Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My first bill is 112.88. That includes 4 aircards (unlimited data) and 2 pres with unlimited everything. I don't want to call them and say I shouldn't be in the Sprint Employee's plan...
    Complained about Sprint charging me a month in advane without letting me know... i didnt get it waived but the finance department gracioulsy let me pay "as much as i can" before the due date and then just call back after one week to let them know i will pay the rest on the next bill.
  3.    #43  
    I was told that too, but they also said if I did that I would be charged a late fee if the full balance wasn't paid by the due date.
    Don't forget you could be getting Pro-Rated if you changed your plan in the middle of a billing cycle. That always F's things up real nice.
    Always be ready for a big bill when you change a plan.
    The guy I spoke to reminded me that stuff will be all wonky on that first bill.
    I just pre-pay my plan for the year so I dont have to worry about any of that bill stuff. lol I hate bills
    they charged be an 18 dollar activation fee, then canceled it....
    This is not something that is unique or new to Sprint. Cable, satellite and land based telephone companies do the same thing. When I had dial-up ISP they did this also. This practice has been industry standard for well over a decade. Probably longer.

And yes in answer to the question earlier. If you cancel and they prorate the bill and end up with a credit they are required to send you a check.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    But here's the interesting part: they do this each time you change. In other words, the last time I changed plans, I also got a bigger than normal bill because they were forward billing. OK, but then shouldn't I now get that back?

For example (somewhat simplified). Suppose I'm on a $50 plan and I change plans in the middle of the month (let's say March 15, 2005) to a $100 plan. My new bill is $50 (current month bill) minus $25 (prorate the old $50 plan for only half the month) + $50 (prorate the second half of the month for the new $100 plan) + $100 (to cover the "one month in advance).

OK, but then if I move from the $100 plan to a $200 plan on March 15, 2009, my new bill is: $100 - $50 (old plan for half month) + $200 - $100 (new plan for half month) + $200 (new plan, one month in advance).

Shouldn't I have received back the extra $100 I paid in 2005?
    I think they adopted this billing technique from nextel.

And they credit your card when you cancel mid month.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have switched plans multiple times, and it's always the same and it's quite straight forward as to why your bill is higher. I always use a calculator to double check the bill and it comes out to the penny every time.

1. Sprint makes you pay one month in advance (so you will get a FULL months worth of charges right off the bat).
    2. Since you pay in advance, you get get credit for the days you didn't use for your OLD plan.
    3. Since your new plan started in the middle of your cycle, you need to pay for the remaining days in the cycle at the HIGHER rate.

Example (30 day billing cycle)
    1. OLD PLAN: $60 a month (or $2 a day) due 1st of the month
    2. NEW PLAN: $120 a month (or $4 a day)
    3. SWITCH OVER DATE: 15 days into billing cycle (July 15)

You paid $60 in advance for July and used only 15 days: +$30 CREDIT
    Your new rate is $120 and you need to pay for the rest of July (15 days left): -$60 DEBIT
    You need to pay for August in advance: -$120 DEBIT
    Total charges: $180 (yikes!)

So if you switched over your plan near the beginning of the billing cycle, you can see your bill DOUBLE, which really sucks, but at least it checks out.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    But here's the interesting part: they do this each time you change. In other words, the last time I changed plans, I also got a bigger than normal bill because they were forward billing. OK, but then shouldn't I now get that back?

For example (somewhat simplified). Suppose I'm on a $50 plan and I change plans in the middle of the month (let's say March 15, 2005) to a $100 plan. My new bill is $50 (current month bill) minus $25 (prorate the old $50 plan for only half the month) + $50 (prorate the second half of the month for the new $100 plan) + $100 (to cover the "one month in advance).

OK, but then if I move from the $100 plan to a $200 plan on March 15, 2009, my new bill is: $100 - $50 (old plan for half month) + $200 - $100 (new plan for half month) + $200 (new plan, one month in advance).

