Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I've had Total Equipment Protection added to my Sprint account, until now. I've made the decision to remove that to save some money.

As someone who has to have the latest and greatest, I typically upgrade my smartphone every year. I did that with the original iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and now the Pre. Therefore, the maximum useful life of my smartphone is only one year.

Total Equipment Protection combines both repair (for defective devices) and insurance (for accidental damage, loss, or theft). TEP is actually two programs in one: the Equipment Replacement Program (ERP) for insurance and the Equipment Service and Repair Program (ESRP) for device repair.

Because my device usefulness is only one year (after which I typically upgrade to the latest and greatest), with TEP I'm essentially paying for ESRP which I don't need, because in the event of a hardware failure Palm's 1-year warranty will cover me. And if a problem occurs after one year, I'll be a Sprint Premier customer by then ($69.99 recurring charge over 3 months and a 6 month tenure with Sprint), so I'll be able to purchase a new phone anyway.

I'm just posting this so you can consider whether TEP is really worth it or not. If you're like me, and I'm sure many of you are, you'll probably save some money by going with ERP or State Farm. Personally, my choice would be State Farm but I have other insurance products through them and don't want premiums or deductibles to go up should I have to file a claim.
    I change my phones often and generally the insurance isn't worth it to me.
    For me personally $7/month is worth not worrying about my phone being lost, stolen, broke, going for a swim or flat out dying.

even with the $100 deductible..
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I consider $4 a fairly smart investment. I actually dropped my first iPhone and cracked the screen. Cost me a few hundred to repair; it'd be so much better if I could have just paid a $100 deductible!
    TEP definitely worth it. Especially if you bought out of contract (AKA not due for an upgrade, so $550 price tag for me) And since this is a brand new OS and Hardware. I would not mind paying $100 to cover pretty much anything I do to the phone. I also upgrade my phone every 6-12 months. So yeah it's worth it IMO
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    i pulled it off my own plan, but kept it on my son's plan because he sometimes breaks or loses phones and it is WAY worth it...

he had a new pre that he'd waited months for - his bday was in march, but he sat and waited until june for this phone, then within 3 weeks it was stolen at the town skatepark (the kids all take their phones out when they're on the grindbox, usually one kid watches, not usually an issue because it's all locals BUT some other kids showed up and grabbed a load of phones) - so i call asurion, send over some forms and within 24 hours it is replaced - i paid 100 bucks to replace the pre, and that included overnight shipping for free on the replacement (that's about 38 bucks alone)...well worth the 7 bucks imho, it would have cost 500+ to replace out of pocket...

7 per month, 2 year contract: 168 bucks; replacement: 100 bucks, total 268 if stolen/lost once, plus100 for each incident, still works out for me personally...but if you only keep it in your pocket, then not to worry, TEP may be overkill

however, with all of hte complaints about hardware, i suspect that there will be a rash of false claims by year's end when a major hardware revision comes out (fixing wobbles, etc) and people will simply pay the 100 bucks to get a replacement for a mysteriously "lost" phone...
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyc View Post
    i pulled it off my own plan, but kept it on my son's plan because he sometimes breaks or loses phones and it is WAY worth it...

he had a new pre that he'd waited months for - his bday was in march, but he sat and waited until june for this phone, then within 3 weeks it was stolen at the town skatepark (the kids all take their phones out when they're on the grindbox, usually one kid watches, not usually an issue because it's all locals BUT some other kids showed up and grabbed a load of phones) - so i call asurion, send over some forms and within 24 hours it is replaced - i paid 100 bucks to replace the pre, and that included overnight shipping for free on the replacement (that's about 38 bucks alone)...well worth the 7 bucks imho, it would have cost 500+ to replace out of pocket...

7 per month, 2 year contract: 168 bucks; replacement: 100 bucks, total 268 if stolen/lost once, plus100 for each incident, still works out for me personally...but if you only keep it in your pocket, then not to worry, TEP may be overkill

however, with all of hte complaints about hardware, i suspect that there will be a rash of false claims by year's end when a major hardware revision comes out (fixing wobbles, etc) and people will simply pay the 100 bucks to get a replacement for a mysteriously "lost" phone...
    Yea add me to that. I'll definitely get my TEP monies worth with this phone "upgrading" to the newer hardware revisions...
    What hardware revisions?
    I would have made my kid pay at least part of that deductible.