Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Couple quick questions for you guys.
    I recently switched from Verizon to Sprint in order to get a Pre. I have loved it and still do. I'm really excited about what the future holds for it. My 30 days is coming up though and I have a couple worries about the phone. Within 30 days my screen has some how been loosened to the point where the screen can actually twist around from left to right.
    Second problem is I think I maybe got a bad battery b/c as I stated its about 2:10pm and I took my phone off the charger at 7:15 Am this morning and I'm down to 27%. After watching a 6 min Husker video and sending about 20 texts.
    Third problem is in the upper right hand corner of the phone by the vibrate switch if i push on it, it clicks.
    I'm not here to Pre bash, like I said, I love this phone, it's awesome. I'm just a little worried if this phone will make it 2 years. Are these normal problems? What are my options? I am within the 30 days for any return/exchange.

Sorry about the length and I really do appreciate any responses.
    I would take it to the Sprint store and get a replacement.... Not worth the risk of something bad happening down the road.

Not sure of your settings but i never had my phone drain that fast even with the 1.02 version.

Better to be safe than sorry

Good Luck
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmehr View Post
    I would take it to the Sprint store and get a replacement.... Not worth the risk of something bad happening down the road.

Not sure of your settings but i never had my phone drain that fast even with the 1.02 version.

Better to be safe than sorry

Good Luck

settings are nothing crazy... lowest brightness...wifi only on when i'm around a "hotspot" no BT and screen turns off after 30 sec. of no activity.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachz View Post
    Second problem is I think I maybe got a bad battery b/c as I stated its about 2:10pm and I took my phone off the charger at 7:15 Am this morning and I'm down to 27%. After watching a 6 min Husker video and sending about 20 texts.
    Go to this thread and vote in the poll. I get very similar results to yours, which translates to around a 10%/hour discharge rate. Some other folks get much closer to 5%/hour discharge. So far, I've not been able to identify a configuration option that markedly improves things, and I know some people have swapped out batteries with no change. So, I personally lean toward either a hardware problem or a reception problem.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...r-10-hour.html
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    As far as the slider and creaks go, those are inevitable. If you get a new Pre without those issues, I am willing to bet that within a month or so, they'll be back. It's simple wear and tear. And with phones like these with lots of moving parts, those issues are bound to arise.

As far as battery life goes, there are a lot of factors that could influence your battery life. Things such as turning Wi-Fi on, keeping your phone in areas with better reception, turning off GPS and BT could all assist with battery life. You shouldn't base your battery life on one day or situation, but as an average of many days, weeks, etc. Looking back this past month, if your battery life has lasted you an average of a day's worth of use, then it's performing as normal.

Finally, don't worry about the 30-day grace period. I hope you made the right decision to get the TEP insurance program. It's $7 a month for the peace of mind of knowing you're covered for anything that could go wrong for as long as you own the device. You do have to join the program within the 30-day grace period, so act fast if you haven't done so. That way you don't have to rush to get your phone exchanged if you're considering doing so.
    Wow! your batter is draining way too fast. Have you tried any of the battery saving tips such as turning down the backlighting? I have my backlighting turned down all the way (which at times, like in total darkness, is still too bright for my taste).
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    How is your cell radio reception for most of your day so far? Are you near-roaming/roaming?
    How about you email. I set mine to update every 6 hours and it help a ton....

From reading your post I believe you two main issues are the twisty screen and bad battery life. [the vibrate button may be a non-issue or non-detrimental to the phone]

You have nothing to loose by swapping it for a new one.
    better to replace the phone...mine doesnt drain that crazy fast

From reading your post I believe you two main issues are the twisty screen and bad battery life. [the vibrate button may be a non-issue or non-detrimental to the phone]

maybe if ur in a sucky coverage u can also lose battery bc the pre is constantly trying to have a good connection
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Wow! your batter is draining way too fast. Have you tried any of the battery saving tips such as turning down the backlighting? I have my backlighting turned down all the way (which at times, like in total darkness, is still too bright for my taste).
    I certainly have. my backlight is as low as it goes as well

Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    How is your cell radio reception for most of your day so far? Are you near-roaming/roaming?
    I'm glad you brought that up. Recently at work when I unlock my phone I will catch it slipping from EVDO to 1X ALOT more often. this has just started happening over the last week or so though, sorta weird. I have my preferences switched to sprint only tho. And I'm in the heart of Omaha so I should have great service. People on alltel that I work with are complaing about their service going in and out too.. weird..

Both my emails are set to 24 hours. But I check it about 2 or 3 times a day manually.

Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    better to replace the phone...mine doesnt drain that crazy fast
    I guess I just wanted to know how mine compares to other people... I knew this couldn't be right I just didn't want to go into the store and have this be normal...
    Email settings can kill the phone battery quickly. What are yours? Setting mine to 12 hours and manually fetching when I want them saved me lots of juice. As they come or manual settings are buggy and drain battery. Especially in low signal areas.
    Not sure if the OP exchanged or not but either way these tips will help. The 3 most common observed issue that appear to drain the battery the worst: very low signal, email fetch interval ( increase if you get a lot of email and as items arive if hardly any), and IM google and AOL (log out when not actively chatting).
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I was at a friends cottage over the weekend. I was roaming the whole time. It drained my battery very fast. If I do not roam then my battery lasts 3 times as long. Turning roaming off might help.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Do you have a POP3 or Hotmail account setup? There were lots of issues with those types, and i am not sure if they were resolved. I ultimately ended up using Gmail to fetch all of my other accounts so I only have two accounts (Gmail and Exchange) setup on my phone.

BTW - I have it set to recevie "as e-mails arrive" for both accounts and the phone could last a couple of days without a charge. All GPS and Wifi settings are on all the time.
    You may want to try changing your Network preference to "Sprint Only" when you do not need roaming. I did and it greatly improved my battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    You may want to try changing your Network preference to "Sprint Only" when you do not need roaming. I did and it greatly improved my battery life.
    Out of curiosity does it not search for a signal if it can't roam? I've not tried using sprint only mine doesn't roam a lot but it does once in awhile roam when I'm at home. When I'm at work I think it does even more cause of the building. I notice on days I work the battery drains faster when not in use than when at home and not in use.