1.    #1  
    I am having difficulty finding out if there are any shortcut menus for frequently used people/telephone numbers... does anyone know if the Palm Pre supports telephone shortcuts (in a seperate pull down menu). I hate having to type everyone's name each time I want a number to call. My Treo had this and I used it frequently. If anyone knows how to do this, can you tell me where in the Palm Pre it is and how to set it up?

Thanks!
    Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if you open the phone app and press the button in the bottom right corner, to the right of the voicemail button, it brings up all previous calls and missed calls (you can sort with buttons at the top). It does keep every instance that you call or miss a call from the same contact though instead of showing it one time and then letting you know when you missed each call and/or made one to that person. For example if you call Bob 4 times in a row it will show Bob 4 times in a row in the list.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Isn't that part of what the synergy aspect was all about? Just type in the first 2 letters of the name and it comes up.
    For contacts you can just add them to the Launcher for quick access. Then just hit the first ltr of the name
    You can also set up speed dial for those people and do it that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    Isn't that part of what the synergy aspect was all about? Just type in the first 2 letters of the name and it comes up.
    That has nothing to do with synergy. Synergy is just the concept of merging related data into a single view such as brining information for a single contact into a single view when the information actually exists in different places.
  7. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFaulk0517 View Post
    I am having difficulty finding out if there are any shortcut menus for frequently used people/telephone numbers... does anyone know if the Palm Pre supports telephone shortcuts (in a seperate pull down menu). I hate having to type everyone's name each time I want a number to call. My Treo had this and I used it frequently. If anyone knows how to do this, can you tell me where in the Palm Pre it is and how to set it up?

Thanks!
    Well, there's always typing someone's name (universal search is great for this). You can also assign speed dial keys on the keyboard; m for mom, k for kthulu, etc.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    That has nothing to do with synergy. Synergy is just the concept of merging related data into a single view such as brining information for a single contact into a single view when the information actually exists in different places.
    I think you're partly correct. But merged data means nothing unless you can get at that data. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that being able to do a single search for contacts, apps, google searches, etc, fell under the umbrella of "Synergy"... at least as it has been marketed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonFaulk0517 View Post

Thanks!
    To answer your question, there are no telephone shortcuts in a separate pull down menu like on the Treos. I know what you are talking about and I wish there was something like that in the phone app. The closest thing would be to go to the call list like Pre Diddy said. If you are looking for something like how the treos did it, I might suggest putting in a request for features on Palm's website at this link Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    You can add contacts to your launcher screens. Just go to the contact that you want, click contacts in upper left corner, then click add to launcher.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Any time in universal search you can also dial just by initials.

ie If your contact's name is PreMa Donna you can dial by pressing PD<enter>
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Well, there's always typing someone's name (universal search is great for this). You can also assign speed dial keys on the keyboard; m for mom, k for kthulu, etc.
    How do you do this?
    Get into the person's contact information you'd like to set. Once there, there is a tab on the upper left that says "Contacts" with a down arrow. When you touch that, there will be options and one is "Set Speed Dial". You're then able to select any key. The numbered ones will allow you to use the touch screen and hold down the specified number when the dial pad is up. If you assign one off the number pad, you have to open up the phone to hold the button down.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tcassio View Post
    You can add contacts to your launcher screens. Just go to the contact that you want, click contacts in upper left corner, then click add to launcher.
    Excellent... this is what I am after. I don't know how you found this, but it works great!

Thanks!

... Don
    We still are missing the favorites and functionality of the Treo. There was one fellow who said that he would consider writing and APP to replace this lost funstionality. Adding to the launcher has limited space and does not provide the flexibility we used to have with the TREO. Search around and let the fellow know. I think I titled the message with the word Favorites. Use a search with Favorites and my user name.

In my mind, as a telephone only device, the PRE is about a 6/10 compared if the TREO is a 10/10. We really do miss some key features (and editable one line text messages. These two items save a TON of time.