Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    So, I'm getting the Pre Aug. 1. (Only after 2 months of being jerked around by Sprint Custumer Service and Retention Department that I could have had the Pre on release date and then on 7/1 and now it's 8/1....very long story there) and was wondering what criteria or check list I need to have to ensure I leave the store with a viable Pre. So guys, if you had to do it all over again...what would you ask or look for before walking out of the store feeling confident you bought a functional Pre?
    Make sure the phone is solid. Check the screen for dead/stuck pixels and/or light leakage around the edges.

By that time, Palm should have tightened up their quality, but check anyway.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    - No dead pixels. Check this by turning on YouTube or something like that...the black screen showed my dead pixels, but I was long gone from the store when I saw it.

- Check the slider quality. If it's a little loose in the store, in 3 weeks it will be a LOT loose. Use discretion in this one, though...a little play is okay, but if it's wiggling quite a bit you might want to give that one back.

Those are the two issues I've had in my two Pres. I'm on my third one now. I love the phone, but definitely make sure that you don't have a dud. Don't feel bad about giving one back if it's not satisfactory to you!!!!! Make sure you get what you are happy with.

Other than that, have fun with your new Pre! I love mine.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips! I'm really looking forward to getting the phone. It's been a long wait so far to get it, especially when my neighbor who has a Pre shows his off on purpose all the time and makes me druel. Only 22 more days!
    I'm curious the hardware issues others are seeing as well. I've had mine nearly 3 weeks and so far things seem okay. But I might not be looking for everything! What else should I be looking for? I don't see any dead pixels, don't see light leakage (not sure I'm looking for that right tho), I think my slider's wiggle room is minor and probably okay. What other hardware reasons are people returning their Pre?

I've heard some Pres have poor Bluetooth radios (mine might fit in that bucket as I hear static right next to the phone). Anything else? Thx,
    --Kyle
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    hit ##786# to check if its a refurb...

if your sprint store is like mine - they only have one for you - if you don't take it, you go back on the list and have to come back later. I'd say, take the phone no matter what - if there are issues, let them know and get put on the list for a replacement...
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Open and shut the slider with the phone on. Make sure you don't have a phone with a battery fit issue, or have them fix it. I believe some Techs are actually bending the contact prongs on the phone out to make sure the phone maintains contact with the battery. I'd make them do that on a new phone. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a broken prong.
    Im in the same boat as OP and his experience. I should have been eligible in December for rebate, sprint acknowledged their mistake but said there is nothing they can do and had to wait till 7/1. Now i am still on waiting list. May have been a blessing in disguise and will hopefully get a better quality phone.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevied3 View Post
    what would you ask or look for before walking out of the store feeling confident you bought a functional Pre?
    Let me start by saying that I do not have a Pre yet, but I am going to be getting one soon, so I do not know exactly how to perform all of these checks, but I think they should be relatively simple to figure out, or maybe someone else can follow up with more detailed instructions.

Here is what I plan to check before I leave the store:

1) check for a loose slider. Look for wobble and "oreo twist" with the slider open AND closed. A tiny bit of wobble may be fine.
    2) check the keyboard backlight to see if it seems even across the whole keyboard.
    3) check all the keys and buttons to make sure they all work. (including the volume buttons) Go to Device Info App, scroll to the bottom, hit More Info, then hit preferences menu in upper left corner, interactive tests, hardware buttons. This allows you to check all of the keyboard buttons. Hit Skip, this shows you the number of times the slider has been opened and allows you to test the slider sensor. Then you can test the volume buttons and ringer switch
    4) check the USB port door. Some people have said that it is very hard to open and could cause cracks in the surrounding plastic.
    5) check for small bubbles under the screen, especially near the edges and corners of the screen. It may be easier to see them with the screen turned off.
    6) check to see if the phone reboots when the slider is opened or closed.
    7) check for "light leakage". I think that this is where the screen backlight shines through the black border around the screen, especially in the gesture area. You may need to be in a dark room to see this though.
    8) Check for dead/stuck pixels. People have suggested looking at a grey screen to see these better. Also there is a built in app that helps find dead pixels which makes the whole screen cycle through a few different solid colors. I think this can be found within the Device Info App, hit more info, interactive tests, screen test.
    9) check the number of times the slider has been opened (to see if you got a phone that someone else has returned). (see #3 above).
    10) in the phone app dial ##786#. Check the refurb status, and the manufacture date (shown as "warrantydatecode"). The manufacture date has typically been 1-2 weeks prior to the date of purchase for new Pre's.
    11) check for white or discolored spots near the bottom of the screen or in the upper corners. This seems to happen only after the phone warms up a bit after continuous use.
    12) plug in the headphones, make sure they work, unplug them and make sure the phone does not get stuck in "head phone mode". I'm not sure how to tell when the phone is in headphone mode, maybe there is some kind of onscreen indicator or something? If not, then try calling someone and see if you can hear them through the normal earpiece on the phone.
    13) Take a few pictures to check the camera. I have not heard of any problems with this yet, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I guess that's all I know of for now. If anyone can elaborate on any of these points or has any more points to add, I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by polecat99; 07/13/2009 at 03:40 PM.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I finally got one over the weekend. It has just a little bit of the "oreo" problem when it is closed and you apply pressure to it, but it's only about 1mm, and as long as i dont push on it, it's ok. Other than that it seems fine.
    I did make the sales person open two boxes though, because the first one had the oreo problem a little worse and didnt require much presure at all to make it twist, it was fairly loose, also, it had a wider gap between the top and bottom halves. so i asked them to open a second one and it seems a little better in both aspects.
    Last edited by polecat99; 07/13/2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsackr View Post
    hit ##786# to check if its a refurb...

if your sprint store is like mine - they only have one for you - if you don't take it, you go back on the list and have to come back later. I'd say, take the phone no matter what - if there are issues, let them know and get put on the list for a replacement...
    Where does it tell you its a refurb on this screen?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Lauderdale View Post
    Where does it tell you its a refurb on this screen?
    Go into the phone app, with the green dial pad, and dial ##786#, this will take you to the Reverse Logistics Support screen which has lots of various information on it. The 5th line of info says "RECONDDATE", mine shows "--/--/----" for the date. Just under that is the line that says "RECONDSTATUS", mine says "no".
    polecat, thanks for the (rather comprehensive) list. I'm trying to think of other things to add. I'd say that once the phone is provisioned, you'll want to check that the data connection is working (just use the browser). If you have a company discount, make sure the Sprint rep has applied this. (I think they are pretty good about asking this question.) After you leave the store, it might be wise to try some calls in lower signal-strength areas just to see how the phone behaves.

EDIT: Let me add that my suggestions are just good things to check. They are not typically "potential problem areas" like PoleCat's list is.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!