drain.
    Mobi·gas·mic!
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulugirl896 View Post
    Depending on what you were doing with your phone book, it could have caused excessive Synergy-syncing and that might have caused a huge drain.
    That might have been it. I was deleting contact and combining "profiles". What is really weird is at lunchtime I took the phone to my car charger and the phone would not charge. But the car charger itself was lighting up. The charger was tested to be working when I was using it the first day with the pre.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Shouldn't have drained it that bad. As suggested on other thread, have wifi in conjunction with your 3G. Make sure you have the most updated firmware, and I don't know about the touch stone and how well it charges. I've heard it has a very slow charge and its mostly for aesthetics...
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Shouldn't have drained it that bad. As suggested on other thread, have wifi in conjunction with your 3G. Make sure you have the most updated firmware, and I don't know about the touch stone and how well it charges. I've heard it has a very slow charge and its mostly for aesthetics...
    so run wifi even though I dont have a network to connect to? And the touchstone charge was an over night charge all the way to 100%.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    now when I try to turn it on I get a picture of a power cord and a question mark.... I have no idea whats going on now. I need to get to a normal charger.
    I just got my Pre and have a question. When I get up in the morning after charging all night, it is half dead.. apparently once it reaches 100% charge it just disconnects the charging, then never picks it back up until you unplug and re-plug. Is this normal?
    No its not. I leave it over night and in the morining im at full 100%
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tampashooters View Post
    I just got my Pre and have a question. When I get up in the morning after charging all night, it is half dead.. apparently once it reaches 100% charge it just disconnects the charging, then never picks it back up until you unplug and re-plug. Is this normal?
    That is for sure an issue.... You plugged into the wall for power or another device like a cable box or PC via USB?
    Quote Originally Posted by djhspawn View Post
    That is for sure an issue.... You plugged into the wall for power or another device like a cable box or PC via USB?
    It was plugged directly into the wall and car. I was not using the original charger though. I am using a Motorola MicroUSB wall charger, and a Motorola MicroUSB car charger in the car. I just plugged it in using the Palm charger, so we'll see if that may be it.
    Last edited by tampashooters; 07/10/2009 at 05:42 PM.
    Motorola charger (car and wall) i thought were only rated at 800ma, which the palm needs 1000ma to charge properly, (at least i thought) so that might be part of the problem. I think htc chargers use 1000ma so those should work fine, i never had a problem with battery life yet, but they might have a bug or 10 on this problem to fix yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by djhspawn View Post
    now when I try to turn it on I get a picture of a power cord and a question mark.... I have no idea whats going on now. I need to get to a normal charger.
    Is there an update to your situation? I have seen others post seeing the same thing on their screen but I don't remember a definite answer. If I were to guess I'm going to assume that perhaps the battery isn't making a clean connection at the contacts. If it has charged well before and not drain even close to as rapidly as it is now I'd suspect something related to the battery itself. If the battery isn't making clean contact with the contacts I assume electrical resistance would go up dropping the voltage and draining the battery faster. I'm not real knowledgeable in electrical stuff so I did a little bit of google searching to try and figure out what might be going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Is there an update to your situation? I have seen others post seeing the same thing on their screen but I don't remember a definite answer. If I were to guess I'm going to assume that perhaps the battery isn't making a clean connection at the contacts. If it has charged well before and not drain even close to as rapidly as it is now I'd suspect something related to the battery itself. If the battery isn't making clean contact with the contacts I assume electrical resistance would go up dropping the voltage and draining the battery faster. I'm not real knowledgeable in electrical stuff so I did a little bit of google searching to try and figure out what might be going on.
    I got the Question mark in the car with my Moto charger, and when I switched to the Pre charger, everything went good in the world...
    I got the Question mark in the car with my Moto charger, and when I switched to the Pre charger, everything went good in the world...
    My battery went too low today and the pre powered off. Out of curiosity I held the power button to see if it would turn back on ever so briefly to enter some info. I was presented with the battery with the lightning bolt and red fill at the bottom. I then though what if I hold the power button down again. I then saw the plug with a question mark thing. Since I was not charging it in any way it became obvious to me what this screen means. It is informing the user that it isn't seeing a connection to charge with. So perhaps that moto charger is not of the proper specs or something to charge the pre.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    No.
    Are you using touchstone?

As for Original Poster - has it happened again? Maybe it had a bad charge over night or something? My battery life is good, I easily get through a whole day without needing to recharge.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
    I have used the Touchstone every night and most days from the time I got it(2 days after the Pre).

It charges to 100% and I have no problems at all from that point on . I get almost a full day doing just normal stuff with WiFi and BT turned on most of the day.I mainly do mess and E-mail woth Tweed running as well.

I think either you have Phone issues or TouchStone issues. It could be a bad Stone or even just the Back not making a good connection.
    I've been a long time avid fan of palm products. The last phone that I had was the palm centro with the extended battery from Seidio (2600mah). My concern is that even with the extended seidio battery for the pre (when it eventually comes out), I will still be charging this phone at least twice a day. Most of my work involves talking with clients and customers, and maintaining my task agenda ...also a joke by the way..with a GTD philosophy. I have already charged my phone with it's stock battery twice...and it's only 12:30 central. Im afraid that with it's current battery drain...that the extended battery may also not be enough. With my extended centro battery...I was usually able to make it to around 4pm.

Andy
    Sounds like youre NOT the average user Palm designed this for. No offense, but with that much usage, you might get used to charging it. If youre going to keep the Pre, get the 2600mah battery and keep your stock battery charged just in case. I keep my Pre on the Touchstone while I stream podcasts/music.

Maybe a Blackberry wouldve been a more prudent purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I keep my Pre on the Touchstone while I stream podcasts/music.
    Touchstone is good for phone calls too either using the headphones or a BT headset (with which you can walk around your office while your phone is on the Touchstone).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast