Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    With the unlimited plan on the pre you get unlimited text, minutes, and data for 99 bucks a month. You just cant beat that on ANY other carrier. Therefore it should not matter if everyone you know has verizon, you get to text and talk to them as much as you want. Also, keep in mind that sprint has a deal with verizon to where sprint customers can roam on the verizon network. This theoretically means that your coverage can only get better, not worse on sprint's network if you are switching from Verizon.

As to the phone itself, i know that alot of people are complaining about quality problems with the hardware, and i do believe that there are alot of people with genuine hardware problems with their pre, but my brother and I got ours several weeks after release and we have honestly not had any problems whatsoever. No light leakage, dead/stuck pixels, screen cracks, etc. The only issue we have is the slight oreo twist but honestly I'd bet my left testicle that this is a necessary evil that ALL pres have because of the slider. When the slider is out, the phone feels very solid. I've even dropped it on concrete from a good 3 feet up and have had no ill effects aside from a few small scratches at the edge where the pre struck the ground.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, I'm very happy with my phone. The multitasking alone sold me on the phone. It isnt perfect as it is a first generation device, but for what it is the pre has been a home run for me so far.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Just switch from Verizon to Sprint. Originally I was going to swap my Sprint Touch Pro (older model, configured for VZW) out for a new unit because of a chrome defect. But when I went to the store, they had a Pre...I think you know what happens next.

We opened a line for 30 days originally - just to test the service. No differences that I could tell.

Finally, as for the ETF, there is currently a way out of it: NEW JULY 09 - Verizon no EFT termination - Admin Charge increase - SlickDeals.net Forums
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    In all sincerity, I really hope Verizon doesn't cripple the WebOS phones they get.
    They will. They always do.
    I SWITCHED FROM VERIZON TO SPRINT.

I do not regret it. I will have to admit that the network coverage is only slightly worse than Verizon, but then again everyone knows Verizon has the absolute best network, period. So, going from Verizon to any other network would have to be a downgrade; fortunately Sprint's network is not too shabby.

You will also love your monthly bill. Super low! Will easily make up the difference of that Early Termination Fee over the course of a few months in monthly savings.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Finally, as for the ETF, there is currently a way out of it:
    JULY 09 - Verizon no EFT termination - Admin Charge increase - SlickDeals.net Forums
    Wow, I have no idea how you found this, but thank you! They increased the administrative charge for voice and email plans slightly so I can use that to get out with no ETF? Sign me up, but how on earth do I go about telling them this and doing it....

EDIT: I read the entire thing you linked (well not all, I'm still finishing page 2). It looks like Verizon is not letting people get out of contracts with this
    Last edited by Shadnic; 07/10/2009 at 03:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    Wow, I have no idea how you found this, but thank you! They increased the administrative charge for voice and email plans slightly so I can use that to get out with no ETF? Sign me up, but how on earth do I go about telling them this and doing it....

EDIT: I read the entire thing you linked (well not all, I'm still finishing page 2). It looks like Verizon is not letting people get out of contracts with this
    Oh, but they are. I've already called in for the first account and had it noted (and recorded the conversation, just in case). Precedence is set for my account, so I'll call in once the bill hits and have them remove the other.
    Go with Sprint. The NOW Network is better than having millions of Verizon people following you around all the time.
    I switched from Verizon. At first, I just liked the Pre, but upon further research, I found sprint to be way cheaper. I'm saving about 20 bucks a month on Sprint.

Sprint Pros:
    Cheaper
    You can get the pre right now
    features are included

Sprint Cons/Verizon Pros
    The network. Sprint's network is fine, but I think Verizon's is better. I do miss that sometimes. I mainly don't have signal in places like stairwells now that I had on verizon.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it. The Pre's a great phone, the plans are priced very well. Plus, you get navigator, GPS, sprint TV and others included for free in the plan. When the phone comes out on Verizon, you better believe they're going to lock out the gps functions and milk you for 10 bucks a month if you want their version. Also, texting is huge. If you text a lot, you get unlimited included on Sprint. That'll cost you more on verizon.
    I didn't see anyone mention this, don't forget that VZW will just gimp the Pre if and when they do get it. :P

But honestly, Sprint's service hasn't been all that crappy for years. It's great for me, they help me quickly, reverse fees, replace my phones for free(even dropped in water). The free roaming is basically the best part for me. I am often out in the county in no mans land, and with the free roaming on ANY VZW tower I enjoy service everywhere. The coolest thing sprint did for me was remove the international roaming charges I kept getting right along the canadian border where my sister lives. I no longer receive those charges.

I pay $129.99 for a 2 line 1500minute everything data plan, with phone insurance on my Pre. Then I get a 10% discount for belonging to a credit union, and another 10% from working for a company that uses Sprint.
    All the palm phones I've used on Verizon haven't been crippled by Verizons stupid UI. So I'm hoping that this new phone will keep its intended UI.
    I went from Verizon to Sprint only because of the discount I get off of plans. Verizon has pricey plans but I can speak nothing but praise for their service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jihan View Post
    Since Verizon is getting the Pre in January, I'm just going to stick it out for a few months while Palm works all the bugs out, then get the phone I want on the carrier I prefer.
    Are you sure Verizon is getting the Pre in January?
    I was a 14 year Verizon customer and I switched to Sprint. The prprpr&#$275$; $was$ $the$ $deciding$ $factor$, $but$ $I$ $was$ $going$ $to$ $change$ $anyway$. $Verizon$'$s$ $coverage$ $and$ $service$ $is$ $excellent$, $but$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $same$ $capabilities$ $as$ $I$'$m$ $now$ $getting$ $with$ $Sprint$ $would$ $have$ $cost$ $me$ $$1000$ $more$ $over$ $a$ $2$ $year$ $contract$.

I was long past ready to get into the smartphone arena and I just couldn't justify staying with Verizon with their endless nickle-and-dime pricing. So far, Sprint's service and coverage as been just as good for me - haven't had but one dropped call this month - and nowhere have I been out of service yet.

Had I stayed with Verizon, I would have gotten a Storm I imagine, but I'm absolutely thrilled to have the prprpr&#$275$; $on$ $Sprint$.

And yes, when the prprpr&#$275$; $comes$ $to$ $Verizon$ $they$ $will$ $undoubtedly$ $mung$ $up$ $the$ $OS$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $why$ $they$ $insist$ $on$ $doing$ $that$, $but$ $they$ $do$. $Perhaps$ $with$ $rooting$, $you$'$ll$ $be$ $able$ $to$ &$quot$;$fix$&$quot$; $a$ $VZW$ $issued$ $pr$&#$275$;, $but$ $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $bother$.

Joe
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    I was a 14 year Verizon customer and I switched to Sprint. The prprpr&#$275$; $was$ $the$ $deciding$ $factor$, $but$ $I$ $was$ $going$ $to$ $change$ $anyway$. $Verizon$'$s$ $coverage$ $and$ $service$ $is$ $excellent$, $but$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $same$ $capabilities$ $as$ $I$'$m$ $now$ $getting$ $with$ $Sprint$ $would$ $have$ $cost$ $me$ $$1000$ $more$ $over$ $a$ $2$ $year$ $contract$.

I was long past ready to get into the smartphone arena and I just couldn't justify staying with Verizon with their endless nickle-and-dime pricing. So far, Sprint's service and coverage as been just as good for me - haven't had but one dropped call this month - and nowhere have I been out of service yet.

Had I stayed with Verizon, I would have gotten a Storm I imagine, but I'm absolutely thrilled to have the prprpr&#$275$; $on$ $Sprint$.

And yes, when the prprpr&#$275$; $comes$ $to$ $Verizon$ $they$ $will$ $undoubtedly$ $mung$ $up$ $the$ $OS$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $why$ $they$ $insist$ $on$ $doing$ $that$, $but$ $they$ $do$. $Perhaps$ $with$ $rooting$, $you$'$ll$ $be$ $able$ $to$ &$quot$;$fix$&$quot$; $a$ $VZW$ $issued$ $pr$&#$275$;, $but$ $I$ $wouldn$'$t$ $bother$.

Joe
    I'm not so sure about that. They have done nothing to my BB other than add the Verizon logo to the boot screen.

I really don't think that Verizon messes with their smartphones much. Featurephones are a completely different story.
    I was a VZ user for almost a decade. Switched to Sprint because I was tired of waiting and waiting for new phones that appeared 6-12 months later than sprint. I have been VERY happy with sprint. Even there customer service has been decent. Great coverage no matter where I travel. AND I save money!
    I really don't think that Verizon messes with their smartphones much. Featurephones are a completely different story.
    That's good to hear. They completely crippled every phone I ever had from them. Maybe they're wising up.

Joe
    Port your number when you try sprint. Worst case scenario is you go back to verizon and get two months of service for free.
    The main reason I switched was because it was cheaper in the long run for the plans, especially data+text.

The Pre being close to, if not better than the iphone in many aspects is just a sweet, sweet icing on the cake.
    Last edited by ranzchic; 07/11/2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jallen3.14 View Post
    That's good to hear. They completely crippled every phone I ever had from them. Maybe they're wising up.

Joe
    I am not sure about this

My BB curve was and is still crippled.

So..
    Quote Originally Posted by wordweaver View Post
    iJaculate somewhere else
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    I've been following this phone since it was first unveiled, and, being a very cell phone obsessed person (not that I buy lots of them, I just read about and keep up with them), this phone seems to be the perfect mixture of fun, cool, practical, and useful. I want it so bad, but I'm currently on Verizon, and the LAST THING IN THE WORLD I want is to switch carriers for one phone, and then not be happy with it.

So far my pros and cons are:

Pros:
    THE PRE (if its as amazing as I hope)
    Cheaper plan with more features
    Sprint coverage map "shows" great coverage in my area
    PRE
    Sprint has a great ad campaign going, makes me feel like they know what they're doing :P

Cons:
    Verizon cancellation fee
    Verizon is very much expanding and gaining features/users, Sprint is kind of down in the dumps.
    Everyone I know has Verizon, no one has Sprint, so no more free calls/texts to them.
    Quality issues with the Pre, I'd hate to get a bad one.
    Verizon may get a Pre next year, but I'd hate to wait to see when that is, what if it takes longer?
    There's rumors and hints of Verizon getting some sort of apple product (tablet?) in the next year, and I love a shiny new gadget.

Anyone else an ex-Verizon user? Any regrets? Was it worth it? To any and all Pre owners from all networks or anything, is it worth it? Will I regret this at all? I've had one previous experience when I thought a phone was all high and mighty, then hated it absolutely and was miserable with it. Just don't want to go through that again.
    I work for Verizon and let me tell you, my boss was not thrilled when I walked in the store with my shiny new Pre. :-D However, I would not trade this little guy for anything. Sprint has been great so far, and I am definitely happy I made the switch. No regrets from this former Verizon user! Now the only hard part is trying to tell people to go with a BB Storm when I know the Pre is WAY better haha. ;-)

I'd say GO FOR IT! You'll be happy you did.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jihan View Post
    Since Verizon is getting the Pre in January, I'm just going to stick it out for a few months while Palm works all the bugs out, then get the phone I want on the carrier I prefer.
    Just so you know, I work for Verizon and I got this straight from our rep that our CFO said, and I quote, "...Within six months we will have devices LIKE the Pre and its cousin" (Caps my doing)

I wanted to wait for the Pre on Verizon, I really did. When my boss sent me that, I knew instantly that either Big Red will NOT be getting the Pre, or it will be dumbed down and neutered big time. After working there, that's generally how things have been...so if I were you, I would just go to Sprint and get the Pre now...because I will be very shocked if VZW gets the Pre at all, let alone leaving it with all its features intact. Just my opinion, though.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast