Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    The pro-rating thing is really confusing for a lot of people. I jumped ship from Verizon which cut my bill enough that my termination fee was less than 2 months of what I was paying them, so I'm loving Sprint right now. I overheard the guy at the Sprint store trying to explain to another customer how the prorating worked, lets see if I can remember it.

The prorating lets Sprint turn on the services "Today" as opposed to the first day that your wireless plan would go in to effect. Your cell plan is like paying for rent, not a mortgage. You pay for the time that you are going to use, not the time that you have already used. If you decide to cut out early, you signed a contract that you will pay for that whole month whether or not you use it.

In my case, I bought my phone on July 17, my first billing period didn't start until the 20th. My first bill ended up being near $83 after taxes and those extra charges that they can never explain to you. My 2nd month ended up being just under $76, because by their calculations, the 2 days that I had the phone before my first billing date was worth $7 of the plan.

Now lets say that my billing date would have been the 10th based on the same purchase date of the 17th. The prorate would be almost a full month of service, plus the next full month of service because I need to "prepay" for the time I'm expecting to use in August, but I need to pay for the time that I have already used in July, which would have been over 3 weeks.

I'm sure I'm missing something, but its the best that I can explain it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre Diddy View Post
    So if I'm paying a month ahead and I cancel, they are going to send me a check? Has anyone done this or do they just not cancel your service until the time you have already paid for is up? Because that would be BS.
    And I wasn't complaining. Like I said, I was venting. Difference.
    Sprint will not send you a check. I cancelled my service with them last month and paid my bill for this month (September) and now they are wanting me to pay for service for October! I told them no way would I pay the bill because I was told by a rep when I cancelled that I would just have to pay that one bill for September and would not get another one and also that since they bill a month in advance that they were not going to get paid for October since they already got paid for September. (The rep didn't know what to say when I mentioned about them billing a month in advance). The only way I would have had another bill coming was for going over my minutes, texts or internet usage, which I had none of.

When I cancelled my service in August on the day that my contract ended and I was told that my account could not be cancelled until my billing date, but that they would set it up to cancel. Well I called two days after my bill date ended and guess what they never cancelled me!! I am now waiting for a supervisor to call me back to tell me if they are going to waive this so called last bill, either way they are not getting any more money out of me!

Oh yea and they are also claiming that the rep never typed anything on my account about not getting another bill, that is what they are trying to use against me to get more money. I have been with Sprint for over 8 yrs and over the years I have had this problem time and time again a rep saying something and saying they will note it on my account and they never do!! So when you attempt to cancell be prepared for a nightmare!!
    Last edited by j77boots; 09/13/2009 at 02:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i'm an accountant. i have a masters degree. i move millions of $ around every day. my sprint bill baffles me unless it is straight up no changes, credits, etc. i can figure it out but its as hard as anything i do for work. i couldn't imagine figuring it out w/out an accy degree.
    My Sprint bill is 25 pages long and $1308.54. This is for 2 phones. We got it a few days ago, I haven't even looked at it. I'm gonna call next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    i'm an accountant. i have a masters degree. i move millions of $ around every day. my sprint bill baffles me unless it is straight up no changes, credits, etc. i can figure it out but its as hard as anything i do for work. i couldn't imagine figuring it out w/out an accy degree.
    im IN school right now getting my accounting degree (8 more months :-P) my bill has a few credits and changes (bout 5 or 6) i can use this for my homework practice!! j/k
    when you guys say you are paying for the month in advance, are you speaking in terms of upgrades only? As far as I can tell, in the 10+ years at Sprint, I've never had to pay for a month in advance. Perhaps I am missing something obvious though. I also never had to pay a deposit, or had a spending limit or anything.
    no 'Thanks'
    im extremely baffled by my first bill lol, anything i can do to get activation fee waived?
    Yeah, I was also shocked when I saw it on my bill. When I called Sprint to dispute a whole bunch of charges (this one included) they explained it to me. It didn't make a lot of sense at the time, but it was a supervisor that I was talking to so I figured it was legit. Asked on here if Sprint really did charge a month in advance, and got pretty much the same responses you're getting.

In theory, it's rather sound reasoning. I just wish they'd inform you about it sometime before your bill comes in for twice what you're expecting (which can really mess a whole lot of people up financially if they're on a strict budget).
    ithink they should also tell you your bill will come in like 10 days too -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    when you guys say you are paying for the month in advance, are you speaking in terms of upgrades only? As far as I can tell, in the 10+ years at Sprint, I've never had to pay for a month in advance. Perhaps I am missing something obvious though. I also never had to pay a deposit, or had a spending limit or anything.
    You haven't noticed it in the past 10 years because you haven't added any new plans to your bill.

Most of the people who've had this problem (myself included) needed to add an entirely new plan to their bill in order to cover the Pre's data. Whenever a new plan is added, they charge you the month in advance, kind of like a security deposit on an apartment. If you should choose to cancel your plan before that month's billing cycle is completed, they'll prorate the pre-paid month and give you back the difference. Or so I'm told.
    We also paid the activation fees for the 3 lines that were set up. When my son decided that he wanted a Pre within the 30 day return time, they charged us the $18. upgrade fee. I called Sprint and they immediately took it off without hesitation. I guess I could have asked for the activation fees as well, but we were new customers and I felt this was fair, but definitely not to the upgrade fee.
    We always paid ahead at Verizon and if you don't time it right you end up paying a little from the previous month too.
    Now I am waiting for a credit from Verizon. I overpaid them of all things. I left them on July 12 and am still waiting for a check.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    just got my first Sprint bill after upgrading my plan with my pre, and its perfect, not one error.

They took off the 18 dollar upgrade fee automatically didnt even have to ask. My 25% discount was correct.

Also got a letter last week about my plan changes and it was correct also, so IMHO Sprint has really stepped up their customer service.

Now if my bill is correct next month I really will be happy lol
    Quote Originally Posted by jasetroncs View Post
    You haven't noticed it in the past 10 years because you haven't added any new plans to your bill.

Most of the people who've had this problem (myself included) needed to add an entirely new plan to their bill in order to cover the Pre's data. Whenever a new plan is added, they charge you the month in advance, kind of like a security deposit on an apartment. If you should choose to cancel your plan before that month's billing cycle is completed, they'll prorate the pre-paid month and give you back the difference. Or so I'm told.
    I've changed plans 5 times in 10 years. When I got my very first cell phone at Radio Shack in 1999, I paid $150 for the phone, and nothing--until the first bill came in.
    no 'Thanks'
    It doesn't seem so baffling to me...and I've had the same thing happen to me with other carriers (e.g., AT&T, when I first got AT&T and when I switched plans), so I'm pretty used to the proration concept + pay one month ahead concept.
    Weird, they used to just run a credit-check on you. Maybe now they require the one-month ahead.
    no 'Thanks'
    My last bill encompassed July 24 -> August 23, and was available for payment as of August 27th.

I just don't see the pre-pay stuff here. I never paid in advance before--does this mean that over time somehow Sprint managed to sneak in small increases to my bill so that I am now a month ahead in payments, and if I cut my service off mid-month, I would get my money back?
    no 'Thanks'
    My bill was about $800 for the two pre's
    wait before the upgrade, were you on your current billing cycle, I ask because, if you didnt pay your bill before the upgrade they will charge your account the new plan price + your current bill aka now a (Pro-rated charge)... if not then you got yourself a problem... as far as the activation fees, they should have been waived automatically, and fee for a second line well that makes no sense unless your account has a spending limit or isnt qualified for a second line... but yeah... so Id call to remove all them fee
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwithachance View Post
    im extremely baffled by my first bill lol, anything i can do to get activation fee waived?
    I didnt pay one. I think it was because I had a phone already when I signed up, but i still qualify for the $150 credit if I do buy one from them... weird.

And yes Sprint prepays. They told me upfront they do this and that my first bill would be larger. My bill even separated the charges by the date ranges the charges were going towards.

T mobile is one carrier I know that postpays. I recently switched from them. as a side note: the only thing I miss from Tmobile is thier customer service. Sprint could learn a few things from them in that category!
    My first bill was fine. everything was accounted for, even the cut off of my old plan halfway thru the period was right on. never really had bill issues with sprint.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234