Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    My previous phone was a Treo 650 on the AT&T network, which followed other palms and even the Kyocera 7135 (I think that's what it was). Thought I'd share my top-line thoughts on the Pre and Sprint two weeks into ownership.

The phone: I like it - mostly.

Good: Screen, Voice Quality, Synergy, Multi-tasking, Wi-Fi, gestures, camera (for what it is), very reliable OS, small size

Fair: Battery life (really, not bad, I charge it every night, that's it), calendar navigation, build quality (slight twist, 6/24 date code)

Bad: Keys on keyboard are *small*. Access is made worse with the Rocketfish case, which results in accessing the top row of keys even more difficult. Can't send calendar invites. Really bad: Won't sync contacts with car BT ('07 BMW 530).

The service: Pleasantly surprised

Good: Voice quality is very good to excellent - I remain in shock. I'm not sure if I attribute the difference to the lousiness of AT&T or the Treo 650, but boy, it's night and day. (FWIW I'm in MA, USA). I have yet to have a dropped call. Had a 3 way conference call last night and it was as if it was over a land line.

Fair: Billing. Yesterday I received two bills for exactly the same time period. I'll have to spend time making sure everything is as it should be.

Summary: I like it, but the very small keyboard and lack of BT address book support may be deal killers for me. Two weeks left to decide.

Naturally, I'm sure some of you think the keyboard is fine, and the call quality is not acceptable, etc. Like everything, YMMV.
    Can't remember the post, but search for BMW. Someone else was having the issue. I believe they entered into developer mode and could sync contacts.
    CDMA technology has always surpassed GSM as far as voice quality is concerned, but I think its widely acknowledged that AT&T is the leader in poor voice quality and dropped calls.
    Good Input. Looks like you actually put time into your post. I'm glad to not see "ugh I can't forward the bad joke of the day text?! I'm returning this phone!"

Seems like some legitimate complaints. I agree with you for the most-part.

The only thing I can say about the keyboard is that over time you will get used to it. I got mine on launch day and I'm much more accurate than day one. The Pre still needs a better auto-correct for those unavoidable typos and such.

I am Glad to hear that you left those donkeys called AT&T. Terrible network.
    Interesting that you say that. I've always found GSM voice quality superior to CDMA, and in fact - can tell JUST BY LISTENING whether someone is on a GSM or CDMA phone! Of course - it COULD be the phones - but don't believe so. Guess everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes "good" voice quality.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I can't comment on GSM vs CDMA - I've always been on Sprint - but the voice quality has gotten better for me as new phone generations have come along. My previous phone was the first Sanyo Katanya, and the Pre is much better quality in normal mode (not speaker). My wife uses two hearing aids, and she can hear the Pre better as well.

OP, nice post and good comments reflecting on your experience. I haven't found the keyboard too difficult to use, but you have to put the center of your finger - the bone - right over the key you want. Then you'll get an accurate key in every time.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    You haven't talked about the amazing GPS utility that Sprint provides. As well as SprintTV, Nascar (if you're into it), and the awaited NFL app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Interesting that you say that. I've always found GSM voice quality superior to CDMA, and in fact - can tell JUST BY LISTENING whether someone is on a GSM or CDMA phone! Of course - it COULD be the phones - but don't believe so. Guess everyone has a different opinion of what constitutes "good" voice quality.
    Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear. With GSM it depends on your location with regard to cell tower/cell area. GSM technology fades the farther away you are from the center of a cell, CDMA maintains the same quality until you are out of cell range (and the call drops). So, if you are always in the middle of NYC, for example, your audio quality may be better.

I can tell the difference between GSM and CDMA too, its quite simple - GSM has silence suppression 'noise' (the underwater garble you hear) generated over the line so that calling and called parties don't think the line has dropped, CDMA does not
    I switched from AT&T to purchase the Pre. I switched in Mid-May while Sprint was buying contracts (paid my early termination fee). I used a LG Rumor until the Pre became available.

I love the Pre (except battery life). Sprint customer service is very good but coverage is poor. I rarely see full signal strength. I have experience many dropped calls and my phone frequently roams. I would love to have the Pre on a different carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by fsmith328 View Post
    I switched from AT&T to purchase the Pre. I switched in Mid-May while Sprint was buying contracts (paid my early termination fee). I used a LG Rumor until the Pre became available.

I love the Pre (except battery life). Sprint customer service is very good but coverage is poor. I rarely see full signal strength. I have experience many dropped calls and my phone frequently roams. I would love to have the Pre on a different carrier.
    Sprint was buying users on other carriers out of their ETFs? I never heard a peep about that. I must be trolling the wrong websites.
    It always surprises me people complain about small keys... having used the Curve and the Bold that my friends owned, I have an infinitely easier time typing on my Pre. I've got pretty big fingers, I'm a guitar player after all, and the keyboard seems perfect to me. Take that case off and put a BSE skin on it and you'll be in business!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    GSM is crap, they are doing better with it but the farther away from a cell tower you get the worse the call quality gets. With CDMA it's all or nothing.

I've talked to people who I know have iPhones and they sound like garbage when they are in the outside the city, never have this prob with sprint. Either I get through and have good call quality or go straight to voicemail