Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wasn't sure were to post this thread so here it is. Anyway, this is actually not my 1st bill technically. I upgraded from an individual plan to a family share plan and added my wife. The thing is, the bill is full of credits and charges and everything. It is very detailed, but it's like you need to be an accountant to make sense of it (which actually my wife is so maybe she can splain it to me). I was just wondering, do other carriers make you pay for the next month ahead of time like Sprint does? I guess that's why my bill is $268 instead of closer to $129 (got 1500 min plan). Also, did everyone get charged an activation fee of $26 to add a line if you did, and a device upgrade fee of $18 per line? Why would I pay an upgrade fee when I am buying 2 new phones and why would I pay an activation fee when I'm giving you more business with an additional line. I know most companies charge the activation fee, but come on. You're losing customers and want to charge the ones that want to stay more money to stay? I will probably call and hopefully get most of those extra charges waived. I guess I just kinda wanted to vent from seeing the $268 bill when I was expecting it to be like $150 at the most.
    I called sprint and they refunded the activation fee. I was a new customer so they credited it before I even finished the sentence.
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    Well for monthly fee's...you are going to have to pay it at some time...

And for other fee's...it's a cell phone. You need it...they can charge whatever they want. It breaks down to less than $2 a month over your contract...and you are already paying 140ish...
    Phone: 700p > Pre
    PMP: Archos 605 (30GB) and iPod Touch (16GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre Diddy View Post
    I wasn't sure were to post this thread so here it is. Anyway, this is actually not my 1st bill technically. I upgraded from an individual plan to a family share plan and added my wife. The thing is, the bill is full of credits and charges and everything. It is very detailed, but it's like you need to be an accountant to make sense of it (which actually my wife is so maybe she can splain it to me). I was just wondering, do other carriers make you pay for the next month ahead of time like Sprint does? I guess that's why my bill is $268 instead of closer to $129 (got 1500 min plan). Also, did everyone get charged an activation fee of $26 to add a line if you did, and a device upgrade fee of $18 per line? Why would I pay an upgrade fee when I am buying 2 new phones and why would I pay an activation fee when I'm giving you more business with an additional line. I know most companies charge the activation fee, but come on. You're losing customers and want to charge the ones that want to stay more money to stay? I will probably call and hopefully get most of those extra charges waived. I guess I just kinda wanted to vent from seeing the $268 bill when I was expecting it to be like $150 at the most.
    Yes all carriers that I know of make you pay a month ahead. I work for Cricket Wireless on the side and they do the same thing. If you call sprint they will most likely refund the upgrade fees without question. Just tell them that you were not aware of the charge when you upgraded.
    I was just wondering, do other carriers make you pay for the next month ahead of time like Sprint does?
    helio apparently did, i had a bill for $70something that i didn't pay i was just going to wait till they added the next half a month bill to it and then pay it all off. then i got a bill for like $37 and thats all i owed so i had to go back and look at all my bank transactions to make sure i didn't pay the other $70 and forgot about it.
    They all do that. You essentially are a month ahead on the bill and they bill you for the partial you used up to your first billing date making your first payment higher.
    This afternoon on my drive home from work, I called Sprint customer service and told them I would like them to waive my upgrade fee. The CSR on the phone said, "No problem." It took maybe 5 minutes and it was done.

I don't see what the complaint is about really.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I just purchased 3 Pre's onto my account Only 1 got a device upgrade fee of $18. I just emailed customer service and they removed the fee. They also said since the phone was not available through Telesales they would remove the fee. She also mentioned sometimes the fee might show up on the bill within 1-2 cycles. She made notes on my account if those additional fees show up on my other 2 Pre's
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Yes, my bill was full of credits and charges. (I've been a Sprint customer for 10 years and I never seen a bill like that before) I took one look and decided I didn't have the energy to analyze it fully. I'll do that tomorrow maybe.
  10.    #10  
    So if I'm paying a month ahead and I cancel, they are going to send me a check? Has anyone done this or do they just not cancel your service until the time you have already paid for is up? Because that would be BS.
    And I wasn't complaining. Like I said, I was venting. Difference.
    I just got my bill today & was also shocked @ the fees! We were not aware of said upgrade fees! We have on.e per line! Then, we have the month ahead thing too! That's kinda misleading & I didn't hear anyone mention it when I was inline.

Wonder how long it takes to get through to CS on the phone right now??
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Heh - I know the 'shell shock' experience well too. My $129 plan's first bill was $310. They charged $36 for the account, then $26 per device activation fee, then $12 shipping for them, then charged for two months in one.

The first person I called said no to waiving activation, the 2nd person said no, the 3rd person who called me (one of those random - are you satisfied with sprint calls - don't think they expect to hear "Actually no"), the 4th person waived the activation fees.
    So if I'm paying a month ahead and I cancel, they are going to send me a check? Has anyone done this or do they just not cancel your service until the time you have already paid for is up?
    I would love to know the answer to this as well. I had no idea about the month ahead as an existing customer. I ended up talking to so many Account Services Managers trying to get someone to answer the question about if I cancel do you give my money back-- no one wanted to answer that one.

Eventually, they actually credited my whole invoice (I actually have a slight credit)-- I didn't even ask them to either. While that was not my goal, I just wanted someone to rationally explain the invoice to me, they could tell that I was very frustrated and they went above and beyond to make sure that I was happy.

Not to sound like a Sprint fanboy, but they were very professional and kept in constant contact with me. If only everything was explained better during the upgrade/activation process, they would not have any of these issues. Why not generate an estimated first invoice? If they would make that a business process, there wouldn't be online postings like this thread. It's the simple things
    yes a bunch of charges...but it says since this is the first bill, they will go away.
    no weird charges on my bill just a $36 dollar activation fee which I was expecting since I'm a new customer
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    My bill was a mess (so to speak) too, no one mentioned the month ahead thingy to me either - and - when I used my "upgrade" to go from a 650 to Centro I didn't have all this on my first bill... still need to go thru it - not looking forward to it - but the total $296 is not a happy number as I just shelled out more than $400 when getting the phone and must wait "how long?".... for $100 of that back. Pay (a month) in advance and wait (a few months) for a refund aren't exactly consumer friendly practicies IMHO. Seems they're consistently favoring one side of this contractual relationship.
    I work for Time Warner Cable. We bill a cycle ahead as well. If I got a nickel for every call like this I'd be rich. Some get it some dont but it took me a few months to be able to explain it with confidence to a subscriber, so I dont get to upset if they are fustrated. Dont even threaten to cancel cause of it though it makes you look stupid.
    Example we will use whole numbers to make it easy.
    You have an individual plan for $10 a month unlimited (dont you wish)
    Your bill prints on Jan 01 for your services period of 01/15 to 2/14. (future dates)
    You call to change your plan on Jan 15th 14 days after we printed and mailed out your bill. Your new plan is now a family plan for $20 unltd. (at this point you probably already got your bill and paid for it.)

Feb 1 comes and your bill is for $30! Oh boy are you pissed off! You get on the phone with a sprint rep ready to rip him a new one! "So and so told me my plan would be $20/m!"
    Now if you took a look at your bill you would see from 2/15 to 3/14 the family plan is $20.
    There's also a partial month line which show 1/15 to 2/14 for $10. This is the difference between your individual plan to your new plan that you change on 1/15. We are just catching you to your previous cycle for the new change. This is were I loss most of the subs that dont want to listen and think we're just trying to rape them. You get your full month and a prorate for a partial month of the new service for the last statement.
    Then if you ended up canceling it because your dont understand it on Feb 15 we'd give you an adjust on your bill and not charge you the cycle from 2/15-3/14. We would only collect the partial month from 1/15-2/14 of $10 cause you have already used it.
    Trust me its still confuses people every day and I tell them to get the previous bill and current bill so they can follow me. If you just through it out like this with out the statements they get more confused.
    Yes I hate my job but damn I am good at it and it pays well. Your lucky if you get a customer service rep like myself. I have had management come to me and offer me a higher position that pays less and deals with all the irrate customers. I get it move up the corporate latter you need to take one for the team but with this economy and 3 kids, mortgage, cars and wife, cant do it. Rant over.
    Last edited by drunkinmonk; 07/09/2009 at 08:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtiis View Post
    My bill was a mess (so to speak) too, no one mentioned the month ahead thingy to me either - and - when I used my "upgrade" to go from a 650 to Centro I didn't have all this on my first bill... still need to go thru it - not looking forward to it - but the total $296 is not a happy number as I just shelled out more than $400 when getting the phone and must wait "how long?".... for $100 of that back. Pay (a month) in advance and wait (a few months) for a refund aren't exactly consumer friendly practicies IMHO. Seems they're consistently favoring one side of this contractual relationship.
    Like any rebates (that aren't instant) come in a shorter time frame? If you are unsure of the bill call and they will explain it to you, and remove whatever isn't fair
    When I got my Pre at the store the guy explained that the first bill would be doubled. However, I didn't understand why and actually still dont really, so I questioned it and he mentioned that "all the companies do that". [I don't recall having to ever pay a doubled bill before, and leaving Verizon, I did not get any money back nor did I ever have a month of reserve payment when late] He said it's kind of like when you get an apartment and they ask for a month's rent deposit - technicially your paying for a month of rent in advance in case you leave early or cause some sort of damage.... but in that case, it's just that... a deposit.. you ultimately get it back if all goes well.

My concern now is, how is paying a month ahead for phone service anything like a deposit for the aparment? Granted, if you fall back the bill will be paid but shouldn't that be optional to us? Or WILL it be paid? I bet they still bill you or charge a late fee!! Do we get this back at some point?? The end of the contract maybe? Aside from that it doesn't make sense to me....
    I wasn't completely baffled because I knew what charges were gonna be on there, although I wasn't expecting the activation fee and some other stuff.. I got the $99 Everything Plan, and my bill is like 168.xx ($30 Activation fee, somethin else, taxes...)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast