Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Are you mobile? You can always get a Touchstone if you sit at a desk.

You must be on the phone constantly if the 2600mah battery in the Centro only got you to 4pm.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    My battery is fine and I consider myself to be an average user. 1000 texts a month, 1gb data a month, 900 minutes a month.
    The simply everything plan was definately designed for people like...Im not too sure about the hardware though. But, that said...Ive been such a loyal palm person for as long as I can remember. I'd like to stay with the brand if at all possible. This thread by the way was not meant to rag on the product or its defects...I can accept that its still a first generation device...and I simply love the new OS. It's just an observation from someone that uses the device as a necessary business tool. Maybe a blackberry should have been better? Wasn't this phone designed to be a business smartphone?

Andy
    I use my phone a lot, but not to talk on. The screen is on most of the day, and my battery life is pretty excellent, with the stock battery.
    You are on the extreme side of business customer. The Palm Pre was designed to go head to head with iPhone essentially, both devices being consumer media-centric phones first, business second.

Whereas the Blackberry is business first, consumer second.

Either way, someone here suggested that if you're at a desk most of the day, just get a Touchstone and a Bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by akular1 View Post
    The simply everything plan was definately designed for people like...Im not too sure about the hardware though. But, that said...Ive been such a loyal palm person for as long as I can remember. I'd like to stay with the brand if at all possible. This thread by the way was not meant to rag on the product or its defects...I can accept that its still a first generation device...and I simply love the new OS. It's just an observation from someone that uses the device as a necessary business tool. Maybe a blackberry should have been better? Wasn't this phone designed to be a business smartphone?

Andy
    It sounds like you're unusual, even for a business user. Lots of business users have desks with land lines. I can accept that the battery and power management may not be acceptable for your particular use, but please, let's not paint all business users with that same brush.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Hmmm

Sitting in nyc and played online for exactly 1 hour and 2 minutes. Down to 69 % battery. Started at 100% battery. What gives... Dang!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    It could be due to a very poor signal where you work.
    The only battery issues I've been having is due to weak signals, and that's Sprint's fault.

Have you just bought the phone? For some reason, everyone has been saying the battery gets better after a while. It could be that this lithium battery somehow adapts... or something.

With much usage, I would just get the 2600 mAH battery and keep the batter you're already using as a backup.
    However, I can't see someone not lasting through the work hours with a 2600mAH battery.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I've been a long time avid fan of palm products. The last phone that I had was the palm centro with the extended battery from Seidio (2600mah). My concern is that even with the extended seidio battery for the pre (when it eventually comes out), I will still be charging this phone at least twice a day. Most of my work involves talking with clients and customers, and maintaining my task agenda ...also a joke by the way..with a GTD philosophy. I have already charged my phone with it's stock battery twice...and it's only 12:30 central. Im afraid that with it's current battery drain...that the extended battery may also not be enough. With my extended centro battery...I was usually able to make it to around 4pm.

Andy
    battery is horrible. ive had 3 palm pre's. all with shameful battery performance. took Pre back, cancelled Sprint (i was out of contract when i purchased Pre) bought 16 gb iPhone 3GS last Tuesday. Battery life ROCKS!!!! Only need charging once a day (with HEAVY use) compared to 3x's daily for Pre.
    I have had mine for a week now. Almost didn't get the phone because of battery complaints. However, I think it has been just fine (only battery saving tip implemented is reduced screen brightness). No different than my treo 700w.

I have been on multiple phone calls today, 5-10 minutes of browsing. GPS on all the time with a 15 trip giving directions, EAS push enabled. Was at 100% at 8 A.M. and at 73% 6 hours later. I really cant complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Hmmm

Sitting in nyc and played online for exactly 1 hour and 2 minutes. Down to 69 % battery. Started at 100% battery. What gives... Dang!
    For what it's worth, web surfing seems to be one of the more battery intensive activities you can do on the Pre. It's right up there with phone calls.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    The Pre has the best battery life I have seen compared to other Palm products (even a few BB's).

I get to the end of the day easily, every day. That's all I ask out of a smartphone.

About 1500 minutes, 700 text,
    Last bill was 1GB of data. (Yikes!)

Like another user said, get a touchstone on your desk. (And in your car, like I just did Not because I need it to charge, it's just cool and neat
    I am trying hard to stay with this phone. I find it interesting that people are saying the pre was designed as a consumer based phone first, and a business user's phone secondly. I would argue that the treo line of phones (ie 700w, etc.) were designed for business use first, and consumers second. Does this mean that palm will necessarily alienate a loyal following by changing who they market the phone to? Not sure if the above sentence made any sense...
    one more thing... i didnt think that there was a touchstone available for the car
    one more thing... i didnt think that there was a touchstone available for the car
    Actually,using the Sprint official car charger with some modification allows the Touchstone to work just fine in the car.
    battery gets better, it might not take a week though.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    What kind of modifications do we have to do to make the touchstone fit the car?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Global Posts
    468 Global Posts
    The battery will take a few weeks to season...I found that mine took upwards of three weeks before I could take my phone off the charger at midnight and leave work at 5:00 pm and have 40% left. Keep in mind that I only use mine for some voicemail and checking email during the day, but am still in an EV wasteland at work. When I first got it, it wouldn't last half the day.

With that being said, if you are constantly on your phone making calls, I can see how the battery would drain. Are you using a bluetooth headset? Are you using GPS at the same time? Are you in the car while you are making most of your calls?

I invested in an extended battery(1350) so I could have some more life and it is compatible with the touchstone. You might consider something like this if you are in the car a lot. If you aren't and are thinking of going with the 2600, it will not be touchstone compatible, but it might give you more battery life that you are needing and pairing that with a car charger, it might suit your needs.
    Sanyo SCP 4500 > Samsung SCH 1900 > Sanyo SCP 5000 > Treo 755p > Palm Pre > HTC Evo
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noblejohn View Post
    dont hate the messenger, hate your piece of ***** phone that you are STUCK with playboy
    That's not very noble, John. Anyway, speak for yourself. My battery life is fine, my pixels are fine, my screen is fine. As are most others'.

I don't feel "stuck" with anything.
    Do we know for a fact that the 2600 mah battery will not be compatible with the touchstone?

Andy
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast