Global Posts
    309 Global Posts
    I saw this on Youtube today - is it a con?

The Palm Pre advert that should have been http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAHsz8BxDk

Madam - I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception. Groucho Marx
    I believe it is legit, though they've only gotten voice and txt messages working, no data yet
    I would assume Con just because personally when I've activated a phone OTA you dont just call a number and viola your phone is activated, you've usually got to talk to someone or punch in at least your phone number. But then again I've never been with Verizon so I could be wrong, Just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm sure it's true.

The Pre supports the 800/1900 MHz frequencies both Verizon and Sprint use. Also, the master subsidy lock code is easily obtained since it's stored plain text in RAM. This doesn't surprise me.

Sprint coverage isn't the best here, but come on, Verizon doesn't even have 3G. Even AT&T has decent 3G here. So Verizon and their overpriced $45 a month data plans are a no-go for me.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    You'd need to change the MNC (mobile network code) to Verizon's, then program it for Verizon's network. The big issue is getting the ESN activated on Verizon's network. As far as I know, Verizon won't activate a foreign (not purchased from them) phone on their network, so you'd probably need to purchase a new phone from them and clone the ESN (illegal).

Then again, I don't know much about Verizon's offerings now.
    The guy who did that, made a post about it here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/we...g-verizon.html
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by eddieck View Post
    As far as I know, Verizon won't activate a foreign (not purchased from them) phone on their network, so you'd probably need to purchase a new phone from them and clone the ESN (illegal).

Then again, I don't know much about Verizon's offerings now.
    You can bring a "foreign" CDMA phone to Verizon Network...

they've been doing it for over a year or so now...

So you can bring a Sprint phone to Verizon, what's the big deal? | The Mobile Gadgeteer | ZDNet.com
    Verizon Wireless To Let You Use Any Phone On Its Network
    Verizon Wireless opens network to "Any Apps, Any Device" in 2008

Although I can't find the actual press release from them