It doesn't quite work that way. You didn't pay an extra $100. If you switch over to a new plan in March 2009, you'll get a prorated credit for the month you paid in advance.

You would be short $100 if you just paid your bill and then canceled your phone service the next day (or switched carriers). Not sure if Sprint would refund you the money you paid in advance. So if you plan on switching or canceling, best to do it near the end of your billing cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post

Remember the bill isn't immediate. The changes show on the NEXT bill. So if you are cycling at the 1st of the month (to use your simple example). Then yes you will pay $100 but that is for the Month of April. The 1/2 was for the 2nd part of March. The credited 1/2 was for what you paid on March 1st.

So continue forward and you pay your bill on March 1st 2009. You are payign for the month of March. Your April bill will show the plan changes for you changing on March 15th. Credit $50 (last half of old plan paid on March 1st. $100 charge (1/2 a month of March for new plan) and the full $200 for the month of April.

Now you are back on track. It can be confusing but it really does work out.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I was charged for three activation fees (extra 54 dollars) i could only get them to remove 2 of them..
    Go Duke!!!!
    My bill was 200.00 and some change which included two 18.00 upgrade fees. I called up Sprint and the gave me a 36.00 credit. You guys were right, it pays to call customer service.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Wow, $88 in activation fees for a new 3-line plan and my employer's discount is not reflected either. Sprint will be receiving a call tomorrow needless to say.

Also, are the "Sprint surcharges" always this high or is it just a first month thing? I had $26 in surcharges!
    When my mom went from verizon to att mid month and got a full bill, she called verizon and told them that she had canceled mid month and how much did she really owe - she only had to pay for a few days. I'm sure it's the same for all of them.

You should have seen the charges on my new verizon fios bill the first month, activation fees for the tv and also the internet!! And the bill was almost double, with all the activation fees and taxes and the month ahead.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Electric and water companies commonly bill in advance too. They not only bill in advance, they bill for what they EXPECT you will use that month based on what you used last year for that month, or what other houses in the area use. Some states made this kind of billing illegal, but some areas allow it still.
    I hate to keep this issue going, but I just got off of online chat with Sprint where I think there are different charges than just activation fees and upgrade fees.

I'll use round numbers for ease. My prior bill was around $90 per month. When looking at my payment history, I paid $90 in May, June, July and then my charge for August was around $220. I questioned this and they told me that because I changed my plan mid-cycle, I was being charged a fee for changing my plan.

So I recieved calls weekly to extend my contract, went in, upgraded a phone, signed a new 2 year agreement, and they charge me for it. That's absurd. She actually admitted to me that the only way I could avoid this charge was to come in on the exact day my billing cycle ended. After arguing for about a half hour, she credited my account the "mid-cycle fee" of $75 but she would not refund my upgrade fee of $18.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre Diddy View Post
    So if I'm paying a month ahead and I cancel, they are going to send me a check? Has anyone done this or do they just not cancel your service until the time you have already paid for is up? Because that would be BS.
    And I wasn't complaining. Like I said, I was venting. Difference.
    Yes, the do...eventually. They don't like to write checks, so your going to have to wait a few months (or possibly years) for them to send it to you. I'm still waiting on a check from a cancelled account close to two years ago. I know, I'm lazy, but sprint makes up for it for not keeping a good record of my upgrades. I've had three full upgrades in the last year.
    Quick question... Everyone keeps saying if they cancel then they will get a refund... what if I don't cancel and I pay the month in advance, I won't have anything due the following month then correct?

Example: I got the phone and the bill came in for august and sept(month in advance).. so does that mean next month's bill won't have me owning anything? If that is the case ok that is fine, but I just want to make sure I won't be getting another bill the month after because I paid in advanced
    No. your next bill will show October. You are constantly paying a month ahead, that is not a one time thing. It is just that the first bill is unusually large because you are paying for the already used (and previously unpaid amount) PLUS the month ahead.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast