Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    A couple weeks ago I seemed to be having trouble receiving my Gmail whenever mail was received (I have it set to check whenever mail arrives) and I noticed that when the phone was idle (screen off) and I turned the screen back on the wiFi connection would then connect. So what is happening during that time? Is it supposed to use the EVDO connection to check for email?

I'm just curious because I've had my wifi off for the last few weeks and there are times when Gmail will suddenly send me messages that are hours old so maybe it wasn't the wifi after all.

Karl
    I can't speak to your Gmail delays but I can relate to your wifi idle issue.

I also noticed that whenever my screen came back on my wifi would reconnect, so I did some "testing." Whenever I'm running on battery power the wifi will idle at the same time as the screen does. If my phone is charging, however, the screen tends to stay on indefinitely, and the wifi does too. My results weren't 100%, though, because some of the time it was charging my phone's screen would idle. I have no idea why that is.

In the App Wishlist thread some people have suggested a probable fix for this. A power-profile app that manages phone features could be used to force the wifi to stay active, or conversely, to extend battery life. Either way, the choice should be ours to make. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this app to come soon.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the wifi is idle because the phone is idle, is my EVDO active or will I miss whatever happens to come in while it's idle?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    your wifi turns off but your EVDO turns on when idle. so you will not miss as long as you have emails set to "as they come in".
    Your EVDO stays active when idle, its just WiFi that disables.
    Ok, I understand now. Hmm... Yeah, I've noticed that the EVDO icon goes away when I connect to a wifi network. That's a good question! I'll look into it.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
    A couple weeks ago I seemed to be having trouble receiving my Gmail whenever mail was received (I have it set to check whenever mail arrives) and I noticed that when the phone was idle (screen off) and I turned the screen back on the wiFi connection would then connect. So what is happening during that time? Is it supposed to use the EVDO connection to check for email?

I'm just curious because I've had my wifi off for the last few weeks and there are times when Gmail will suddenly send me messages that are hours old so maybe it wasn't the wifi after all.

Karl
    I see the same thing. When I turn the screen on, I see the WiFi reconnecting. I assume the WiFi is off when phone is "idle". I still get "notification" on new email. (I am using exchange). I actually have notification "off", but have vibrate on, so it just vibrates without turning the screen on. I assume it is using EvDO for the email, but not 100% sure.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    WiFi definitely turns off. You can test this for yourself if you have a computer also connected to the same WiFi network. In the phone go to the WiFi settings, tap on the network you are using, and it should tell you your local IP address. Then on the computer go to your command prompt, and ping your phone's IP address. You will notice it will return a ping so long as the phone is not idle. Once the phone goes idle, the pings all time out.
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    how do i keep the wifi on when the phone is idle?

I have low cell signal in my office and would like to keep the wifi on so i dont lose connection.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    thats seems redunant feature./ to have to reconnect what if your browsing and set your phone down 1 hot second u have to reconnect
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Ok if evdo takes over when idle, what about when using pandora? When I use pandora via wifi, my pre eventually goes idle. So if it goes idle then that means it jumps off wifi and jumps on evdo? If this is so, then I love my pre more because I can't even hear a skip or jitter through pandora while it switches
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    how do i keep the wifi on when the phone is idle?

I have low cell signal in my office and would like to keep the wifi on so i dont lose connection.
    If my phone is charging, either by Touchstone or via the cable, WiFi will stay on even if the phone is idle.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvsds View Post
    Ok if evdo takes over when idle, what about when using pandora? When I use pandora via wifi, my pre eventually goes idle. So if it goes idle then that means it jumps off wifi and jumps on evdo? If this is so, then I love my pre more because I can't even hear a skip or jitter through pandora while it switches
    No, Pandora keeps Wifi active even when LCD is off.

ian
    i dont think those answer my question.... need to keep wifi on even when idle
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    No, Pandora keeps Wifi active even when LCD is off.

ian
    Not always. I've been trying to listen to Pandora over WiFi all afternoon (I keep my phone in airplane mode in my lab, due to no reception through concrete walls) and it keeps cutting out intermittently. Of course, if I keep the screen active, it's OK...
    I noticed this the other day also and even while AIM is running it will switch to EVDO When the screen is off. I figured this is part of the reason AIM drains the battery so fast even onWiFi.
    i hoped that keeping connected to a wifi spot will save battery power. Thats why i needed a way to keep the wifi open.

Data signal is poor where i work.