1.    #1  
    Last night I got a call from a colleague and *just* missed it. He left a voicemail, but I called him right back. So, as we begin the conversation I get a glaringly LOUD notifcation sound through the earpiece. However, I am not sure whether or not my contact heard it on their end. Does anyone know, first of all WHY we get notification sounds through the speaker while on a call? And whether or not our contact then hears the notification on their end?

If so, this is an embarrassing problem. I mean, on certain calls with say my university President -- I don't want the freakin' notifications to come through and interrupt the call! It was bad enough to have it happen last night with this respected professor on the other end.

Anyone else getting this and/or know if there is a fix? Or if it's fixable through an update? I cannot imagine that business people would be too keene on this notification hiccup.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    You can adjust the volume of the notification by adjusting the system sounds.
    They do not hear it on the other end and the only fix is to lower the notification volume level or turn off.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Yeah it's kinda annoying... if it vibrated only that'd be great but the tone through the earpiece is wack. it drowns out your caller and you need to have them repeat themselves.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    They do not hear it on the other end and the only fix is to lower the notification volume level or turn off.
    They actually do hear it on the other end. This has happened to me a few times and each time the person on the other end asks what the heck that was.
    very tru....my notofication sound is..."mail motha ******er...and when im in a call its loud and the other ppl start laughing...im like wow
    This has been a long standing Treo issue... I remember this being a problem back in the days of the 300's, etc., each new flavor of Palm OS Phone had this issue that was ultimately corrected in later versions.... weird that it's back.
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    very tru....my notofication sound is..."mail motha ******er...and when im in a call its loud and the other ppl start laughing...im like wow
    i want this! where did you get it?
    Never had anyone hear my notifications, I will admit though that it's annoying that the notifications sound takes priority over the voice call.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    i want this! where did you get it?
    lol i downloaded it on limewire a long time......still got the file on my laptop
    if u want the mail mother fu**er sound here it is...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    i actually have it on my phone as an mp3 sound....it really doesnt matter if u have it as wav or mp3....its still loud as hell
  13.    #14  
    Thanks. I saw these on my search before I posted the new thread. But they do not address the question as to whether the contact hears the notifications.

I think it is insane to have to shut off notifcation sounds when on a call... INSANE. Who the heck is gonna do that?! I need notifications to work throughout the day. Should I, when a call comes in, say "oh, hang on a sec while I shut off my notification sounds?!"

By that logic -- we would never have notifications enabled. They need to fix this. It is unacceptable for a device that retails for $500+ to have this kind of issue.

Calling and receiving calls is the most basic thing that should be expected of a cellular device.

I love my pre, but this issue coupled with the issue of notification sounds remaining muted even after turning the mute button back off (when using the mute button) may be a deal breaker.

Not sure. Just not sure
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    lol i was on the phone with the IRS and i had the phone on speaker phone and a notification came through. "He was like OMG what was that! That hurt my ears!" He was like super pissed off about it. I agree that it is "Busch League" to have stupid mistakes like that on a phone as expensive and nice as the Pre. It was pretty funny in that situation though.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    HOW do you change the notification sound in the first place? If you can change the sound then that means you can substitute a sound that is also LOUDER.

I downloaded the louder ringtones so I no longer miss calls, but I do miss messaging notifications all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    Thanks. I saw these on my search before I posted the new thread. But they do not address the question as to whether the contact hears the notifications.

I think it is insane to have to shut off notifcation sounds when on a call... INSANE. Who the heck is gonna do that?! I need notifications to work throughout the day. Should I, when a call comes in, say "oh, hang on a sec while I shut off my notification sounds?!"

By that logic -- we would never have notifications enabled. They need to fix this. It is unacceptable for a device that retails for $500+ to have this kind of issue.

Calling and receiving calls is the most basic thing that should be expected of a cellular device.

I love my pre, but this issue coupled with the issue of notification sounds remaining muted even after turning the mute button back off (when using the mute button) may be a deal breaker.

Not sure. Just not sure
    This.

I get that there are fixes for everything by just shutting it off. But damn, I paid good money for this phone and I shouldn't have to turn off the very features I bought it for, just to get it to be like my old model phones.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    This is indeed an annoying problem. Yes, people can hear it from their end of the line (yes, my notification volume is up loud, but this issue shouldn't happen in the first place, and I shouldn't have to defeat the purpose of what notification sounds are supposed to do by turning them down or muting them with the switch. We really need a "turn off notification sounds and vibrates during phone calls" option in WebOS!

Conversely, I would gladly pay for software that would fix this issue from a homebrew developer.

Anyway, today when I explained that that noise was my new Palm Pre, my client on the other end actually said, "wow, maybe I need to stay away from that phone!" I told him it's a great phone, just has this annoying bug.

(Sigh.)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You could have just explained that your new phone only came out a month ago and that there are always problems with new models of smartphones and that even the iPhone had significant issues when it first came out.
    Really man? Really?

I have this same problem. Everyone on the other end is just like, "WTF was that?" It's kind of annoying.
    Last edited by sherman901; 07/29/2009 at 12:53 PM.