Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so I was on the fence about trading in my BB Curve for the Palm Pre (PP?) or the new BB Tour. Since the Tour's not out for a few days now anyway, I figured I'd get the Pre, since that's the phone I originally wanted in the first place.

I do have to say, the Tour was tempting in the fact there are all sorts of apps immediately available, a few of which I am already familiar with. I know that's a statement that's been beat to death, but it is still a potential deciding factor. Anyway, I figured the WebOS of the Pre probably out weighed that factor. After I've been playing with it for about four hours, I believe I was right (so far at least ).

I have to admit, coming from the track ball, I thought some of the gestures to move the cards around and zoom in and out might be hard to pick up. However, this was not the case. The gestures were quickly learned and become second nature in no time. I am concerned the keyboard may be a bit too small though. My left hand was cramping up a bit since I had to manually input many of contacts from my old phone. This is one place where I like the benefit of having a SIM card from my old provider, AT&T.

Anyway, I love the screen, the intuitiveness of the OS and learning a new device. I know this will only get better as Palm is continually updating the OS. One thing I thought was interesting: it was already set up to pull emails "when received" as opposed to a preset time, like others were saying to avoid for battery life.

I also have the touchstone. It's a neat device but I didn't realize the bottom was actually a sticky gasket. As I don't know its final resting place yet, I almost stuck it on my desk by accident. The magnet is more powerful than I thought it would be and was able to charge my Pre quickly. I am waiting to see what type of battery life I get. I hope it's at least a days worth at, what I consider, a moderate amount of use.

Anyway, I didn't intend to write this much but I am looking forward to exploring my new computer, er, phone in the next few days. I now have to work on getting all my various internet passwords into the phone for quick responses.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    just dont play with it to much and you wont get quickly tired of it.
    I do have to say tho, this is the first phone I have played alot with and I have yet to get tired of it!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Yeah, the bottom tack of the Touchstone was a little of a surprise for me as well. I have mine on my nightstand, and had to put it on an index card so it didn't stick to the nightstand permanently. Another thing, when charging overnight, it really lights up my room. It is a little annoying, and I would like to figure out if I can 'turn off' the screen while on the touchstone.

As for your choice, I feel you have made a good one. Many people smarter than me, that I trust, are seriously considering jumping the iPhone ship and converting to Pres because of the WebOS. It is exciting, and this is just the beginning.
    The sticky substance on the bottom of the touchstone is "restickable". After a few times removing it it becomes less sticky but that's just because it picks up dust. Wash it off and it will stick just like new.
    Yup I used and stuck my TStone to 4 or 5 different spots while on vacation and in my Jeep.
    Just a touch of hand soap and water on your finger, swirl around the base and wipe off with lint free cloth and it's as good as new.
    to remove it a slight twist and up motion seems to break the seal and lets it lft the easiest.

The instinct had the same apps issue at first as well as most other OSs but in the end That thing did everything I needed it to and with the PRE I see no different
    Last edited by ImNoPrince; 07/09/2009 at 09:55 PM.
    Congrats! Enjoy your pre!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    I transported my touchstone back and forth between work and home for a couple weeks. A light wiping of it with a damp paper towel makes it almost as good as new!
    I just picked up my Touch Stone and I like it a lot.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad to read you can re-stick the TouchStone. With the cleaning trick mentioned, it reminds me of the "wacky wall walkers" you used to get cereal boxes and were all the rage.

Oh, one thing I did not comment on was the "oreo twist". I know a lot of people were responding that they received new ones and didn't have a problem, but mine, outta the box, has a bit of torsen that's allowed when it's closed. It also is a bit noticeable when pushing on the screen to select something, it will move slightly to the bottom half. When opened though, it has no torsen and feels solid. The way I see the movement when pushed right now is it's kinda like the BB Storm, a click screen.
    A little off topic, but what's so great about the Tour anyway? Why is it supposed to be better than the Bold? Or the Curve 8900?
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    The sticky substance on the bottom of the touchstone is "restickable". After a few times removing it it becomes less sticky but that's just because it picks up dust. Wash it off and it will stick just like new.
    Yes, I remember reading it's like a gecko's sticky pads...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    A little off topic, but what's so great about the Tour anyway? Why is it supposed to be better than the Bold? Or the Curve 8900?
    Larger keyboard, like the ones you've mentioned on Sprint's network. The others aren't CDMA. The Bold is supposedly still going to be the "top of the line" but the processor is just a little slower and it should have the 5.0 OS with all the other BB functionality. I'm already getting pissy about the Pre but that'll be for another thread.
    Actually, the 'big deal' about the BB tour is that its a world phone.
    You had to type your contacts in, did you have them also stored in your computer, either Outlook, Google, Facebook, or even AOL?

You could have imported your contacts from almost anything that you had them stored on, except of course, your old SIM card.

But you are going to love never having to worry about that damm SIM card ever again.

And quite frankly the SIM card was very old technology and you have to enter a person with multiple entries if they had more than one phone number. Now you have one name and in that contact you can have multiple phone numbers, address, etc.

Enjoy!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Lover View Post
    Larger keyboard, like the ones you've mentioned on Sprint's network. The others aren't CDMA. The Bold is supposedly still going to be the "top of the line" but the processor is just a little slower and it should have the 5.0 OS with all the other BB functionality. I'm already getting pissy about the Pre but that'll be for another thread.
    It only has 256 MB memory on board that is a deal breaker for me,

The Only Phone I have envy for that somewhat rivals the Pre is the Nokia N97

It uses wiggits and has fully QWERTY slide out built strong, has a track pad touch screen. 5.0 Mp camera Carl Zeiss lens, ( although I don't rely on any cell phone camera to take detailed shots it is a nice feature.

The most Impressive is the 32GB on board memory ( expandable to 64 with MicroSD) Video recording. pretty impressive....!
    Quote Originally Posted by Addie_Goodvibes View Post
    It only has 256 MB memory on board that is a deal breaker for me,

The Only Phone I have envy for that somewhat rivals the Pre is the Nokia N97

It uses wiggits and has fully QWERTY slide out built strong, has a track pad touch screen. 5.0 Mp camera Carl Zeiss lens, ( although I don't rely on any cell phone camera to take detailed shots it is a nice feature.

The most Impressive is the 32GB on board memory ( expandable to 64 with MicroSD) Video recording. pretty impressive....!
    It also has the same CPU as the old iPhone 3G, runs terribly slow, has a horrid interface, a resistive touchscreen instead of capacitive (think stylus), and refuses to respond at random times like on incoming calls. See the Engadget review. It's pretty terrible, especially for the price.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Congrats..You will love your new Pre.
    Go Duke!!!!
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Good move. Phone is awsome, i just wish i could use it more!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Congrats. Hope you continue to enjoy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    It also has the same CPU as the old iPhone 3G, runs terribly slow, has a horrid interface, a resistive touchscreen instead of capacitive (think stylus), and refuses to respond at random times like on incoming calls. See the Engadget review. It's pretty terrible, especially for the price.
    I agree I have read reviews, I just think Palm could have come to the table with a bit more out of the launch such as more memory for starters 1st gen I phones offered up to 16gb. & a track pad or track ball with select option would make the Pre a BB killer & Iphone Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast